The Cricket

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
palerider

Re: The Cricket

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:51 am

Neville Bartos wrote:Cook's only 33. I'd like to have seen him take a year out of the game rather than retire. See how he felt afterwards.
Still maybe he's just had enough, and with the shite he's had to open with over the last couple of years, who can blame him.
We're fucked without him imo.

The whole team's packed with number 7's except Jennings, who doesn't look test class, and Root, who's hopelessly out of form and not capable of grinding it out when the ball's moving about as his shot in the first innings proved.

Cook's had 13 different opening partners since Strauss. None of them good enough. Rory Burns is the next name, but again, not test material. Of what I've seen this summer I'd seriously consider putting Ben Stokes in as opener. He's got the technique and he's the one player who looks like he has the patience.

And I'd bring Ian Bell back for the winter tour.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:19 am

Fuck me, what a time for Cook to find form.
Retiring at 33 seems too soon. Especially as there's no-one to replace him.
England's top 5, sans Cook, might be the worst I can recall.
No established openers, we're using all-rounders as number 3s, Root looks shite since he's been made captain, and a non keeping wicket keeper gets the nod at 5.
6 and 7 are the only areas we've got a bit of quality and depth, but since they often find themselves at the crease before 3 figures are on the board it's usually backs to the wall stuff rather than pushing the score on.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:42 am

At least Root's hit a bit of form although he was dropped twice. But Nev's spot-on.

Sri Lanka and the West Indies in the winter will be trial by spin, and we're crap away from home in any case, but the real issue now is next summer's ashes and the Aussies must be licking their lips, especially with Warner and Smith back from chokey.

The rise in popularity of T20 has created a generation of English players just wanting to smash it out of the park and not prepared to knuckle-down to playing test cricket. In fact I can see test cricket being dead in the water soon.

Sad.
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:27 am

Well done Cookie...simply brilliant,what a way to Bow out....crowd were great as well made it
a special day for him.

Think he just needed rebooting,seemed to be playing under to much pressure,concentration
was drifting.
Think its a spending more time with family for him as well,2 more long tours coming up,
cant be a lot of fun being away from your family so much.

Prob one of the toughest jobs in Sport ..Opening bat..team game,but your very much on your
own out there,facing the worlds best bowlers with a new ball..

Talkin bout worlds best bowlers......Jimmy Anderson should become Highest Wicket Taking
Pace Bowler today.....another great achievement.....didn't think he would stand up for
all 5 tests....Great Bowler..
0 x

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 am

palerider wrote:At least Root's hit a bit of form although he was dropped twice. But Nev's spot-on.

Sri Lanka and the West Indies in the winter will be trial by spin, and we're crap away from home in any case, but the real issue now is next summer's ashes and the Aussies must be licking their lips, especially with Warner and Smith back from chokey.

The rise in popularity of T20 has created a generation of English players just wanting to smash it out of the park and not prepared to knuckle-down to playing test cricket. In fact I can see test cricket being dead in the water soon.

Sad.

Yeah Test Cricket Def on the wain.......from what I see,it's only over here that generates the big
crowds still..Shame......nothing beats a close test match...
The One dayers have def become glorified 20/20s......250 used to be a decent knock,now
lucky to win with it.

To me it's a bit like 5 a side footie becoming the main event...footballwise...
there's room for it....great game enjoy it...bout its not proper footie..
0 x

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:24 pm

For the first time in the series, the ball isn't swinging around corners. And the England spinners are bowling shyte. India could win this, I believe it would be a world record chase.

Just shows the lack of depth in our test squad and the realisation that like Cook with the batting, when Anderson retires we're deeply in the brown stuff.

I can't believe we've won the series.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:29 pm

palerider wrote:At least Root's hit a bit of form although he was dropped twice.
At least he's English which makes a change from a good many errr "England" cricketers in recent years.
palerider wrote: But Nev's spot-on.

Sad.
Not a problem. Surely there must be the odd South African or Aussie who has an English connection somewhere out there.

Fucking stupid game anyway. Should be bottled and sold as a cure for insomnia. ;)

How on earth can you have a game that can last for 4 or 5 days and it's still possible not to get a winner ?
0 x
I demand answers. And I demand them now. Why is there only one monopolies commission ?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
palerider wrote:At least Root's hit a bit of form although he was dropped twice.
At least he's English which makes a change from a good many errr "England" cricketers in recent years.
palerider wrote: But Nev's spot-on.

Sad.
Not a problem. Surely there must be the odd South African or Aussie who has an English connection somewhere out there.

Fucking stupid game anyway. Should be bottled and sold as a cure for insomnia. ;)

How on earth can you have a game that can last for 4 or 5 days and it's still possible not to get a winner ?
In the 30's they held a 'timeless' test in South Africa. Due to play until one team won. It lasted for 8 days.

The result......a draw.

England had to catch the boat home.

You'd have loved that one :lol:

Respect the point.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 pm

I've always loved Test cricket. When it used to be on the BBC there was something magical about it.
It can be epic and exciting -- Headingly 81 being the finest example -- but you could also nod off for three hours on a lazy sunny afternoon and miss absolutely nothing -- 2pm Boycott unbeaten on 12, Zzzzzzzzz 5pm Boycott unbeaten on 14.
And then there was Richie Benaud. I could listen to that man talk and tell stories about cricket forever.
It's a shame Twenty20 and ODI have killed off subtlety and craft in favour of instant gratification, but that's the modern world for you.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

hd1

Post by hd1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Cracking test match, really enjoyed being there Saturday.

Wish I'd been there Sunday to see Cooks ton though, and what a way to end your England career. Jimmy getting McGraths record with the very last wicket of the series, and Rashids 'Warne' ball were the icing on the cake
0 x