One in five UK mammals at risk of extinction

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
jennyholt

One in five UK mammals at risk of extinction

Postby jennyholt » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 am

The red squirrel, the wildcat, and the grey long-eared bat are all facing severe threats to their survival, according to new research.

They are among 12 species that have been put on the first "red list" for wild mammals in the UK.

The Mammal Society and Natural England study said almost one in five British mammals was at risk of extinction.

Factors such as climate change, loss of habitat, use of pesticides and disease are to blame, the report said.

It said the hedgehog and water vole have seen their populations decline by almost 70% over the past 20 years.

However, it is good news for the otter, pine marten, polecat and badger, which have all seen their populations and geographical range spread.

The report is described as the first comprehensive review of the population of British mammals for 20 years.

Researchers examined more than 1.5m individual biological records of 58 species of terrestrial mammal.

They looked at whether their numbers were going up or down, the extent of their range, if there were any trends, and what their future prospects were.

The species have been ranked using the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) criteria, which is used to compile the global list of threatened species.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Re: One in five UK mammals at risk of extinction

Postby Neville Bartos » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Used to see hedgehogs everywhere when I was kid. There was always one knocking about the garden. I haven't seen one for donkeys years now.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 am

Neville Bartos wrote:Used to see hedgehogs everywhere when I was kid. There was always one knocking about the garden. I haven't seen one for donkeys years now.

Yes Mate I know.......lots of our wildlife population is way down to what it used to be..

Some Bird Species Sparrows, Starlings are down 75/80 % from say 20 years ago....

This Thread..........................The tricks and scams "People" come up with to get you to Click
on their dodgy rip off web-sites..... :i am genuinely amused:
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:39 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:Used to see hedgehogs everywhere when I was kid. There was always one knocking about the garden. I haven't seen one for donkeys years now.

Yes Mate I know.......lots of our wildlife population is way down to what it used to be..

Some Bird Species Sparrows, Starlings are down 75/80 % from say 20 years ago....

This Thread..........................The tricks and scams "People" come up with to get you to Click

At least they put up an interesting subject though. :D
Speaking of starlings, there used to be loads of nests (under the eaves) on the street we used to live in. This was in the 80s, a few years later they'd all gone.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Hopefullly our owners. :roll: :D

whufc_crest
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Neville Bartos wrote:
mkhammer wrote:

At least they put up an interesting subject though. :D
Speaking of starlings, there used to be loads of nests (under the eaves) on the street we used to live in. This was in the 80s, a few years later they'd all gone.

Yes mate they along with the house sparrow really taken a hit...
Seen this a few times in various places ...Brighton Piers a great place to watch.....
Remember Leicester Square years ago as well....all gone now,get a few now and again..

Absolutely fascinating would hate to lose it...
1 x

4ever-blowin-bubbles

Postby 4ever-blowin-bubbles » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:01 pm

it will get worse and worse as our ever growing population grows and more houses needed
0 x

Dwayne Pipes

Postby Dwayne Pipes » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Proper eastenders should be added.
2 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 am

Dwayne Pipes wrote:Proper eastenders should be added.

:i am genuinely amused: Very good....
0 x

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 am

They've largely gone from suburbia because they can't roam from garden to garden anymore largely due to the quality of modern fences.

Sparrows biggest issue is that they nest in groups and the reason they thrived was due to wooden fascia & soffits on houses which would rot and make for perfect nesting. They have all but been replaced with UPVC which stops the sparrows living behind the guttering and when forced to nest in trees their eggs were easy pickings for the crows & magpies.
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”