The Gypo, the Heavyweight & the Nandos Chicken

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
FlatCapDave

Re: The Gypo, the Heavyweight & the Nandos Chicken

Postby FlatCapDave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Taansend wrote:Dave,

Wilder was offered $15 million to fight Joshua. His camp never responded. The Joshua side have tried to make the fight. Proper contract. Dates, venue, etc etc.

They heard nothing back so they had to make the Povetkin fight (or be stripped of the title).

You seem to be talking about this without actually knowing most of what happened, mate :D

Short of being privvy to the actual contracts offered and seeing them in person I know as much as the next guy who reads the media, watches interviews and other shit on IFL YouTube and all that jazz.

I've seen Hearn claim that he sent contracts and that he's doing everything straight-up and above board, but I've also heard Wilder's manager say that the contracts aren't as straight forward as honest Ed is making them out to be, with various clauses and suchlike included.

Now, who you believe is up to you, and I'm sure many a British boxing fan will side with Hearn over the "greedy yanks", while many American boxing fans think Hearn is at it in an attempt to avoid the next big American superstar.

Chances are that both sides are at it to an extent.

Again, for the life of me, I don't see why Wilder and his team pass up, as Ed claims "three times the amount he's been offered to fight AJ" to face Fury.

Where's the sense in that? Unless we're claiming that Wilder and team are afraid or some other bollocks, of course?

If the fight with Joshua was there and Hearn was as accommodating as he makes out in his cheeky little interviews then why wouldn't Wilder take that fight?

Even if he fought AJ and lost, surely that's a better outcome both financially and career-wise than possibly knocking out a fighter in Fury who many consider a mentally challenged bum who's past it?

If he actually loses to Fury it won't be in an exciting war like it would be with AJ, it'll be by decision in a fight that will likely be classified as a fucking shitfest, won't it?
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:17 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Taansend wrote:Dave,

Wilder was offered $15 million to fight Joshua. His camp never responded. The Joshua side have tried to make the fight. Proper contract. Dates, venue, etc etc.

They heard nothing back so they had to make the Povetkin fight (or be stripped of the title).

You seem to be talking about this without actually knowing most of what happened, mate :D

Short of being privvy to the actual contracts offered and seeing them in person I know as much as the next guy who reads the media, watches interviews and other shit on IFL YouTube and all that jazz.

I've seen Hearn claim that he sent contracts and that he's doing everything straight-up and above board, but I've also heard Wilder's manager say that the contracts aren't as straight forward as honest Ed is making them out to be, with various clauses and suchlike included.

Now, who you believe is up to you, and I'm sure many a British boxing fan will side with Hearn over the "greedy yanks", while many American boxing fans think Hearn is at it in an attempt to avoid the next big American superstar.

Chances are that both sides are at it to an extent.

Again, for the life of me, I don't see why Wilder and his team pass up, as Ed claims "three times the amount he's been offered to fight AJ" to face Fury.

Where's the sense in that? Unless we're claiming that Wilder and team are afraid or some other bollocks, of course?

If the fight with Joshua was there and Hearn was as accommodating as he makes out in his cheeky little interviews then why wouldn't Wilder take that fight?

Even if he fought AJ and lost, surely that's a better outcome both financially and career-wise than possibly knocking out a fighter in Fury who many consider a mentally challenged bum who's past it?

If he actually loses to Fury it won't be in an exciting war like it would be with AJ, it'll be by decision in a fight that will likely be classified as a fucking shitfest, won't it?

Which Wilder manager did you hear say the contracts weren't proper, Dave?
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Taansend wrote:Which Wilder manager did you hear say the contracts weren't proper, Dave?

Shelly Finkel, who, let me guess, you think is talking rubbish, right?
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:25 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Taansend wrote:Which Wilder manager did you hear say the contracts weren't proper, Dave?

Shelly Finkel, who, let me guess, you think is talking rubbish, right?

You mean this video :D

I like Shelly but the contract I'm talking about was sent in June, whereas this video is from March.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:27 pm

No, this video from Belfast;

As I said previously, neither of these guys are being straight up, but when one is accusing the other of actively trying to avoid making money I smell bullshit :D
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:56 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:No, this video from Belfast;

As I said previously, neither of these guys are being straight up, but when one is accusing the other of actively trying to avoid making money I smell bullshit :D

Dave,

Finkel admits in this video that they did get an offer from Joshua, but you keep saying that Joshua doesn't want to fight him.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:05 pm

Taansend wrote:Finkel admits in this video that they did get an offer from Joshua, but you keep saying that Joshua doesn't want to fight him.

