The Gypo, the Heavyweight & the Nandos Chicken

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Neville Bartos

Re: The Gypo, the Heavyweight & the Nandos Chicken

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Taansend wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:
Don't think it looks like Hearn wants that fight for Joshua, mate. That flat fee you mentioned? Wilder's team accepted that, then Hearn fucked them about a bit more by all accounts.

Can't blame him for stringing it out mind you, Joshua would make money fighting me in London, so why face a dangerous heavyweight like Wilder?

Not true Dave. Wilders team made an offer but didn't provide ANY details. They just said to Hearn & Joshua "Just sign the contract & we'll sort the rest out". That's not how you conduct a billion dollar fight negotiations.

Hearn has also offered Wilder a couple of flat fees to fight Dillian Whyte (Wilders No. 1 contender) which also went by the wayside.

I'm sure Wilder would take the fight but he doesn't have the most stable management team around him. One bloke says one thing while another says otherwise.

Yeah, Taans has it about right. Wilder accepted Hearn's offer then spent so much time messing about that the WBA refused to give Joshua anymore extensions, and ordered the Povetkin fight -- which seemed to be what Wilder's management wanted all along.
The flat fee was $15m, which is about $13m more than Wilder has ever earnt for one fight before.
Eddie Hearn might be a slimy sod, but he knows Joshua/Wilder would be Matchroom's beachhead into the US ppv market. So I don't believe for a second he'd torpedo that potential cash cow.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Unfortunately, Wilder is an unknown in the US. Boxing isn't big here. Mayweather ruined it. He may have been technically brilliant but he was dull for the 'casuals' & his bout with Pacquiao was the final straw for many.

Wilder v Fury would actually be brilliant as the build up would be mental. Not sure how the fight goes but the winner v Joshua (if Joshua beats Povetkin) might well be a PPV fight Stateside.

PPV here is also shite. They charge between $60 & $100 which is fucking stupid. You can slag off Sky but they're smart at keeping it under 20 quid.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:55 pm

And Wilder's guys said the same thing about Hearn, didn't they? That there was an offer made but it didn't include the right to a rematch if Wilder lost, only if Joshua lost and so on.

Both sides are bullshitting to an extent, but if you look at it objectively, Joshua has more to lose. He could fight the likes of Povetkin and still make a shitload of dough, so why take the risk just now? He makes money whatever.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:12 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:And Wilder's guys said the same thing about Hearn, didn't they? That there was an offer made but it didn't include the right to a rematch if Wilder lost, only if Joshua lost and so on.

Both sides are bullshitting to an extent, but if you look at it objectively, Joshua has more to lose. He could fight the likes of Povetkin and still make a shitload of dough, so why take the risk just now? He makes money whatever.

Not necessarily. Joshua wants to be undisputed champion, the longer he waits the more chance of him getting stripped. And it's back to square one.
Wilder by contrast is cruising along fighting nobodies at between one and two million a fight. Nice easy money. No title and 1m turns into 100k.
In pure monetary terms Wilder has more to lose than Joshua.

And as untrustworthy as Eddie Hearn might be, his story rings a lot truer than the nonsense Wilder's managers and promoters are peddling.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:53 am

Anyone watch Fury/Pizzaneta? My word.
Johnson and 2015 vintage Chagaev stopped this fellow. Maybe Fury was looking for rounds, but I wouldn't put him in with a top tenner after that.

And according to Warren Wilder/Fury is a done deal.
I get the feeling Fury's taking a pretty risky shortcut. Warren's cashing in before Fury self destructs. Finkel and Warren are sticking it to Hearn. And Wilder wants that lineal crown for a bigger slice of the AJ pie. Interesting times ahead.
1 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:22 am

FlatCapDave wrote:And Wilder's guys said the same thing about Hearn, didn't they? That there was an offer made but it didn't include the right to a rematch if Wilder lost, only if Joshua lost and so on.

Dave

Povetkin had beaten much better opponents than Wilder. He's a mandatory. Joshua HAS to fight him.

And Wilders team can say what they want. They never turned up for the meeting to discuss terms for the fight. You can't just tell the other team to sign a blank contract. You have to discuss terms, tv rights, rematch, venue and a thousand other items.

