And so.....the end is near

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: And so.....the end is near

Post by mkhammer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:43 pm

h69 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:00 pm
mkhammer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 pm
But here we are in an Olympic Stadium 50,000 plus guaranteed more or less every game,
Buying Players for 40 Mill,paying them upwards 100 grand a week,prob the Highest paid manager
in world footie...def up there......excellent transport links... :lol: ...........
And where the fuck are we Same Old Same Old....no progression
I dont get why people really think that a few extra seats and a decent summer budget would automatically transform West Ham into a Champions League side and I dont agree with the above that we have not progressed. We have albeit with a small step up.

We are certainly far better off than last season with no flirting with relegation and playing most of the season around 8/9th spot after completely changing our style of play which fucked the start of the season and but it is a small step progression which is the only real way to go and how far we reach depends on making more of these over the years but it takes time. Even Man City took a few years and they had an unlimited budget. The days of Robinho and Jo and Adebeyor and they were still mid table for a while.

Spending 100M and having 20K extra seats is great but

1) Fulham spent 110M on transfers last summer. Money is no guarantee. I am sure their fans were obsessed with Net Spend too.
2) 20K seats makes little difference as the vast majority of the money comes from SKY/BT and assorted broadcast deals
3) There are a few other teams with big stadia also
4) There are many other teams that spent bigger. Everton spent almost 200M and until last week were below us.
5) If we had the injuries we had this season we would have been relegated last. We have a bit more depth of squad bit we need to replace more over the next two summers to really challenge
6) We have not been able to rest anyone especially at the back hence the reason we have tailed off and Watford have come on strong. They had the same issue the last two seasons but have slowly built depth at the back and it paid off this season at last. We have just started to do that.
7) We play a much better land based style of football which I thought is what West Ham fans wanted.

For me, as long as I see us getting better season on season then I am happy for it to be a long term plan. Would rather that than do a Burnley and have one good season and then implode. I think we have iomporived as much as we can reasonably hoped to have in the first season under Pellegrini.

I think we have done ok despite all the injuries and the task of changing the mentality and style of the team's play but I think we just need to now offload a number of players and then invest in 3 or 4 players of the type Pelle wants each summer and we will be much stronger.
Nah we're way off the CL H,was not referring to that...
I saw us prob 10/12 points off 6th place at the end,would imagine we're gonna be 20/25 pts or so
away from it.....that was just my benchmark.
The spend and the rest is just part of the whole thing,as is Peller,like I said before,we usually
start of with hope...but this year it was expectation....that's why I'm more let down than usual.

Moyes got us 37 points from his 30 games...we're not far of that this year,just worked it
out Peller was on 39 for his 30,yet one we dig out.. the other is a saviour...
Even taking injuries into account,I'd rather have been dealt Pellers hand than Moysies,
he lost all his CBs...had a 19 year old in his first season and Oggy...that was it,had to drop
Cress into it at times to make a 3,and I'm not getting the improved footie much either,theres
been a few moments a couple months ago...but on the whole,not a lot.
and Moyes didn't have a 100Mill budget.
My expectation if Moyes had stayed given that budget would have been the same.

We've never really dominated a game this year,even our wins and decent results have been
hard fought ones....If we'd lost to Huddersfield,I honestly think that would have changed
a lot of the feeling towards Mr P....he's sailing very close to the wind,results wise.

But Lets hope we have a cracking end to the season,and really kick on next...
I want him to succeed....
The Owners and Ground we're stuck with.....but the football we're not...
1 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:10 am

h69 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:49 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm
C&H have written a story today which features the turnovers of a few of the clubs.

Unsurprisingly we're nowhere near the top 6 and our closest rivals financially are Everton, Wolves & Leicester.

Anyway, here's the bit that caught my eye . . .

Our real competitors in the top flight now are the likes of Everton, Leicester City and Wolves all of whom are above us in the Premier League table at the moment and there could be a good reason for that!

When looking at net spend on transfers over the past three seasons each one of those clubs has outspent us.

Everton has spent £194m net, Wolves £192m net and Leicester City £172m net compared to West Ham’s £109m net over the same period.

Looking at total revenue over the past three years with Everton and Leicester City compared against West Ham. Leicester City earned £521m with Everton on £482m with West Ham on £501m over the same period. Everton’s revenue last season was £189m which was £14m ahead of West Ham at £175m.

All of which begs the question . . . . why did we move?

That being said we are worse than those clubs and you can add Watford into the mix too. I have resigned myself to the fact that we'll have to continue to fluke mediocrity under the current ownership such is their ineptitude and mismanagement.
What was Fulham's Net Spend this season ?
More pertinently what was Spurs net spend ? They are proof that a club with income streams at similar levels to ours can, with proper leadership and management from the boardroom, be relatively successful. Unfortunately from our point of view they have a forward thinking board and we have the Dildo Brothers.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 am

Gonzo wrote:
C&H have written a story today which features the turnovers of a few of the clubs.

