West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Old Match Day Threads, Current one is under 'Football talk'
User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 5895
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Nokomis, Florida (for now)
Contact:

West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:02 pm

FLASHBACK I
May 3rd 1975. I was 6. I don't actually remember the game but I do remember wondering if the West Ham players would be confused because there were TWO blokes named Taylor on the team :i am genuinely amused: I also know that it didn't feel right for my dad to have Bobby Moore on the opposing team. I remember too that my favourite player was Mervyn Day as I loved being in goal and his name sounded a bit like Merlin the Magician.

FLASHBACK II
May 10th 1980. Now 11, this was maybe the greatest sporting day of my childhood (other than Torvill & Dean winning Gold). My favourite player scoring the winning goal against Arsenal made my fucking year :D I was also filled with hatred for Willie Young for his hack on Paul Allen. I couldn't fucking believe it. I was outraged. My blood was fucking boiling :evil: Anyway, we won & I was over the park in my kit running around after a football like a deranged kid.

FLASHBACK III
March 20th 2006. Now I'm an old bastard of 37 & moving from Fresno to either Vegas or San Diego. On this day I'm doing the 5 hour drive to San Diego to look at houses & arrange to meet SurfCityHammer (from HammersMad days) in LA to watch the game at a sports bar on a big screen. No other cunt was in there :i am genuinely amused: Times have definitely changed now as 'soccerball' is popular. When Ashton scored that goal where he did the little flick through the legs I knew we had a superstar who would take West Ham to the next level.

And now back to the present day. We're about to meet a completely different Citeh in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Their squad cost them approximately half a billion quid & they have strength in depth & the man many considered to be the best manager in the world (until recently anyway).

On the other hand we are coming into the game on the back of two losses & we've only scored from open play in one of our last five games.

We're fucked :i am genuinely amused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Ham & Citeh have met 103 times with us winning 37 & drawing 17. We've faced them four times in the FA Cup winning 2-1 in 1998 when goals from Berkovic & Lomas cancelled out a strike from Kinkladze at Maine Road. 8 years later we repeated the result up there when an Ashton brace was enough to hold off a late goal from Musampa.

Then in 2008 we drew 0-0 at home in this same fixture before losing the rematch when Elano got the only goal of the game.

Our most recent cup meeting was in the League Cup semi final when we lost 9-0 over the two legs :? Razvan Rat was a sub for us back then in January 2014. I wonder what Razvan Rat is up to nowadays.

Our best win in recent years was a 4-1 belter in November 2000 when our team looked like this....

Hislop
Pearce Pearce (Ian & Stuart) Ferdinand (Rio) Winterburn
Sinclair Lampard Carrick Lomas
Di Canio Kanoute

We also beat them 5-1 away on 21st March 1970. I remember that day well as it was the first time I used a potty on my own. How fucking chuffed was I? Our team that day included Moore, Howe, Bonds, Lampard, Boyce, Holland, Hurst and a certain Jimmy Greaves who was making his debut. He grabbed a brace &, not to be outdone, Hurst did the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to this week & I expect a few changes from the last few games.

Adrian should be called back & maybe Fernandes will get a start too. We may see the return of Carroll to the starting line up & I'd love to see Fletcher starting alongside him. As someone who was at Man Utd from the age of 13 I'd expect him to have a vented interest in the games & not just as a Hammer.

Kouyate & Ayew are gone which will be a big loss but it's now time for squad members to earn their crust. Hopefully Feghouli has his red card overturned so he can continue his progression.

We'll probably see the same back four that we've seen in the last few games (mainly because there's no other realistic options) so it's midfield where we might see changes. Noble should be back and Bilic has to decide whether to stick with a 4-3-3 or two full on strikers up front.

My personal choice would be....

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbog Cresswell
Antonio Lanzini Obiang Payet
Carroll Fletcher

But I'd expect a Bilic team to look more like....

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbog Cresswell
Feghouli Noble Obiang
Antonio Lanzini Payet

Either way a win is within our grasp especially if we can get the crowd geed up like the Chelsea game. Both our previous FA Cup wins were 2-1 & I think we'll do the same again.
1 x

User avatar
IronsForever
Posts: 2500
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:22 am

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby IronsForever » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:42 am

Taansend wrote:FLASHBACK I
May 3rd 1975. I was 6. I don't actually remember the game but I do remember wondering if the West Ham players would be confused because there were TWO blokes named Taylor on the team :i am genuinely amused: I also know that it didn't feel right for my dad to have Bobby Moore on the opposing team. I remember too that my favourite player was Mervyn Day as I loved being in goal and his name sounded a bit like Merlin the Magician.

