How wonky is Sébastien Haller

Chat about anything football related here!
mkhammer

Re: How wonky is Sébastien Haller

Post by mkhammer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Funny..Haller comes in ,we all rate him first 5/6 games...then he goes off the boil and is poor..
Fornals comes in totally off the pace first few games..and now is getting it...

Sanchez comes in........................................ :lol:

Hallers an Enigma,I think he's got something...but fuckin hides it well. :lol: ..Plus he's a yard off the pace
of the game at times...don't think he likes being the back to the goal striker,seems better playing
a little deeper...

I thought a front 3 of Him, Antonio,Anderson...would be seriously good...hopefully maybe still
can be....Trouble is 2 are injured and the other one couldn't hit a barn door at moment...

Welcome to West Ham..... :lol:
0 x

h69

Post by h69 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:07 pm
There were only three weeks from the twat signing until the end of the window. It was a panic buy because Gomez turned us down and Noble decided the Serb had to go. I'm not saying Arnie should have stayed at all (well a bit), but it's obvious that a forward who does a bit more than yawn and scratch his arse can lead the line better.

As Oliver Holt said though, the way he points at the screen when his name comes up on the Sky team line-ups is very impressive. Well done.

Either Audrey didn't realise he wouldn't fit the system in which case he was grossly negligent or he didn't care as he knew it was his last big pay-day which is obviously worse. Square peg in a round hole.

But what fucking annoys me, however shit the carthorse is, is that he doesn't give a fuck about being shit.

And you're comparing him to 'Wor Andy' Whisk.

In his last season with us the resemblance is spot-on. And I grant you the Geordie invalid has spent more than his fair share on the treatment table.

But on the regretfully few occasions we saw the best of him in the shirt there is no comparison to Haller.

None.
We will have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. If I was manager of a team I wouldn't want either Haller or Carroll anywhere near my squad. Imo they are both crap, but different kinds of crap, if you get my drift.

I do remember being moderately impreswed with Haller in his games against Watford and Norwich. I also remember being impressed with Carroll when he scored a hat trick against Arsenal and, very briefly, although if memory serves he did fuck all else in the game, when he scored THAT goal against Palace.

But I've only had two thirds of a season to scratch my head and ask what the fuck anyone saw in Haller to justify the fee. I had six seasons of watching that useless Geordie waster and asking myself the same question.
Difference is that his body could not take the way he played but he put the effort in.

Haller had no mobility, lacks effort and is so out of position that he has to constantly try back heels and stuff. And we know he can do it based on the first few games when he could be arsed.
0 x

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:47 pm

I think we just need to play to his strengths. We did exactly the same with Chicharito and played him in a role he was totally unsuitable for... And then got on his back about it. There's a decent striker in Haller somewhere - but up top, toiling away on his own just ain't gonna bring it out.

He might be having a torrid time but he's still scored more than the likes of Lacazette and McBurnie so far this season.
1 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

stuart1975

Post by stuart1975 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Obviously its clear that Haller's workrate but it's no use having a target man and then having no one close enough to play off him, Moyes doesn't play Fornals who has the potential to get forward into those positions choosing to persist with Lanzini who is off form and doesn't play that type of game, Haller looked better when Antonio played up front with him, maybe Bowen may help him
0 x

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 pm

Haller is not a target man, he's not a lone forward, he's not Andy Carroll 2.0.
The mistake we've made here, the mistake we make over and over, is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
If we want more from Haller we play him in a two, or even better a three like at Frankfurt.
It's easy to get annoyed with players, but fuck me if the problems at our club don't run a lot deeper.

We've all heard the story Jack Charlton tells about Alf Ramsey telling him that he was picked not because he was the best CB, but because he was the best fit for Ramsey's system.
We don't do this. Too often we compromise and just buy a good player for the sake of buying a good player. And that's Haller.