Unsurprisingly we're nowhere near the top 6 and our closest rivals financially are Everton, Wolves & Leicester.

Our real competitors in the top flight now are the likes of Everton, Leicester City and Wolves all of whom are above us in the Premier League table at the moment and there could be a good reason for that!

When looking at net spend on transfers over the past three seasons each one of those clubs has outspent us.

Everton has spent £194m net, Wolves £192m net and Leicester City £172m net compared to West Ham’s £109m net over the same period.

Looking at total revenue over the past three years with Everton and Leicester City compared against West Ham. Leicester City earned £521m with Everton on £482m with West Ham on £501m over the same period. Everton’s revenue last season was £189m which was £14m ahead of West Ham at £175m.

That being said we are worse than those clubs and you can add Watford into the mix too. I have resigned myself to the fact that we'll have to continue to fluke mediocrity under the current ownership such is their ineptitude and mismanagement.
It’ll be ok - Jack and Junior will be running things soon...
0 x

Gonzo

Post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:46 am

OZHAMMER wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:21 am
Gonzo wrote:

It’ll be ok - Jack and Junior will be running things soon...
Maestro Sully won't relinquish power without a fight mate. If he hasn't sold I can still see him in charge in 10 years.
0 x

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:30 am

It took an away win at Leicester last season to avoid relegation. 2nd from last game. Despite having massive injuries in key areas we have at time been close to going 7th after being bottom of the league after 4 games with zero points.Lack of
Cup run was a disappointment for me. Apart from that not a bad season. We have given the top 6 sides a run for their money apart from Liverpool away .
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:10 am
h69 wrote:

More pertinently what was Spurs net spend ? They are proof that a club with income streams at similar levels to ours can, with proper leadership and management from the boardroom, be relatively successful. Unfortunately from our point of view they have a forward thinking board and we have the Dildo Brothers.
Whiskey your right and the fact its Spurs makes it more depressing.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 am

Parry Hotter wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:44 am
Whiskyman wrote:

Whiskey your right and the fact its Spurs makes it more depressing.
If our boards, not just this one, had any sort of business acumen we could and should be much closer to where that lot are. Remember Spurs were in massive financial difficulties back in the 80's.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

Whiskyman wrote:
h69 wrote:

Nailed on.
It ain’t how big it is it’s what you do with it !!
As much as I can’t stand Spurs.... their considerable (relative to us) success certainly reduces the number of hiding places for our inept and out of its depth club hierarchy.
Edit: Perhaps “inept” is letting them off lightly?? There’s also an argument to suggest they know exactly what they’re doing but just don’t believe in a progressive business model because it’s all about quick and regular little earners.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

h69

Post by h69 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am

ToneLoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am
Whiskyman wrote:

Nailed on.
As much as I can’t stand Spurs.... their considerable (relative to us) success certainly reduces the number of hiding places for our inept and out of its depth club hierarchy.
Edit: Perhaps “inept” is letting them off lightly?? There’s also an argument to suggest they know exactly what they’re doing but just don’t believe in a progressive business model because it’s all about quick and regular little earners.
Exactly. The whole spend figure is really only a guide. Our best acquisition was arguably the cheapest. Spurs model is to find good young players, develop and eventually sell them for a huge fee...Bale nearly changed their entire squad. Kane was an academy player. Alli was young when they got him. The trick is to actyually play them.

I would hope that Pellegrini will do a bit more of that than the last 4 managers and from what I have seen with Rice and others it looks like he may well do.

It is actually the only sustainable model for clubs outside the top 6 as the money train will eventually hit a wall.
0 x
Watchout for Spongebob

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:00 am

h69 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am
ToneLoc wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

Nailed on.
Exactly. The whole spend figure is really only a guide. Our best acquisition was arguably the cheapest. Spurs model is to find good young players, develop and eventually sell them for a huge fee...Bale nearly changed their entire squad. Kane was an academy player. Alli was young when they got him. The trick is to actyually play them.

I would hope that Pellegrini will do a bit more of that than the last 4 managers and from what I have seen with Rice and others it looks like he may well do.

It is actually the only sustainable model for clubs outside the top 6 as the money train will eventually hit a wall.
In one way it gives me hope because it IS achievable in a fiscal sense.
However, it takes a lot of smart thinking and real experts making key decisions. Sadly that’s the bit that depresses me because Sullivan could hire a team of the world’s best footballing strategists but he’d still be telling them what to do because he just can’t help it.
Last edited by ToneLoc on Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Social Media