FLASHBACK II
May 10th 1980. Now 11, this was maybe the greatest sporting day of my childhood (other than Torvill & Dean winning Gold). My favourite player scoring the winning goal against Arsenal made my fucking year :D I was also filled with hatred for Willie Young for his hack on Paul Allen. I couldn't fucking believe it. I was outraged. My blood was fucking boiling :evil: Anyway, we won & I was over the park in my kit running around after a football like a deranged kid.

FLASHBACK III
March 20th 2006. Now I'm an old bastard of 37 & moving from Fresno to either Vegas or San Diego. On this day I'm doing the 5 hour drive to San Diego to look at houses & arrange to meet SurfCityHammer (from HammersMad days) in LA to watch the game at a sports bar on a big screen. No other cunt was in there :i am genuinely amused: Times have definitely changed now as 'soccerball' is popular. When Ashton scored that goal where he did the little flick through the legs I knew we had a superstar who would take West Ham to the next level.

And now back to the present day. We're about to meet a completely different Citeh in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. Their squad cost them approximately half a billion quid & they have strength in depth & the man many considered to be the best manager in the world (until recently anyway).

On the other hand we are coming into the game on the back of two losses & we've only scored from open play in one of our last five games.

We're fucked :i am genuinely amused:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

West Ham & Citeh have met 103 times with us winning 37 & drawing 17. We've faced them four times in the FA Cup winning 2-1 in 1998 when goals from Berkovic & Lomas cancelled out a strike from Kinkladze at Maine Road. 8 years later we repeated the result up there when an Ashton brace was enough to hold off a late goal from Musampa.

Then in 2008 we drew 0-0 at home in this same fixture before losing the rematch when Elano got the only goal of the game.

Our most recent cup meeting was in the League Cup semi final when we lost 9-0 over the two legs :? Razvan Rat was a sub for us back then in January 2014. I wonder what Razvan Rat is up to nowadays.

Our best win in recent years was a 4-1 belter in November 2000 when our team looked like this....

Hislop
Pearce Pearce (Ian & Stuart) Ferdinand (Rio) Winterburn
Sinclair Lampard Carrick Lomas
Di Canio Kanoute

We also beat them 5-1 away on 21st March 1970. I remember that day well as it was the first time I used a potty on my own. How fucking chuffed was I? Our team that day included Moore, Howe, Bonds, Lampard, Boyce, Holland, Hurst and a certain Jimmy Greaves who was making his debut. He grabbed a brace &, not to be outdone, Hurst did the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to this week & I expect a few changes from the last few games.

Adrian should be called back & maybe Fernandes will get a start too. We may see the return of Carroll to the starting line up & I'd love to see Fletcher starting alongside him. As someone who was at Man Utd from the age of 13 I'd expect him to have a vented interest in the games & not just as a Hammer.

Kouyate & Ayew are gone which will be a big loss but it's now time for squad members to earn their crust. Hopefully Feghouli has his red card overturned so he can continue his progression.

We'll probably see the same back four that we've seen in the last few games (mainly because there's no other realistic options) so it's midfield where we might see changes. Noble should be back and Bilic has to decide whether to stick with a 4-3-3 or two full on strikers up front.

My personal choice would be....

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbog Cresswell
Antonio Lanzini Obiang Payet
Carroll Fletcher

But I'd expect a Bilic team to look more like....

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbog Cresswell
Feghouli Noble Obiang
Antonio Lanzini Payet

Either way a win is within our grasp especially if we can get the crowd geed up like the Chelsea game. Both our previous FA Cup wins were 2-1 & I think we'll do the same again.


Still no striker in that predicted Bilic line up although i do like Antonio up because of his pace. I wouldn't opt for that but it doesn't look bad
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
IronsForever
Posts: 2500
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:22 am

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby IronsForever » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:48 am

I think Bilic will go.

............................Randy......................

Nord........Reid...Oggyyyyy.............Cressssss

......Obiang.........Noble.....

..................Lanzini.............
..............Feggo.............Payet.......

....................Antonio...............

