West Ham decision revealed as one of four VAR errors after Sebastien Haller's no penalty call

Chat about anything football related here!
boxman

West Ham decision revealed as one of four VAR errors after Sebastien Haller's no penalty call

Post by boxman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 am

Thankfully it didn't prove to be costly for West Ham but referee chief Mike Riley has admitted the Hammers should have been awarded a penalty during the win over Norwich which was missed by VAR.

Striker Sebastien Haller was clearly brought down in the box by Tom Trybull in the second half with the home side already 2-0 to the good but no penalty was the on-field decision from referee Paul Tierney.

VAR did not intervene after the incorrect decision though and play went on despite the protestations of Haller and his teammates.

The incident is one of four that were not overturned by VAR having decided not to intervene.

The others were:

- Allowing Fabian Schar's equaliser for Newcastle against Watford to stand despite a handball by Newcastle defender Isaac Hayden

- Youri Tielemens not being sent off for a stamp on Bournemouth's Callum Wilson.

- Manchester City not being awarded a penalty when Jefferson Lerma stood on David Silva in the 18-yard box.

Referee chief Riley delivered the update at a Premier League "shareholders" meeting in London earlier on Thursday. He said after meeting to Sly Sports: "There were four incidents where VAR didn't intervene and had they done, we would have a better understanding of the role VAR plays in the game.

"[The mistakes] are all about the judgement of VAR and the process that we adopt.

"These are examples were VAR could have had a benefit and intervened to help the referee on the day."

During the first four rounds of matches in the Premier League this season, VAR has made 227 checks and six decisions have been changed, with the four wrong ones that should have been intervened in.

Hammers boss Manuel Pellegrini is a fan of VAR and has consistently said he is all for the technology, providing it is not overused. He said prior to win over Watford earlier this season: "It's difficult. It’s not the same, the emotion and the moment for the fans – they must wait to see if it’s a goal or not a goal – but it’s more fair.

"It’s impossible for the referee, with the speed that the players play at, to be in the correct position. After that you compare the referee with eight cameras.

https://www.football.london/west-ham-un ... e-16908801
refreshing to actually see this brought up by the press and for the referee to actually admit to the wrong decision.. sure i can expect that for the likes of man city or liverpool.. but west ham? never thought i'd see the day
0 x

palerider
Location: A small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Re: West Ham decision revealed as one of four VAR errors after Sebastien Haller's no penalty call

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:23 am

Tbf they named Watford too.

It was a shocking decision, thankfully not one that affected the result.
0 x
The cheque's in the post. Honestly.

thomasswe

Re: West Ham decision revealed as one of four VAR errors after Sebastien Haller's no penalty call

Post by thomasswe » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 am

Good that thay analyze this. Again i maintain that VAR takes the pressure of refrees and it should be aknowlegded that it's impossible to make 100% correct calls. It's a new complement - use it and keep building on it.

Also the pen was clear as day and you shouldnt need VAR to call that one, but for once the call actually didnt end up costing us a game for once.
0 x

Towie

Post by Towie » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Well there were a few bewildered faces around me when it wasn’t given.
If we could see it, why not someone from 10yds away or indeed sat in front of a screen with various angles.

Let’s see if the ref is dropped this weekend...
0 x
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Towie wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:01 pm
If we could see it, why not someone from 10yds away or indeed sat in front of a screen with various angles.

Referees make mistakes , they’re only human and that’ll never change .

That cunt Marriner , sat in front of the VAR screen , not wanting to override his buddy , should lose his job.
He’s the real culpable villain here .
2 x
I hate Thrush he’s an irritating Cunt .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Newmarket wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Towie wrote:

They are human. But it's encouraging at long last that someone has had the cojones to acknowledge they will make mistakes. Previously Riley has always been keen to present an impression that the referees are somehow infallible.

Progress, even though it's around 30 years too late. When I worked in Germany long ago their equivalent of MOTD often saw referees interviewed to explain their decisions----and occasionally admit they were wrong.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Towie

Post by Towie » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:02 am

Newmarket wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Towie wrote:

That cunt Marriner , sat in front of the VAR screen , not wanting to override his buddy , should lose his job.
He’s the real culpable villain here .
Ref had the clearest view in the stadium, a mistake I can overlook but this was just complete incompetence.
0 x
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

SoggyOggy

Post by SoggyOggy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 pm

Lascelles absolutely dragged Matip to the ground with an arm around his neck during a corner for Liverpool today and VAR checked and no pen was given. I'm starting to think it's a big joke.
0 x

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:31 am

SoggyOggy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 pm
Lascelles absolutely dragged Matip to the ground with an arm around his neck during a corner for Liverpool today and VAR checked and no pen was given. I'm starting to think it's a big joke.
Pretty much agree with that. If we are serious about addressing the shirt grabbing and so on VAR needs to be used to it's full capability.
1 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 am

SoggyOggy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:36 pm
The problem lies with the people who are watching the screens if anything. Atleast the offside calls *ive seen so far from VAR had been correct
0 x

Social Media