Psychology--Numbers Related

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
Whiskyman

Psychology--Numbers Related

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:22 am

Dear Marge

Now this is a genuine question and not a dig at anybody. I am genuinely interested why people bother replying to internet trolls like our own digital doofus. Clearly it is their intention to get a reaction and the more reaction they get the more posts are seen.

I confess on occasions I have not taken my own advice and have taken the bait and replied. Not often but I have done it. And I'm fucked if I know why. It's like the first smoke you ever had as a kid. You know you shouldn't, but you just can't resist.

Many have replied to our resident troll and I hope someone can come up with some sort of explanation. Mrs W has a degree in psychology (yes, I know it's a fucking ology, not a proper degree like economics but even so ;) ) and she has some very interesting things to say about trolls, but like me she can't work out why people bother with them.

Can anybody help.

Worried of Welwyn Garden City
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

BlackDiamond

Re: Psychology--Numbers Related

Postby BlackDiamond » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:14 pm

I would venture that true trolling, is where a deliberately antagonistic view is adopted with the intention of creating a reaction of hostility.

Persistent negative posting simply becomes an identifiable character trait and therefore the actual subject under discussion loses the focus,because the author becomes the theme. This then leads to a reduction in hostility as the threat level is recognised as harmless.

Thereafter,two way interaction, generally manifests in levity,humour and banter.

Most people enjoy playing when the cunting off is not serious...and even if it is,some people never acquire the respect to give their opinions validity.
0 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm sending a token reply, because if nobody responded you may be concerned that you are considered a troll.
1 x

Taansend

Postby Taansend » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Whisky

I too am baffled. I don't bother reason Numbers football related posts because you already know what they're going to say.

I have a quick glance to check he's not insulting people's kids but other than that don't look.

But then I see people take time to respond to what is obviously a wind up. So fair play to Numbers, he catches his share of fish.

Not sure what he gets out of it but if he is who I think he is then the poor bastard should just get over it and move on.

Funny that I joined this site (footy mad) back in 2004 because I'd just moved to Fresno & there was nowhere to watch games. Amers write ups (all 80 minutes of it) kept me connected. As did other people's views. Jimmy's angry rants about everything too.

But here I am 14 years later still reading even though I get to see 90% of the games. Even though I think most people are overly whingy I still check in most days.

So what's the psychology on that :D
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:46 am

Numbers isn't a troll. The point of trolling is to wind people up. If you write something offensive and twenty people laugh at you and call you a cunt, where's the pay off?
I'd say the psychology leans more towards stalking and general attention seeking.
His posts about other people being obsessed with him are classic transference.

'Transference describes a situation where the feelings, desires, and expectations of one person are redirected and applied to another person.'

He's probably telling the truth when he says he's seen people off of here at games. I'd bet that was the reason he went to those games in the first place.
Just as well he's too much of a pusshole to be dangerous.
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:49 am

Neville Bartos wrote:Numbers isn't a troll. The point of trolling is to wind people up. If you write something offensive and twenty people laugh at you and call you a cunt, where's the pay off?
I'd say the psychology leans more towards stalking and general attention seeking.
His posts about other people being obsessed with him are classic transference.

'Transference describes a situation where the feelings, desires, and expectations of one person are redirected and applied to another person.'

He's probably telling the truth when he says he's seen people off of here at games. I'd bet that was the reason he went to those games in the first place.
Just as well he's too much of a pusshole to be dangerous.

Trans--fucking--ference. You are starting to sound like Her Indoors mate. Bloody ology psychobabble. ;)
2 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Noni

Postby Noni » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:54 am

Personally Numbers does not bother me at all.

Sometimes i find the threads in responses quite amusing and enternaining :D... Unless someone has pacifically insulted someone here, then I agree. Not knowing these characters that I have not met, then i cannot say, who's insulting who or making fun as a laugh?.......