I've always known they got an offer from Hearn, that's why I mentioned the clauses inserted in it, remember? I said;

That there was an offer made but it didn't include the right to a rematch if Wilder lost, only if Joshua lost and so on.

Again, as I said, why would Wilder turn down the biggest paycheque of his life if the contract was legit and fair? It could be entirely possible that Honest Ed has made Wilder "an offer" that is so ridiculously one-sided and full of conditions that Wilder was always going to reject it, giving Hearn the chance to say "See?!? We made the offer, he turned it down!!"

You honestly think that Finkel and Wilder actively chose the Fury fight for less money over facing Joshua? If the contract was a proper contract, with a level of parity that suited both sides it would have been signed and sorted.

There's absolutely no reason for Wilder to not take the fight if the conditions are right, but every reason for Joshua and Hearn to avoid Wilder and squeeze some more cash out of the British public before taking the riskier fight.
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Taansend wrote:Finkel admits in this video that they did get an offer from Joshua, but you keep saying that Joshua doesn't want to fight him.

I've always known they got an offer from Hearn, that's why I mentioned the clauses inserted in it, remember? I said;

That there was an offer made but it didn't include the right to a rematch if Wilder lost, only if Joshua lost and so on.

Again, as I said, why would Wilder turn down the biggest paycheque of his life if the contract was legit and fair? It could be entirely possible that Honest Ed has made Wilder "an offer" that is so ridiculously one-sided and full of conditions that Wilder was always going to reject it, giving Hearn the chance to say "See?!? We made the offer, he turned it down!!"

You honestly think that Finkel and Wilder actively chose the Fury fight for less money over facing Joshua? If the contract was a proper contract, with a level of parity that suited both sides it would have been signed and sorted.

There's absolutely no reason for Wilder to not take the fight if the conditions are right, but every reason for Joshua and Hearn to avoid Wilder and squeeze some more cash out of the British public before taking the riskier fight.

I think Wilder's camp just want to be in charge. The US has been the home for heavyweight boxing since the late 1800's and they just don't like little England running things for them.

I run into that mentality every day.

Also, with the US boxing scene being as scarce as it is nowadays the men behind Wilder don't want to relinquish what little power they have.

If Joshua loses he can still make a ton of money fighting. Especially domestic bouts. The UK has a shitload of top heavyweights by todays standards with more on the way.

The US has Wilder, Breazeale (beaten by Joshua), Big Baby Miller and not too much else.

And lastly, you keep stating that Joshua doesn't want to risk fighting a dangerous foe like Wilder. Wilder is levels below a 41 year old Klitschko. He's no better than Povetkin or Pulev.

I like Wilder. I've watched maybe a dozen or more of his fights. But he's not that good.
0 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:24 pm

In instances like this, I look to see who has more to gain from the fight not happening.

Is it Wilder? He doesn't really have any other big-money fights out there, does he? He's a decent draw but not a huge draw. There's a reason why he's taking the fight against Fury, and it's not because he believes he can smash through Tyson easy.

It's because it's probably the biggest money fight available with a contract that isn't ridiculous.

As far as Joshua goes? I think he gains more from the fight not happening. He's already shown that he can be put in there with anyone and still draw a shitload of cash and punters.

Why risk that against Wilder? It's not something he needs at the moment, when he can fight another couple of top ten guys and make great dough, continue to build his own name, and then fight Wilder later on down the road, or Fury if it comes to it.
0 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 am

Dave

I think this just comes down to our opinions of the fighters.

I like Wilder. He's shit (boxing skill) but athletic with a massive punch. He'll lose every round against Fury but he might win by spectacular kayo.

I think Joshua handles Wilder easily. I'm not sure how he handles Fury (nor is he).

To me, your argument that Joshua is taking easy fights while avoiding Wilder is void because Joshua's last four scheduled opponents (Klitschko, Pulev, Parker & Povetkin) are all equal or above Wilder at the time of the fights being made.

I doubt very much if the combined purse of Wilder Fury is that of Joshua v Povetkin but the winner should be in with a 50/50 split with Joshua ( if the fight is exciting).

I'll be at Wilder Fury in Vegas and Joshua v whoever in April so I'm really hoping it's Joshua v the winner
0 x

Return to “Topical Topics”