If he plays Carroll we lose the Pace of Antonio who would need to slot in Mid leaving it looking weak. Man city love that high press and we need outlets. With Feggo and Antonio fairly close together they can push their back 4 back with their pace. If Andy plays we will pump the high ball from defense and need 2 runners when he jumps leaving a hole if he doesn't win the ball
0 x
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
SoggyOggy
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:57 am

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby SoggyOggy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 pm

My starting lineup would be:
------------------Adrian-----------------
Byram --Nordveit---Reid ---Masuaku
---------Fernandes--Obiang-----------
Feghouli--------------------------Payet
------------------Carroll---------------
----------------Antonio----------------

Subs: Lanzini, Fletcher, Oxford.
Gameplan would be get Antonio and Carroll in the box and whip it in till they score. Fairly route 1 stuff. Don't want to see Nordveit at RB against a city team with the pace of sterling/sane/navas on the wing would hate him to have another Rashford situation. So i'd bring in Byram. And Cresswell deserves a rest so I'd start Masuaku who can easily outmuscle and match pace with all of City's wingers.
Lump the ball up to Andy he flicks it on to Antonio who gets a run straight on goal, we score. Wingers and fullbacks need to get forward as much as possible and not fuck about when we get up the wings just cross it early and cause problems for their CBs and goalkeeper who are all suspect. Trying to play through the middle would just be playing to into Pep's hands, we can't outpass a Guardiola team but we can bully them with pure directness. We also need to make the most of set pieces. Payet better put some good balls in for Antonio, Carroll and Reid to attack. If Bilic gets his tactics right I see us winning. whufc_crest
1 x

User avatar
redhammer
Site Admin
Posts: 2894
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:25 pm
Contact:

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby redhammer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Id like to see

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Lanzini Obiang Fernandes
Feghouli Fletcher Browne

Martinez on bench. Plus 6 others but definitely Martinez.
1 x

User avatar
Hammertime
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby Hammertime » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:26 pm

not sure what the fuck this game is going to bring? Battling injuries, AFCON and Antonio suffering from a touch of the Valencia brain and then we have to be on the wrong end of horrific officiating. It's going to take a lot of things to fall right for us to get anything out of this

Adrian

Nordveit Reid Ogbog Cresswell

Antonio Fernandez Obiang

Feghouli Carroll Payet
0 x

User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 5895
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Nokomis, Florida (for now)
Contact:

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:41 pm

redhammer wrote:Id like to see

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Lanzini Obiang Fernandes
Feghouli Fletcher Browne

Martinez on bench. Plus 6 others but definitely Martinez.


Completely rest Antonio?
0 x

User avatar
redhammer
Site Admin
Posts: 2894
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 7:25 pm
Contact:

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby redhammer » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Taansend wrote:
redhammer wrote:Id like to see

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Lanzini Obiang Fernandes
Feghouli Fletcher Browne

Martinez on bench. Plus 6 others but definitely Martinez.


Completely rest Antonio?


Id have him on the bench alongside Carroll, Noble and Payet as it would be naive to rest them completely and then you could have a scenario where it's 0-0 with 10 minutes to go and your only option is Quina. I'd look to mix it up but keep it game change-able at the same time but I think Payet & Antonio are the two I would rest if I could.
1 x

User avatar
Taansend
Posts: 5895
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:40 pm
Location: Nokomis, Florida (for now)
Contact:

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby Taansend » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

redhammer wrote:
Taansend wrote:
redhammer wrote:Id like to see

Adrian
Nordtveit Reid Ogbonna Cresswell
Lanzini Obiang Fernandes
Feghouli Fletcher Browne

Martinez on bench. Plus 6 others but definitely Martinez.


Completely rest Antonio?


Id have him on the bench alongside Carroll, Noble and Payet as it would be naive to rest them completely and then you could have a scenario where it's 0-0 with 10 minutes to go and your only option is Quina. I'd look to mix it up but keep it game change-able at the same time but I think Payet & Antonio are the two I would rest if I could.


If we're 3 nil up with 10 minutes to go I'd like to see Quina given a shot.

Sorry, I mean WHEN we're 3 nil up.
0 x

User avatar
Newmarket
Posts: 6679
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Re: West Ham v Man City - FA Cup Official Match Thread

Postby Newmarket » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:42 pm

If Carroll starts we are fucked . I think Martinez is eligible to play in cup games so I'd play him up top .
Their CB's won't know what's hit em .
1 x


Return to “Match Day Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests