English Football suspended

Chat about anything football related here!
Ironworksfc

Re: English Football suspended

Post by Ironworksfc » Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm

hd1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 pm
The reason for lockdown is quite a simple one, which strangely many don't seem to get.

This virus will spread rapidly if allowed. If we allow it to spread rapidly unchecked then our hospitals would become overun and resources stretched to the limit. If we do not have enough intensive care beds and ventilators then more people would die due to the lack of resources. The more pressure the hospitals are under, the higher the risk to doctors and nurses and support staff which in turn puts patients at risk.

By limiting the spread, a similar number of people will still get it, but we allow the hospitals to be able to cope, treat everyone who needs it and save lives.

Lockdown is causing untold damage to the economy, but in time it will recover because it is fundamentally strong. People can't un-die.
Government message. Thanks, stay home, save lives
0 x

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc » Sat May 23, 2020 11:52 pm

Ironworksfc wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm
hd1 wrote:
The reason for lockdown is quite a simple one, which strangely many don't seem to get.

This virus will spread rapidly if allowed. If we allow it to spread rapidly unchecked then our hospitals would become overun and resources stretched to the limit. If we do not have enough intensive care beds and ventilators then more people would die due to the lack of resources. The more pressure the hospitals are under, the higher the risk to doctors and nurses and support staff which in turn puts patients at risk.

By limiting the spread, a similar number of people will still get it, but we allow the hospitals to be able to cope, treat everyone who needs it and save lives.

Lockdown is causing untold damage to the economy, but in time it will recover because it is fundamentally strong. People can't un-die.
Silly me, I forgot, it's now stay alert
0 x

hd1

Post by hd1 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Not at all, just common sense. Feel free to tell me which part of any of that is factually incorrect.

But as my wife goes to work each day to help save the lives of the likes of you, I'll tell her not to bother now as it's all a big myth
3 x

Oziron
Director of Avatars

Post by Oziron » Sat May 23, 2020 11:56 pm

hd1 wrote:

goodpost:) goodpost:) goodpost:)
0 x

Towie

Post by Towie » Sun May 24, 2020 12:00 am

hd1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:53 pm
Not at all, just common sense. Feel free to tell me which part of any of that is factually incorrect.

But as my wife goes to work each day to help save the lives of the likes of you, I'll tell her not to bother now as it's all a big myth
Mate, you’re wasting your time with him.

Some just don’t care. :roll: :roll:
1 x
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

JayK

Post by JayK » Sun May 24, 2020 12:14 am

I actually know of a nurse who has died recently. Not directly due to covid 19 but the immense stress it put her under and she died of a heart attack.
1 x
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun May 24, 2020 12:27 am

Towie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:59 pm
Whiskyman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:27 pm

I readily admit to missing the traditional Friday night mate. ;)
Ok, you personally are willing to take the risk but you could be someone who gets it and has no real symptoms. However by you carrying on as normal you might infect 10 other people, whereby maybe one of them dies because they have a severe reaction.

Funny how some are willing to take a risk but not think of the risk they put on others.

On the other hand I too am missing pub I might be tempted!
I guess it's all about balance isn't it ? Yes, there is always the risk that I could pass on the infection without even realising it. But, as I've said, I'm in a group that is recognised (I'm a bloke over 60 and blokes are apparently more susceptible than women) a supposedly vulnerable so I am aware of the "risks" to myself. Therefore is it unreasonable to expect others to be equally as aware of the risks they are taking ? I guess what I'm saying is that we should be allowed to exercise a degree of choice. For example I'd expect an 80 year old with historical respiratory problems to exercise more caution personally than an apparently healthy 40 year old.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman » Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 am

hd1 wrote:

A perfectly valid point. But we still have to ask ourselves how long we are prepared to continue causing damage to the economy, which of course means individual livelihoods. And we also have to remember that the current levels of government borrowing to support families temporarily deprived of their livelihoods can't be sustained forever.

You are quite correct saying that any virus will spread among the population if it is transmitted by human contact. So we have to face facts that until, and if, a cure is developed we have to live with it. It isn't suddenly going to pack it's bags and go back home to Wuhan Province.

Most of us I think accept we cannot remain in this lockdown situation ad nauseum so we have to ask ourselves how do we best adapt to life with the virus.
0 x
TRADITION--Just because we've always done it like this doesn't mean it's not incredibly SILLY

Towie

Post by Towie » Sun May 24, 2020 12:49 am

Ironworksfc wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm
hd1 wrote:

Full stop, after lives.

As you were quite picky with my English, I’ll return the favour.
;)
0 x

Towie

Post by Towie » Sun May 24, 2020 12:51 am

Whiskyman wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 am
hd1 wrote:

A perfectly valid point. But we still have to ask ourselves how long we are prepared to continue causing damage to the economy, which of course means individual livelihoods. And we also have to remember that the current levels of government borrowing to support families temporarily deprived of their livelihoods can't be sustained forever.

You are quite correct saying that any virus will spread among the population if it is transmitted by human contact. So we have to face facts that until, and if, a cure is developed we have to live with it. It isn't suddenly going to pack it's bags and go back home to Wuhan Province.

Most of us I think accept we cannot remain in this lockdown situation ad nauseum so we have to ask ourselves how do we best adapt to life with the virus.
By a gradual lifting of lockdown, and if you see the virus spreading quickly again we might have to go into lockdown again. Hopefully the damn thing will burn itself out.

You may get to the pub at some point this year. ;)
0 x

Social Media