Coronavirus

News, Banter and anything else non football!!
User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 8425
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: San Diego California
x 1247
x 461
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Taansend » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:24 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 pm
Irelands game against Italy been called off(Rugby)....would imagine rest of their matches will be as well,
Few Footie Matches there being played behind closed doors as well...seems to be focused in Italy
Europe wise...Korea/Japan bad as well..

Theres been more new case's outside China than in....

Evidently visitors to Chinatowns in London and Manchester are well down...
They're going to have to cancel the Olympics. Aren't they?
0 x

User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 8425
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: San Diego California
x 1247
x 461
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Taansend » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:34 pm
BlackDiamond wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Yeah,they say that for maximum effect - it's the old accounting trick. They keep adding but don't remove from the total those who have recovered. Like 78,000+ confirmed cases in China when 75% of that number have long recovered and are back living completely normal lives.
In this instance I don't think it's being reported just for maximum effect. Why risk a panic if the danger isn't real? As for the Chinese numbers, I don't believe a word of them, the true number of infections is likely magnitudes higher.

I'm leaning towards believing those health officials that are warning Coronavirus will become a global pandemic and that possibly 60% of the worlds population could be affected. Even with a relatively low mortality rate of 3% that's what? Around 135 million people? Not even to mention the financial, operational and logistical chaos an outbreak on a global scale would cause.

I'm a bit reticent to be blase and think the reports are just to garner viewers or sell papers because, for once they probably aren't.
The stock market here taken a major hit this week
0 x

User avatar
BlackDiamond
Posts: 4732
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 pm
x 778
x 507

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:11 am

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:34 pm
BlackDiamond wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Yeah,they say that for maximum effect - it's the old accounting trick. They keep adding but don't remove from the total those who have recovered. Like 78,000+ confirmed cases in China when 75% of that number have long recovered and are back living completely normal lives.
In this instance I don't think it's being reported just for maximum effect. Why risk a panic if the danger isn't real? As for the Chinese numbers, I don't believe a word of them, the true number of infections is likely magnitudes higher.

I'm leaning towards believing those health officials that are warning Coronavirus will become a global pandemic and that possibly 60% of the worlds population could be affected. Even with a relatively low mortality rate of 3% that's what? Around 135 million people? Not even to mention the financial, operational and logistical chaos an outbreak on a global scale would cause.

I'm a bit reticent to be blase and think the reports are just to garner viewers or sell papers because, for once they probably aren't.
As we agreed the numbers reported are badly skewed in both directions.

First the totals are not adjusted - patient recovery - and are accumulations. Second:the pathogen mortality, estimated at between 1-2% is inaccurate,in of itself; because there is no accurate confirmation of all coronavirus infections.
Any mild cases will not be recorded.

Therefore the mortality rate can only be guessed. The media don't like numbers that are not large and bold and therefore use the worst calculation they can get away with without challenge.

The 1918 flu epidemic killed between 50 and 100 million in 1 year. The 2019/20 epidemic has killed 3,000 in 10 weeks.

To future gaze and extrapolate millions of deaths, from such a tiny data set is to be alarmist and dishonest with the maths.

The bog standard heart attack kills 18 million world wide every year and doesn't get anything like this publicity. Because that's kind of natural,boring,old hat and importantly not as new as the latest fad disease with it's own cute name.

Plus heart attacks are not visual. Not like a load of cunts wearing stupid face masks.That serves like a brand logo and the media love it. And they probably invented it years ago (the wearing of face masks not the virus)...say,why don't you guys wear these,while we take your picture...
0 x

User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 5316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am
x 429
x 578

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mkhammer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 am

Taansend wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:24 pm
mkhammer wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:20 pm
Irelands game against Italy been called off(Rugby)....would imagine rest of their matches will be as well,
Few Footie Matches there being played behind closed doors as well...seems to be focused in Italy
Europe wise...Korea/Japan bad as well..

Theres been more new case's outside China than in....

Evidently visitors to Chinatowns in London and Manchester are well down...
They're going to have to cancel the Olympics. Aren't they?
Yeah gotta be on the cards mate...only 4/5 months away....Japan is starting to be affected quite
a bit...be Gutted...Love the Olympics..
0 x

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 9441
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Wuhan China
x 567
x 1305

Re: Coronavirus

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 am

mkhammer wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 am
Taansend wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:24 pm


They're going to have to cancel the Olympics. Aren't they?
Yeah gotta be on the cards mate...only 4/5 months away....Japan is starting to be affected quite
a bit...be Gutted...Love the Olympics..
I'm going to San Francisco in July, staying on the edge of Chinatown. Keeping my eye on things but Donny says it's fine.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

User avatar
mkhammer
Posts: 5316
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 11:12 am
x 429
x 578

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mkhammer » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 am
mkhammer wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:23 am


Yeah gotta be on the cards mate...only 4/5 months away....Japan is starting to be affected quite
a bit...be Gutted...Love the Olympics..
I'm going to San Francisco in July, staying on the edge of Chinatown. Keeping my eye on things but Donny says it's fine.
Walked down Gerard Street Couple weeks ago...after Brighton game I think,had a few beers in
O'neils top end...didn't think any thing of it...but when you see a few,well quite a few Chinese
wearing the face masks...makes you think of it...makes you aware...mood changer.
0 x

User avatar
palerider
Posts: 9441
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:35 am
Location: Wuhan China
x 567
x 1305

Re: Coronavirus

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:04 pm

mkhammer wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:21 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 am


I'm going to San Francisco in July, staying on the edge of Chinatown. Keeping my eye on things but Donny says it's fine.
Walked down Gerard Street Couple weeks ago...after Brighton game I think,had a few beers in
O'neils top end...didn't think any thing of it...but when you see a few,well quite a few Chinese
wearing the face masks...makes you think of it...makes you aware...mood changer.
How did they drink through the masks ?
1 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

User avatar
BillyDWhizz
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 7:34 pm
x 99
x 369

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BillyDWhizz » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:23 pm

The Euro's will probably go for a burton 'n all. The opening game is in Rome is it not?
0 x
Rounding to the nearest whole numbers makes them pointless.

User avatar
Newmarket
Posts: 11969
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 pm
x 1169
x 1010

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Newmarket » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:25 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:23 pm
The Euro's will probably go for a burton 'n all. The opening game is in Rome is it not?
Nah a venue for the opening ceremony would be changed easily enough surely ?
0 x
Bring back Jonathon !

User avatar
BlackDiamond
Posts: 4732
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:46 pm
x 778
x 507

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:28 pm

BillyDWhizz wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:23 pm
The Euro's will probably go for a burton 'n all. The opening game is in Rome is it not?
They might follow the Serie A model and hold the games closed to spectators. Don't know why the six nations games were not treated in the same way.

Inflexible thinking there
0 x

Post Reply

Social Media