Looks like Pellegrini

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: Looks like Pellegrini

Postby palerider » Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 am

The last bloke from Chile we had at the club escaped through a hotel window taking his passport with him.
0 x
It's not the principle. It's the money.

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:51 am

Gonzo wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:
If you was offered daft money for a stint in China,you would take it.Something he couldn't`t turned down.I don`t think it`s anything to do with money,I think it`s the challenge.

At least he knows the PL and has a great eye for a decent player.

Not any of the managers mentioned are guaranteed success.Emery or Fonseca have no PL experience and don`t speak the lingo neither.His brand of football is decent too.Weighing all things up,it looks a decent appointment Kriss IMO.

Others know more than me about him mate.

I was interested in your comment about him having a good eye for a player though.

I don't know enough about his record but he'll need to bring in 4 or 5 very decent players for around £10m each. If he has a record of doing that and has his finger on the pulse of the best upcoming talent then I'll be delighted.

I remain cautious though and still believe it's a risk where as Raga isn't.

Obviously I hope he does well but I'll not be hanging out the bunting.

Just 2 of the top of my head,Santi Cazorla and Kevin De Bruyne.Both have a fantastic range of passing.Ask the Arsenal fans whose the best passer of a ball they have seen and any proper Arsenal fan who knows his stuff will say him.
1 x

Clayton

Postby Clayton » Fri May 18, 2018 11:57 am

Gonzo wrote:
terrya1965 wrote:
If you was offered daft money for a stint in China,you would take it.Something he couldn't`t turned down.I don`t think it`s anything to do with money,I think it`s the challenge.

At least he knows the PL and has a great eye for a decent player.

Not any of the managers mentioned are guaranteed success.Emery or Fonseca have no PL experience and don`t speak the lingo neither.His brand of football is decent too.Weighing all things up,it looks a decent appointment Kriss IMO.

Others know more than me about him mate.

I was interested in your comment about him having a good eye for a player though.

I don't know enough about his record but he'll need to bring in 4 or 5 very decent players for around £10m each. If he has a record of doing that and has his finger on the pulse of the best upcoming talent then I'll be delighted.

I remain cautious though and still believe it's a risk where as Raga isn't.

Obviously I hope he does well but I'll not be hanging out the bunting.

Kris as far as having a good eye for a player , just a few of his purchases.
Nicknamed 'The Engineer', he has a long track record of bringing the best out of skillful players (such as Juan Roman Riquelme, Santi Cazorla and Isco) by tailoring his tactics to suit their needs instead of demanding they fit into a prescribed system.(obviuosly not my words mate ;) )

He definitely knows how to spot a decent defender and midfielder .

Nearly convinced myself that he should be 1st choice :i am genuinely amused:

Godin - 21 - 800k
Cacares - 20 - 900k
Cazorla - 22 - 1.2m
Camacho - 21 - 1.5m
Valencia - 19 - 2.0m
Flores - 22 - 2.1m
Last edited by Clayton on Fri May 18, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
3 x

BlackDiamond

Postby BlackDiamond » Fri May 18, 2018 11:59 am

Well I think we can all agree he knows how to keep Ballotelli in his place...and he sent the mighty Carlos Tevez home for forgetting his homework.

I doubt Antonio will be popping off to the shops interrupting training anymore...

And on a misty day he resembles a classy John Lyall...so I'm a bit chuffed and might have an early pint...
3 x

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Gonzo wrote:I was interested in your comment about him having a good eye for a player though.

Taking both City and Madrid out of the equation, we could look at his time with both Villarreal and Malaga, as both clubs aren't far off being the Spanish equivalent of ourselves.

At Villarreal he brought in;

Diego Forlan for under £3 million. A flop at United, but he went on to hit 14 goals in 15 games, finishing with over 20 for Villarreal under Pellegrini. he won the Pichichi trophy twice in La Liga (top scorer in the league), and joint-winner of the Golden Boot with Thierry Henry.

Diego Lopez for £5 million. Goalkeeper signed from Real Madrid who would go on to make 171 appearances for them before eventually going back to Real Madrid, then on to AC Milan.

Diego Godin for £800,000. Signed from Club Nacional in Uruguay, Godin played with Villarreal for three seasons before a move to Atletico Madrid where he's won La Liga and played in two Champions league finals. Over 100 caps for Uruguay and is their captain.

Santi Cazorla for £1.1 million. Signed from Huelva, played with Villarreal for 4 years before Pellegrini signed him again for Malaga then sold him to Arsenal for €19 million.

