Liverpool V West Ham match thread...

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Liverpool V West Ham match thread...

Postby terrya1965 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:27 pm

I said we could get thrashed and it happened.

Liverpool were one of the best sides in Europe last year and if it was for a cheating Ramos,they would probably have been Champions and would have deserved that accolade.They scored more goals than any in the competition.This season,they have added in their suspect positions,the goalkeeper,Allison and a complete midfield player in Keita,who made it look so easy today.

We had 5 new players on their debuts with a new manager,with different ideas to our last manager.Has I and few others said,it will take a bit of time.

Like I said,I`m not going to worry if we do get thrashed,We are not going to play a Liverpool and City every week,who are a class above any of the other teams.If this Liverpool team played in any other era,they`d walk the League,unfortunately they have City in this one.

Let`s get the first 10 games under our belt and then see where we are with our new players,than we can start making judgements.
5 x

ryanguitarhammer

Postby ryanguitarhammer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 am

Gonzo wrote:
Newmarket wrote:I think he’ll make all the difference too Gonz . Sanchez is far from the best at what he does .
But he does it . And frankly we have nobody else that can :D

That’s not negativity by the way as I think we’ll outscore plenty this year and it’ll be a proper rollercoaster.

And I don't mind a bit of that mate.

I'm very interested to see what he does with Noble & Wilshere though.

Considering Wilshere has a better passing ability, can dribble, can beat players while driving forward and the part of the 2nd half we dominated before their 3rd goal was when he took control of the midfield albeit it didn't last long.
1 x

hammermolder

Postby hammermolder » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:12 am

MP is a fantastic manager,as someone said, it"s only taken him one game and we're already playing the west ham way :shock:
0 x

terrya1965

Postby terrya1965 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:38 am

Newmarket wrote:You could look at the afternoon with a mindlessly optimistic view that the first 3 goals were all offside at some stage of the build up , the match officials and , of course , the Victim-lickers at Sky all interpreting their own version of the rules to suit their Victim-licking agenda .

There’s no doubt in my mind that had the boot been on the other foot , so to speak , the lino’s Flag would have been up quicker than shit through a goose on each occasion .

Add to that our unprotected defence attempting to play an offside trap that is clearly (at present) alien to them and the fact that unfortunately the Dippers are a cracking team then all in all it’s not too shabby and a not totally unexpected result .

Besides . It did wonders for my dream team :D

Exactly how United use to win games under Fergie.

I always said that if every decision by United was checked,they`d have not won a quarter of their trophies.
0 x

Neville Bartos

Postby Neville Bartos » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 am

Pellegrini strikes me as a pragmatist. He doesn't seem the fire and brimstone, or even the emotional type.
The trio in midfield suggests he had half an eye on limiting damage, rather than attack, attack, attack. If he was going to go for it surely he'd have swapped one of that midfield trio for Yarmolenko or Hernandez?

Mind you whereas a heavy defeat can be written off, even disregarded given how much change has occured over the summer, an absolute caning could have set a tone for the foreseeable future.
Plus the dippers dictated much of what went on. It's hard to play attacking football when you don't have the ball, and they're probably the last team you'd want to try to press high against.

In all honesty we could have spent double what we did and still lost by 4.
And looking at our next 10 fixtures I'd be surprised if we weren't well in the bottom half by the time we travel up to Huddersfield.
I hope I'm wrong but this is a transition season and it might get worse before it gets better.
5 x
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

mkhammer

Postby mkhammer » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:46 am

It's gonna be a tough learning curve,if Peller is gonna be rigid with his back 4 high line thing,
(took the the spuds 5/6 years to sort their defence out before they could start making top 6
regularly) To me that's the hardest part of the game,an organised defence working as a unit.

I don't think we have the MF to go with a flat 4 (at the moment)it might come,but get ready to
concede plenty while getting it right,what kept the spuds going was their ability to bang in 2/3
each game..that's what we gotta do.
Sorry bout banging on bout spuds,but that's the pretty much the route i want us to take.

I would have def gone with a 3 for this,squeeze things up a bit,nothing wrong with a 4
but you have to be shit hot these days to play it...we're not,a 3 gives you more options.
Think we're trying to run before we can walk.

Excuses,hate them,but the timing of 2nd goal,doesn't get any worse,and you wont see
a more offside goal all year (3rd)....does f**k you up when your playing.
Micky taking some flak for work rate...don't agree....head down,getting to isolated,losing
possession yes..workrate No,thought him and Anderson were getting back well,you can't
get back every single time a side breaks..you wouldn't last 90 mins.

Arnie aint 100% :?

Seriously pissed off after yesterday,very disappointed, but said in an earlier post looking
at maybe just one point from first 3 games maybe,so ready for it...

We will improve and get better.....give it time....
1 x

Dwayne Pipes

Postby Dwayne Pipes » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:49 am

The bindippers will turn over a lot of teams at home this season although they wont get an easier ride than us this season.
0 x

h69

Postby h69 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 am

Castiron wrote:
h69 wrote:

Nope !

I thought people would melt down after 4 or 5 games but after 1 game away at Anfield ??....beats me why West Ham fans get called fickle !

Lucky you were not around in 85/86 as we were shit in the first game then as well....I think it was Brum away then though.

FFS

I was around long before 85/86 so you're not the only longest serving West Ham fan out there. I admire your blind optimism, but if you can tell me what was different about our performance today to any performance last season then I would love to hear it.
As I said the least we can expect is that we actually look like we are interested and look like we've learnt something from last season.
Pellegrini has had quite a long time to work out how to try to stop Liverpool from scoring 4 goals without reply, but it was clearly evident that he and the players didn't have a fucking clue how to deal with them.
A lot of teams, better than us, will get beat by Liverpool, but I bet they don't roll over as easy as we did today. Anyway early days, so to use your favourite word, I won't melt just yet.

Blind optimism :lol: :lol: I'm just pragmatic and will judge the team around Christmas time. Some players take a long time to get to grips with the PL and at the end of the day, this has to be a transition season for us.

So were you melting down in 85/86 when we were shit against Birmingham at St Andrews ? Its nothing to do with being a long serving West Ham fan. My point is that to judge a team after one game against the runners up of the Champions League away from home with 5 new players, a new manager and a different style of playing is naive at best and fickle at worse. In the 85 season at least we had the same manager and had only changed a couple of players and most had played in Britain. In fact, I dont remember us really getting our playing style right and fluent until a few more games in that season.

But fine, burn your season ticket and call for the sacking of players and the manager because they havent completely changed and started winning after 1 game as it seems that is the Sky Sports generation mentality that has got to you.
Last edited by h69 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Doombar

Postby Doombar » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 am

hammermolder wrote:MP is a fantastic manager,as someone said, it"s only taken him one game and we're already playing the west ham way :shock:

Very good, don't forget the gipsy curse and the West Ham lobotomy that happens to new players when we sign them.
0 x

Mikeveep

Postby Mikeveep » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:13 am

You have to be disappointed that there was not a moment to enthuse about despite the anticipated improvements.

It was like watching a Punto in a Grand Prix. We shouldn't have to play Galacticos in our fledgeling state.

I thought Rice and Noble were competing well and getting the ball to the attacking midfielders.

It never progressed from there.

The objective of taking the ball 20/30 yards and then making a constructive pass was not met at all.
0 x

Return to “Football Talk”