Equality in sport.

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Pennywise

Re: Equality in sport.

Postby Pennywise » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:43 am

mkhammer wrote:Agree mate......I'm all for equality......but that means you have to be equal...

Women ARE mens equals in most walks of life and it pisses me off,when they're treated and paid
less then men.......BBC stuff for instance,doing same job....same pay.....Simple...

There's lots of case's where there IS unfairness.....Sport isn't one of them...
The Tennis thing is a good example...in the Slams the men play 5 sets and attract far bigger crowds
They're working harder and generating more money,yet the women get the same prize money...
just over 2mill for the winners of both singles at Wimbledon this year... :o :i am genuinely amused:
I'm not overly bothered personally,no big deal,but it's people screaming out it's unfair it's unjust
that the girls get less that pisses me off..

But when that PC wagon shit gets rolling and people jump on board there's no stopping it
even if they're WRONG.....

Women don't get paid less for doing the same job. It's a myth. Paying a woman less than a man for doing the same job has been illegal in this country since 1970.
1 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:53 am

Gonzo wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:Reading this nonsense you do wonder where common sense has gone.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44404995

The simple facts are that watching sport is a predominantly male passtime.
That men are physically more capable than women at the most popular sports.
That women cannot compete equally with men in those sports. And as such, with one or two exceptions, the female versions are seen as inferior.

The equation is:
Less popular = less money = less pay.
Not
Women's sport = less pay.

I'm getting a bit tired of this kind of false equivalency.
Why don't we just make all sport unisex and see how much women earn then?

Absolutely, it's purely market forces.

When women's football can attract 50,000 fans into a stadium every week who are willing to pay £70 then they'll be paid accordingly.

Whilst they get 2000 people turn up paying a fiver they ain't going to get the same money.

Forget the sets in tennis because Sharipova or Williams are just as popular as Federer so they can fill a stadium and attract sponsorship.

Can anyone tell me who plays left wing for Man City ladies? Probably not so she won't sell a lot of football boots for Nike.

It's financial reality rather than a gender pay gap.

Spot on Gonzo.
1 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Pennywise wrote:
mkhammer wrote:Agree mate......I'm all for equality......but that means you have to be equal...

Women ARE mens equals in most walks of life and it pisses me off,when they're treated and paid
less then men.......BBC stuff for instance,doing same job....same pay.....Simple...

There's lots of case's where there IS unfairness.....Sport isn't one of them...
The Tennis thing is a good example...in the Slams the men play 5 sets and attract far bigger crowds
They're working harder and generating more money,yet the women get the same prize money...
just over 2mill for the winners of both singles at Wimbledon this year... :o :i am genuinely amused:
I'm not overly bothered personally,no big deal,but it's people screaming out it's unfair it's unjust
that the girls get less that pisses me off..

But when that PC wagon shit gets rolling and people jump on board there's no stopping it
even if they're WRONG.....

Women don't get paid less for doing the same job. It's a myth. Paying a woman less than a man for doing the same job has been illegal in this country since 1970.

Exactly fucking right.

I had this argument with my ex when we were together. When I made the above point about the gender pay disparity being illegal, I was told “Well, you’re either very naive or a chauvinist pig”.

I saw red, but held my tongue.
0 x

Pennywise

Postby Pennywise » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:31 pm

OZHAMMER wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

Exactly fucking right.

I had this argument with my ex when we were together. When I made the above point about the gender pay disparity being illegal, I was told “Well, you’re either very naive or a chauvinist pig”.

If it were true, companies would only employ women. Fact is over a lifetime, women, on average earn less than men. That is a very different thing entirely. Women very often take years out of work, a choice they make, which will mean, on average, they will earn less.

Here's another fact: Women in their 20's are currently earning more than their male counterparts in the UK.

We should protest by burning our dung hampers outside Downing Street.
Last edited by Pennywise on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Pennywise wrote:
OZHAMMER wrote:
Exactly fucking right.

If it were true, companies would only employ women. Fact is over a lifetime, women, on average earn less than men. That is a very different thing entirely. Women very often take years out of work, a choice they make, which will mean, on average, they will earn less.

Here's another fact: Women in their 20's are currently earning more than their male counterparts in the UK.

Again, I agree.

I think it was Nev that posted a YouTube link of a comedian interviewing a feminist who argues that there is no gender pay gap. Everyone should be made to watch that - it gets the point across very well.

As for the pay gap in sport, it really comes down to the product being offered. The more spectators that are being entertained, the more coin is generated. It’s that simple.
1 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:23 pm

OZHAMMER wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

Again, I agree.

I think it was Nev that posted a YouTube link of a comedian interviewing a feminist who argues that there is no gender pay gap. Everyone should be made to watch that - it gets the point across very well.

As for the pay gap in sport, it really comes down to the product being offered. The more spectators that are being entertained, the more coin is generated. It’s that simple.

This is it.The very brilliant Jonathon Pie.

1 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:21 am

Pennywise wrote:
OZHAMMER wrote:
Exactly fucking right.

If your talking about defined work contracts Factories/clocking in type of thing,your right..
But when you have personal contracts,more in the professional/business world,you'll find
that women are often paid slightly less then mail colleagues for doing a similar job,
as was brought out in the open by the BBC Stuff recently...
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 am

Pennywise wrote:
OZHAMMER wrote:
Exactly fucking right.

To be Fair mate,they take years off work to have our kids and raise a family,it's not
like their bunking off work.....

Tho some... granted..... :lol:
0 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Pennywise wrote:

To be Fair mate,they take years off work to have our kids and raise a family,it's not
like their bunking off work.....

Tho some... granted..... :i am genuinely amused:

Mate, that’s called a lifestyle choice. And not quite the point.
0 x

jameskel

Postby jameskel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:36 pm

They cant hit a crictet ball as far as men
same with a golf ball
dont serve as hard as men
dont punch as hard as men (met a few that probably could)
dont bowl as fast as men
etc etc ect

They get paid less, because they are not as good, its a fucking fact. Have not looked into it, but is there one "timed" world record, that is quicker in the womans than the mens?

So when they become as good, the market will pay them the same

Until then, they can all get on their hoovers and fuck off
1 x
Taans can fuck right off

Return to “Topical Topics”