At Malaga he brought in;

Martin Demichelis for £2.5 million. Spent 2 years at Malaga before moving on to Manchester City. Won over 50 caps for Argentina.

Nacho Monreal for £5.5 million. Spent almost two years in Malaga before moving to Arsenal. 21 caps for Spain.

Isco for £5.5 million. Signed for Mlaga at 19, spent 2 years there before transfer to Real Madrid for £25 million. Spanish international.

He seems to have a knack for picking up players who perhaps haven't really fitted in elsewhere, and for spotting talented young players, especially in Spain and South America.

Those players mentioned are ones he got for reasonably cheap as well.

EDIT: Or what Clayton said already! :i am genuinely amused:
2 x

punkrockhammer

Postby punkrockhammer » Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Gonzo wrote:This is starting to look like a done deal.

This does not fill me with confidence at all I have to say.

For some reason, I feel the same way

Plus I hate his Easter island/old woman head and he looks like he smells of fags
1 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Fri May 18, 2018 1:02 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I was interested in your comment about him having a good eye for a player though.

Taking both City and Madrid out of the equation, we could look at his time with both Villarreal and Malaga, as both clubs aren't far off being the Spanish equivalent of ourselves.

Diego Forlan for under £3 million. A flop at United, but he went on to hit 14 goals in 15 games, finishing with over 20 for Villarreal under Pellegrini. he won the Pichichi trophy twice in La Liga (top scorer in the league), and joint-winner of the Golden Boot with Thierry Henry.

Diego Lopez for £5 million. Goalkeeper signed from Real Madrid who would go on to make 171 appearances for them before eventually going back to Real Madrid, then on to AC Milan.

Diego Godin for £800,000. Signed from Club Nacional in Uruguay, Godin played with Villarreal for three seasons before a move to Atletico Madrid where he's won La Liga and played in two Champions league finals. Over 100 caps for Uruguay and is their captain.

Santi Cazorla for £1.1 million. Signed from Huelva, played with Villarreal for 4 years before Pellegrini signed him again for Malaga then sold him to Arsenal for €19 million.

At Malaga he brought in;

Martin Demichelis for £2.5 million. Spent 2 years at Malaga before moving on to Manchester City. Won over 50 caps for Argentina.

Nacho Monreal for £5.5 million. Spent almost two years in Malaga before moving to Arsenal. 21 caps for Spain.

Isco for £5.5 million. Signed for Mlaga at 19, spent 2 years there before transfer to Real Madrid for £25 million. Spanish international.

He seems to have a knack for picking up players who perhaps haven't really fitted in elsewhere, and for spotting talented young players, especially in Spain and South America.

Yeah but he was younger then.
We've seen how age catches up with judgement, forward thinking and ambition/motivation (the former usually being a consequence of the latter). Fergie being one of a very few exceptions.
Worse than that, knowing our luck he'll sign up and then pop his fucking clogs.
Last edited by ToneLoc on Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

FlatCapDave

Postby FlatCapDave » Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 pm

ToneLoc wrote:Yeah but he was younger then.
We've seen how age catches up with judgement, forward thinking and ambition/motivation. Fergie being one of a very few exceptions.

:i am genuinely amused: ffs! Show some enthusiasm mate, you're not 65, are you?
0 x

ToneLoc

Postby ToneLoc » Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm

FlatCapDave wrote:
ToneLoc wrote:Yeah but he was younger then.
We've seen how age catches up with judgement, forward thinking and ambition/motivation. Fergie being one of a very few exceptions.

:i am genuinely amused: ffs! Show some enthusiasm mate, you're not 65, are you?

No mate, but I know there's a fair few "60-plussers" on here and I'm trying to get a rise so don't blow my cover FFS :P
2 x
"Gentlemen you can't fight in here this is the war room"

Clayton

Postby Clayton » Fri May 18, 2018 1:18 pm

ToneLoc wrote:
FlatCapDave wrote:

At Malaga he brought in;

Yeah but he was younger then.
We've seen how age catches up with judgement, forward thinking and ambition/motivation (the former usually being a consequence of the latter). Fergie being one of a very few exceptions.

Thanks Tone for putting me back on the straight and narrow , I had nearly convinced myself he was the answer , though to begin with I would have been against his appointment . But their is no denying he has quality , but he is as you say not as young as he once was , and would again be a short term solution to our management problem . ;)
1 x

Return to “Football Talk”