Player Prices and Net Spend

Chat about anything football related here!
Shortshanks

Re: Player Prices and Net Spend

Postby Shortshanks » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
only1salty wrote:Money buys you quality on the balance of probability

Man City prove that.

They do. But there is a case for saying we are the exception that proves the rule. I think I'm right in saying that over the years Kieron Dyer, Andy Carroll and Andre Ayew have all had the distinction of being our record signing at the time of their arrival. So has Javier Hernandez, but I'll excuse him because of his record elsewhere.

I think in fairness to Dyer he did have a serious injury (leg broken in two places) only 10 days after making his debut for us.
1 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 am

Shortshanks wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:
They do. But there is a case for saying we are the exception that proves the rule. I think I'm right in saying that over the years Kieron Dyer, Andy Carroll and Andre Ayew have all had the distinction of being our record signing at the time of their arrival. So has Javier Hernandez, but I'll excuse him because of his record elsewhere.

I think in fairness to Dyer he did have a serious injury (leg broken in two places) only 10 days after making his debut for us.

He did indeed. In a Mickey Mouse cup match in Bristol as I recall. Can't remember if it was Rovers or City though. But he did have something of an injury record before he joined us. And the pony tailed carthorse has carried on our tradition I'm sorry to say.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

thomasswe

Postby thomasswe » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 am

Balbuena has to be the PL bargain of the summer.
2 x

h69

Postby h69 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:55 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Shortshanks wrote:I think in fairness to Dyer he did have a serious injury (leg broken in two places) only 10 days after making his debut for us.

He did indeed. In a Mickey Mouse cup match in Bristol as I recall. Can't remember if it was Rovers or City though. But he did have something of an injury record before he joined us. And the pony tailed carthorse has carried on our tradition I'm sorry to say.

Rovers.

And you can even add Dean Ashton to the list. Great player but we knew we were buying a regularly injured player there as well.

I am surprised we never made a bid for Darren 'treatment table' Anderton.
0 x

Whiskyman

Postby Whiskyman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:10 am

h69 wrote:
Whiskyman wrote:

Rovers.

And you can even add Dean Ashton to the list. Great player but we knew we were buying a regularly injured player there as well.

I am surprised we never made a bid for Darren 'treatment table' Anderton.

True. Maybe we can expect a bid for Danny Welbeck when he returns from his latest setback.
0 x
If it looks like a cunt, walks like a cunt, and talks like a cunt it's either Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn.

Shortshanks

Postby Shortshanks » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 pm

Just to keep it in perspective, Dyer from 1996-2007 played 280 games (and scored 32 goals) for Ipswich/Newcastle. That suggests to me we were incredibly unlucky with someone I think we were all really excited about when he signed. I know at the time it was the first time for years we actually went for a player who would have attracted some of the so called "big clubs"
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”