Joshua wants the fight, as does Wilder. It's mainly down to Wilders backers though. No promoters (like politicians) are 100% trustworthy. But Hearn is at the top of the game when it comes to pumping big fights.

Wilders been a pro over a decade, been a champ for 40 months and earns less per fight than Amir Khan or Kell Brook. If he has sensible business advisors he lets Hearn promote his bout with Joshua.
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 am

Neville Bartos wrote:Anyone watch Fury/Pizzaneta? My word.
Johnson and 2015 vintage Chagaev stopped this fellow. Maybe Fury was looking for rounds, but I wouldn't put him in with a top tenner after that.

And according to Warren Wilder/Fury is a done deal.
I get the feeling Fury's taking a pretty risky shortcut. Warren's cashing in before Fury self destructs. Finkel and Warren are sticking it to Hearn. And Wilder wants that lineal crown for a bigger slice of the AJ pie. Interesting times ahead.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

I'm going if I can afford it. Never been to a fight in Vegas.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:31 am

Taansend wrote:Povetkin had beaten much better opponents than Wilder. He's a mandatory. Joshua HAS to fight him.

I'm not saying that Joshua is choosing to face Povetkin over Wilder, the point I'm making is that Joshua makes a shitload of dough regardless of who he fights.

Taansend wrote:And Wilders team can say what they want.

So can Joshua's. Truth is, the average pleb in the stands doesn't know anything close to the truth of how these dealings went.

You choose to believe that Wilder is too stupid to realise that his team knocked back probably the biggest payday he'll ever make, in favour of a lesser paycheque to face possibly the most awkward fighter in the top ten, someone who can, on their day, make you look like a pile of steaming dogshite while they box their way to a decision.

Think about it logically. We have two fighters Joshua and Wilder. One fills stadiums and makes a shitload of cash no matter who he fights, the other not so much.

It also just so happens that Wilder is probably the most dangerous man in the division for Joshua to face.

But, you think that Wilder (or his team) are the ones who are saying "nah, we don't want the big money fight against a guy who is a better matchup for our fighter, we want to take less money to face a guy who could easily derail our train entirely."

Yeah, sounds like it makes perfect sense.

Or, maybe Hearn is the one who's trying to stall the Wilder fight because he knows that regardless of who's in the opposite corner him and his champ make a lot of dough. Why actively seek out the dangerous fight at this stage? Why not fuck around a bit, make some more money against the Parkers and the Takams before eventually fighting Wilder?
0 x

Dwayne Pipes

Postby Dwayne Pipes » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Boxing these days is about as interesting as tiddlywinks.
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Taansend wrote:Povetkin had beaten much better opponents than Wilder. He's a mandatory. Joshua HAS to fight him.

I'm not saying that Joshua is choosing to face Povetkin over Wilder, the point I'm making is that Joshua makes a shitload of dough regardless of who he fights.

Taansend wrote:And Wilders team can say what they want.

So can Joshua's. Truth is, the average pleb in the stands doesn't know anything close to the truth of how these dealings went.

You choose to believe that Wilder is too stupid to realise that his team knocked back probably the biggest payday he'll ever make, in favour of a lesser paycheque to face possibly the most awkward fighter in the top ten, someone who can, on their day, make you look like a pile of steaming dogshite while they box their way to a decision.

Think about it logically. We have two fighters Joshua and Wilder. One fills stadiums and makes a shitload of cash no matter who he fights, the other not so much.

It also just so happens that Wilder is probably the most dangerous man in the division for Joshua to face.

But, you think that Wilder (or his team) are the ones who are saying "nah, we don't want the big money fight against a guy who is a better matchup for our fighter, we want to take less money to face a guy who could easily derail our train entirely."

Yeah, sounds like it makes perfect sense.

Or, maybe Hearn is the one who's trying to stall the Wilder fight because he knows that regardless of who's in the opposite corner him and his champ make a lot of dough. Why actively seek out the dangerous fight at this stage? Why not fuck around a bit, make some more money against the Parkers and the Takams before eventually fighting Wilder?

Dave,

Wilder was offered $15 million to fight Joshua. His camp never responded. The Joshua side have tried to make the fight. Proper contract. Dates, venue, etc etc.

They heard nothing back so they had to make the Povetkin fight (or be stripped of the title).

You seem to be talking about this without actually knowing most of what happened, mate :D
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”