Generally i don't respond to those sarcastic comments, unless I know them in hand which you can share a pint with!! ;)
0 x

BCHammer

Postby BCHammer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:41 am

Sometimes I feel the need to reply because, the internet being what it is, when crap is put out there and stated as fact, in this case concerning our club and fans, the neutral or gullible or those with an agenda anyway can just take it as gospel and run with it. That includes media types who love trolling places like this incognito to pick up more crap for click bait sensationalist news items. So for that reason nonsense needs to be called out as such.
0 x

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:44 am

Always found it interesting,if that's the right word to use,why people are so Negative bout
Stuff....Fooball...Life in general...
We all get pissed off,even Angry at times,but some people get lost in it,and life becomes a trudge,
for them........don't know if this is Mr Numbers case....might be sat there having a giggle at it
all.....who knows...good luck to him,like I said interesting,not worrying,we're all different.

Take for instance...our new Boss....Happen to disagree with his present approach,team selections
set ups.......couldn't see it more differently,but come Saturday or when ever,I'm shouting and
jumping around for us to win.......my disagreeing with him goes out the window,thats for the
pub after...and on here... :lol:
You have to support the team whatever...be positive.

Just recently we had 2 threads running simultaneously...one was titled Positivity Thread the
other Negativity.....guess which one pissed all over the other for views and replies.... :lol:

But that seems true in life,people seem to react to negative stuff more so than anything positive.
Whether that's Politics,a Famous sports star mouthing off,a Media story,or footie,the negative
will get more response,and coverage.

There's a difference between being negative and disagreeing as well....the difference is
when you disagree you put forward an alternate argument for your case,negativity is
.....Its Shit.......that's it...we're all doomed,and no constructive argument.

There's nothing wrong in disagreeing and a passionate heated discussion,don't really like
using the word argument in this to much,can be perceived to be a row,when your just
discussing something.

Can't beat a good debate...on whatever,especially politics,but the last thing you want is
people agreeing with you...that don't work,in fact the more they see things differently to
you the better,it's the way you learn...listen to other people.....
Then the art is then agreeing to disagree.
3 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:16 pm

mkhammer wrote:Always found it interesting,if that's the right word to use,why people are so Negative bout
Stuff....Fooball...Life in general...
We all get pissed off,even Angry at times,but some people get lost in it,and life becomes a trudge,
for them........don't know if this is Mr Numbers case....might be sat there having a giggle at it
all.....who knows...good luck to him,like I said interesting,not worrying,we're all different.

Take for instance...our new Boss....Happen to disagree with his present approach,team selections
set ups.......couldn't see it more differently,but come Saturday or when ever,I'm shouting and
jumping around for us to win.......my disagreeing with him goes out the window,thats for the
pub after...and on here... :lol:
You have to support the team whatever...be positive.

Just recently we had 2 threads running simultaneously...one was titled Positivity Thread the
other Negativity.....guess which one pissed all over the other for views and replies.... :lol:

But that seems true in life,people seem to react to negative stuff more so than anything positive.
Whether that's Politics,a Famous sports star mouthing off,a Media story,or footie,the negative
will get more response,and coverage.

There's a difference between being negative and disagreeing as well....the difference is
when you disagree you put forward an alternate argument for your case,negativity is
.....Its Shit.......that's it...we're all doomed,and no constructive argument.

There's nothing wrong in disagreeing and a passionate heated discussion,don't really like
using the word argument in this to much,can be perceived to be a row,when your just
discussing something.

Can't beat a good debate...on whatever,especially politics,but the last thing you want is
people agreeing with you...that don't work,in fact the more they see things differently to
you the better,it's the way you learn...listen to other people.....
Then the art is then agreeing to disagree.

Everyone enjoys a good moan, it clears the pipes.
I've always thought there was something deeply wrong with being overtly positive all the time. My mate from Germany was always upbeat, turns out he's been fantasising about suicide and is now receiving psychiatric treatment. :D
0 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

Return to “Topical Topics”