Hammer of the year

Chat about anything football related here!
jhammers

Re: Hammer of the year

Postby jhammers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Has to be Arnautovic. I think without his goals we'd be down. My top 3 would be Arnautovic, Rice, Zabaleta

Gone for Zabaleta as 'signing of the season.
0 x

redhammer
Site Admin

Postby redhammer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Only one player turned up all year. Zabaleta for me. L

Arnie if the award was for when Moyes is here, but it's not.
1 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Arnie shades it from Ogbonna,with Arthur third,edging out Zabs.
0 x

papawhisky

Postby papawhisky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:35 pm

When Rovers won the Premier league obviously all the plaudits went to Shearer, Sutton, Sherwood, Flowers etc but the actual hub of the team was Mark Atkins, probably few of you remember him. He was often taunted by Rovers fans (the moron minority) because he wasn't as skillful as the rest of the team. But he did the Kante job, he tied everything together, he wasn't meant to be noticed or to be pretty. He was just ALWAYS there.

For that reason I can understand calls for Zaba to be HOTY.

But ultimately, despite Atkins being my favourite player at the time, I would have still voted Shearer as ROTY, simply because he had that something extra, that something special, that something that made the difference when it mattered in the games that mattered.

On that basis the HOTY has simply got to be Arnie, he provides the X factor. New team, new surroundings, stupid red card early on made it a slow start but since then he has been THE difference between probable relegation and almost certain survival.
0 x

Clayton

Postby Clayton » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:50 pm

I would have to go with Zabs , hes definitely proved me wrong and has showed hes still class , he may be lacking in pace but his experience has shown through.
1 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Clayton wrote:I would have to go with Zabs , hes definitely proved me wrong and has showed hes still class , he may be lacking in pace but his experience has shown through.

He has. Which makes it even more inexplicable why a player with his experience would stay back and play two Stoke forwards onside for Stoke's goal. Very puzzling.
0 x
People who claim to be modest usually have a lot to be modest about.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 am

Up until bout a month ago was gonna give Adrian my vote,for sticking with it,being a top
pro and getting his place back(think I've said this before somewhere,repeating myself...sorry.. :i am genuinely amused: )
We really need to play him last few games....IMO.....

But will be and has to be Arnie,good chance we would be in more shit than we already are
without him....

TBH never been Oggys biggest fan,but had a good year,gone up in my estimation,and Zabs
for bringing a lot to the team.....
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:24 pm

mkhammer wrote:Up until bout a month ago was gonna give Adrian my vote,for sticking with it,being a top
pro and getting his place back(think I've said this before somewhere,repeating myself...sorry.. :i am genuinely amused: )
We really need to play him last few games....IMO.....

But will be and has to be Arnie,good chance we would be in more shit than we already are
without him....

TBH never been Oggys biggest fan,but had a good year,gone up in my estimation,and Zabs
for bringing a lot to the team.....

Oggy was carrying an injury for a long time I think and as soon as he had his opp he has been different class. Rice looks more and more like a class defender each game I see him and now I see him as ahead of Reid for that place.
0 x

BCHammer

Postby BCHammer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Clayton wrote:I would have to go with Zabs , hes definitely proved me wrong and has showed hes still class , he may be lacking in pace but his experience has shown through.

He has. Which makes it even more inexplicable why a player with his experience would stay back and play two Stoke forwards onside for Stoke's goal. Very puzzling.

And its not the first time either. The bloke is the ultimate professional, plays with heart, grit & determination and we cant under estimate what he brings to the dressing room, particularly young Declan, but I cant look past Arnie and his performances and goals. He could have been the biggest flop after his start and rightly had all the fans on his back, but he pulled himself together and he has saved us this season. That took great character.

Beginning of the season, I never wanted to see Ogbonna in a West Ham shirt again. His turn around has been pretty amazing too, he looks composed and solid, so many goal saving clearances and can actually run with the ball out from the back and learned to pick a pass rather than just hoof it wildly, my runner up.
0 x

andyginbrasil

Postby andyginbrasil » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:09 pm

BCHammer wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

And its not the first time either. The bloke is the ultimate professional, plays with heart, grit & determination and we cant under estimate what he brings to the dressing room, particularly young Declan, but I cant look past Arnie and his performances and goals. He could have been the biggest flop after his start and rightly had all the fans on his back, but he pulled himself together and he has saved us this season. That took great character.

Beginning of the season, I never wanted to see Ogbonna in a West Ham shirt again. His turn around has been pretty amazing too, he looks composed and solid, so many goal saving clearances and can actually run with the ball out from the back and learned to pick a pass rather than just hoof it wildly, my runner up.

Very true I thought the passing from the back last night was excellent from all of them, as for Zabbas alleged mistake, surely the Stoke players were never going to be offside wherever Zabba was going to stand, it was Hart who gave the ball to the Stoke player therefore playing them on side. They could of both been standing off side when the shot came in, they were not interfering with play, Hart spills the ball to Crouch, therefore playing him on side, and the goal would of counted.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”