If we'd bought him and dropped him into an identical, or at least similar, system to that at Frankfurt? That would've been clever, good business, why? Because you're giving a £40m investment the best possible chance to succeed.
What we did was fail to land Gomez. Compromise on Haller. And try to make him play in a system more suited to Gomez.
Of course the good news is that Haller has gone from trying to impersonate Gomez to trying to impersonate Duncan Ferguson. I'm sure it will go very well.
1 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 pm

I'm with the, he will come good brigade, given a decent service. Until he is given a hat full of chances and misses them all then I will come over to the useless cunt side. If we could somehow fit Fornals, Anderson, Antonio and Bowen into the side together he will get chances. Arnie only scored 8 in his last season, Haller has 6 already...I'll muff dive Pale's Yak if Haller doesn't score at least 10 goals for us this season....as well as 6 assists....... :shock:
2 x

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:00 pm

He’s class . He’s just not been able to show it .

And he’s not liable to either with a manager that respects the 2-0 defeat .

And by his body language , Helmut realises it as well.
1 x
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:23 pm

h69 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:15 pm

We will have to agree to disagree I'm afraid. If I was manager of a team I wouldn't want either Haller or Carroll anywhere near my squad. Imo they are both crap, but different kinds of crap, if you get my drift.

I do remember being moderately impreswed with Haller in his games against Watford and Norwich. I also remember being impressed with Carroll when he scored a hat trick against Arsenal and, very briefly, although if memory serves he did fuck all else in the game, when he scored THAT goal against Palace.

But I've only had two thirds of a season to scratch my head and ask what the fuck anyone saw in Haller to justify the fee. I had six seasons of watching that useless Geordie waster and asking myself the same question.
Difference is that his body could not take the way he played but he put the effort in.

Haller had no mobility, lacks effort and is so out of position that he has to constantly try back heels and stuff. And we know he can do it based on the first few games when he could be arsed.
Mate, if you picked any bloke from up and down the country who pays to play the game for fun on Sundays he'd put the effort in. He'd be fucking useless but, by hell, he'd work his cojones off.

I don't blame Carroll for making the most out of the (very) limited talent he possessed but in no other industry in the world would someone like him have enjoyed employment at an extremely high level for as many years as he did. Particularly as his not actually being available for work, probably at least in part being caused by his lifestyle, was a feature of his time as a West Ham player and, it appears, is still the case now.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Taansend

Post by Taansend » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:28 am

He's a good player with a proven track record but he's been West Hammed.
3 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am

Neville Bartos wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 pm
Haller is not a target man, he's not a lone forward, he's not Andy Carroll 2.0.
The mistake we've made here, the mistake we make over and over, is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
If we want more from Haller we play him in a two, or even better a three like at Frankfurt.
It's easy to get annoyed with players, but fuck me if the problems at our club don't run a lot deeper.

We've all heard the story Jack Charlton tells about Alf Ramsey telling him that he was picked not because he was the best CB, but because he was the best fit for Ramsey's system.
We don't do this. Too often we compromise and just buy a good player for the sake of buying a good player. And that's Haller.

If we'd bought him and dropped him into an identical, or at least similar, system to that at Frankfurt? That would've been clever, good business, why? Because you're giving a £40m investment the best possible chance to succeed.
What we did was fail to land Gomez. Compromise on Haller. And try to make him play in a system more suited to Gomez.
Of course the good news is that Haller has gone from trying to impersonate Gomez to trying to impersonate Duncan Ferguson. I'm sure it will go very well.
All very true, but we don't have players anything like the calibre of Jovic and Rebic to play as a front 3 with him.

But you're right about square pegs and round holes. It was fairly common knowledge we were after Maxi Gomez, who is a completely different type of player to Haller. Having signed Haller we have attempted to adapt him to the system rather than tinkering with the system to accommodate him.

Which is fucking stupid. You scout a player, you see what he can and can't do. Decide he's good at what he does and then bring him in and ask him to change his game. The same criticism has been levelled at England managers in the past. Making the mistake of selecting the best players and trying to get them to function as a team. Instead of picking the best team to play the system you want to play.

There's a player in the Bundesliga who would have been an ideal striker for us. I mentioned the bloke on here about 4 years ago when he was at Hoffenheim . He ended up at Bayer Leverkusen and is still a cracking player but now well out of our price range.

If some cunt like me can identify a player who'd be a good fit surely it shouldn't be beyond the ability of someone earning his living by studying footballers. It's Kevin Volland btw.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Social Media