Speedway of Nations final 2nd leg tonight

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
1985whu

Speedway of Nations final 2nd leg tonight

Postby 1985whu » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:44 pm

Anyone else watching this? Great Britain leading the table overnight with Russia 2 pts behind.

Rob Lambert riding well and Tai Woffinden on maximum points going great guns for Britain.

It's on BT Sport 2 live. Come on lads!
0 x

4ever-blowin-bubbles

Re: Speedway of Nations final 2nd leg tonight

Postby 4ever-blowin-bubbles » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:06 pm

To be honest i find speedway boring
0 x

1985whu

Postby 1985whu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 am

4ever-blowin-bubbles wrote:To be honest i find speedway boring

Well, each to their own. Some of the races last night were literally edge of your seat stuff, especially BG v Russia to see who went through to the final. One of many closely fought races with Russia looking like they were going through until TW nicked the lead on the final straight and won it for GB.

I have sat through plenty of dull and boring West Ham games which, over 90 mins, didn't have as much entertainment as a 2 minute speedway race!
0 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:33 am

I used to enjoy a bit of Speedway years ago , Ivan Mauger , Ole Olson , Barry Briggs etc , even went over West Ham a couple of times .

Bit like a Dog racing though I found .
You lead you win .

Unless technology has changed that of course ;)
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:46 am

Watched the first one mate,but missed last nights....
Funny format in this......GB got most points over the 2 meets,46 to Russia's 45,and like you said
Woffinden also won the Ride off.....but because Russia got 2nd and 3rd,they won the title....
Not all together fair that....

Love Speedway......used to go to Wimbledon years ago,shut down now,but loved it..

West ham had a team...(sure you know all this) shut down in 70s,by still knock around as
Lakeside Hammers out of Purfleet....Arena Essex before that...used to get huge crowds in
40s 50s 60s.......40,000+
That was when they were riding at custom house....

Sorry 4ever but Easily the most exciting spectator sport......
1 x

OZHAMMER

Postby OZHAMMER » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Newmarket wrote:I used to enjoy a bit of Speedway years ago , Ivan Mauger , Ole Olson , Barry Briggs etc , even went over West Ham a couple of times .

You lead you win .

My mate and I raced an outfit at an Ivan Mauger event at Redcliffe, QLD.

I found him to be a complete arsewipe.
0 x

Newmarket

Postby Newmarket » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:55 pm

OZHAMMER wrote:
Newmarket wrote:I used to enjoy a bit of Speedway years ago , Ivan Mauger , Ole Olson , Barry Briggs etc , even went over West Ham a couple of times .

You lead you win .

My mate and I raced an outfit at an Ivan Mauger event at Redcliffe, QLD.

I found him to be a complete arsewipe.

The best usually are
1 x

1985whu

Postby 1985whu » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:58 pm

mkhammer wrote:Watched the first one mate,but missed last nights....
Funny format in this......GB got most points over the 2 meets,46 to Russia's 45,and like you said
Woffinden also won the Ride off.....but because Russia got 2nd and 3rd,they won the title....
Not all together fair that....

Love Speedway......used to go to Wimbledon years ago,shut down now,but loved it..

West ham had a team...(sure you know all this) shut down in 70s,by still knock around as
Lakeside Hammers out of Purfleet....Arena Essex before that...used to get huge crowds in
40s 50s 60s.......40,000+
That was when they were riding at custom house....

Sorry 4ever but Easily the most exciting spectator sport......

I have to agree with you there MK, easily the most exciting spectator sport. Absolutely thrilling to watch and not always as has been suggested a case of if you lead you win - there were so many heats in the Speedway of Nations final yesterdat where the leade kept chopping and changing due to some incredibly skillful overtaking manoeuvers. Brilliant to watch!

Yes the West Ham speedway team packed up in the 70's didn't it? Used to ride in clared and blue with the crossed hammers.

There is the Lakeside Hammers team now, I think they are in the second tier. They also ride with the crossed hammers. COYI. My local team is Poole Pirates, I'll be down there Wednesday night.

I agree about the points scoring for the final being a bit odd. I guess that the winner gets 3 pts, 2nd gets 2, 3rd gets 1pt but then they count it on how many of each team finished in a points position, as you know there are no points for last place. So that's why the Russians became world champions even though Tai won the race. The Russians were superb though, a very strong team and if it wasn't for Tai last night we wouldn't have even got to the final. He won 12 out of his 13 races I think. He has to be one of the best riders in the world currently. Rob Lambert tried his best but it wasn't enough. Had he finished 3rd in the final we would have been champions but a silver medal for GB exceeded a lot of people's expectations so well done Team GB!
0 x

4ever-blowin-bubbles

Postby 4ever-blowin-bubbles » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 pm

well it would all be boring if we all liked the same thing
speedway is not for me but as long as others enjoy it then good luck to them
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”