Nah we're way off the CL H,was not referring to that...h69 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:00 pmI dont get why people really think that a few extra seats and a decent summer budget would automatically transform West Ham into a Champions League side and I dont agree with the above that we have not progressed. We have albeit with a small step up.mkhammer wrote: ↑Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:27 pmBut here we are in an Olympic Stadium 50,000 plus guaranteed more or less every game,
Buying Players for 40 Mill,paying them upwards 100 grand a week,prob the Highest paid manager
in world footie...def up there......excellent transport links... ...........
And where the fuck are we Same Old Same Old....no progression
We are certainly far better off than last season with no flirting with relegation and playing most of the season around 8/9th spot after completely changing our style of play which fucked the start of the season and but it is a small step progression which is the only real way to go and how far we reach depends on making more of these over the years but it takes time. Even Man City took a few years and they had an unlimited budget. The days of Robinho and Jo and Adebeyor and they were still mid table for a while.
Spending 100M and having 20K extra seats is great but
1) Fulham spent 110M on transfers last summer. Money is no guarantee. I am sure their fans were obsessed with Net Spend too.
2) 20K seats makes little difference as the vast majority of the money comes from SKY/BT and assorted broadcast deals
3) There are a few other teams with big stadia also
4) There are many other teams that spent bigger. Everton spent almost 200M and until last week were below us.
5) If we had the injuries we had this season we would have been relegated last. We have a bit more depth of squad bit we need to replace more over the next two summers to really challenge
6) We have not been able to rest anyone especially at the back hence the reason we have tailed off and Watford have come on strong. They had the same issue the last two seasons but have slowly built depth at the back and it paid off this season at last. We have just started to do that.
7) We play a much better land based style of football which I thought is what West Ham fans wanted.
For me, as long as I see us getting better season on season then I am happy for it to be a long term plan. Would rather that than do a Burnley and have one good season and then implode. I think we have iomporived as much as we can reasonably hoped to have in the first season under Pellegrini.
I think we have done ok despite all the injuries and the task of changing the mentality and style of the team's play but I think we just need to now offload a number of players and then invest in 3 or 4 players of the type Pelle wants each summer and we will be much stronger.
I saw us prob 10/12 points off 6th place at the end,would imagine we're gonna be 20/25 pts or so
away from it.....that was just my benchmark.
The spend and the rest is just part of the whole thing,as is Peller,like I said before,we usually
start of with hope...but this year it was expectation....that's why I'm more let down than usual.
Moyes got us 37 points from his 30 games...we're not far of that this year,just worked it
out Peller was on 39 for his 30,yet one we dig out.. the other is a saviour...
Even taking injuries into account,I'd rather have been dealt Pellers hand than Moysies,
he lost all his CBs...had a 19 year old in his first season and Oggy...that was it,had to drop
Cress into it at times to make a 3,and I'm not getting the improved footie much either,theres
been a few moments a couple months ago...but on the whole,not a lot.
and Moyes didn't have a 100Mill budget.
My expectation if Moyes had stayed given that budget would have been the same.
We've never really dominated a game this year,even our wins and decent results have been
hard fought ones....If we'd lost to Huddersfield,I honestly think that would have changed
a lot of the feeling towards Mr P....he's sailing very close to the wind,results wise.
But Lets hope we have a cracking end to the season,and really kick on next...
I want him to succeed....
The Owners and Ground we're stuck with.....but the football we're not...