The true review - First experience of the London Stadium

Chat about anything football related here!
Mikeveep

Re: The true review - First experience of the London Stadium

Post by Mikeveep »

For me it was all good till the final whistle.

Very smooth access to the ground and the view was as good as I expected.

I never use the facilities,or the "facilities" at half time so cant comment on anyshortcomings there.

But I hated the 25 minute shuffle to the tube...that was a downer, I deliberately waited to clap the team off to see what it was like staying to the end. I cant see anyway of simplifying the journey.....think I'll be getting out of the starting blocks with a couple of minutes to go.

kingmidas

Post by kingmidas »

Mikeveep wrote:For me it was all good till the final whistle.

Very smooth access to the ground and the view was as good as I expected.

I never use the facilities,or the "facilit
ies" at half time so cant comment on anyshortcomings there.

But I hated the 25 minute shuffle to the tube...that was a downer, I deliberately waited to clap the team off to see what it was like staying to the end. I cant see anyway of simplifying the journey.....think I'll be getting out of the starting blocks with a couple of minutes to go.
I agree the views are fantastic and getting into the ground is no trouble.

Romfordhammer

Post by Romfordhammer »

I was at the game tonight and to be fair had a different experience to you. I can't comment on your thoughts of the food concessions as did not use them. I stayed to the end and found the whole process of leaving ok. You say you wanted to get to Stratford International and was stopped from doing so, this is not how I found it. We kept to the left on the walk out and when we got to the end when they were trying to divert us to Stratford, you could easily go to the left to Stratford International, there was even someone telling you to keep left for Stratford International.

We were able to then get into Westfield and have a couple in Tap East and let the crowds go down. When we left we were able to walk through Westfield to Stratford and got a TFL train to Romford without even queuing. I'm sure it will all settle down in the next few games, but if the service was as bad as you say at the food stalls, then let the club know, I'm sure they will want to know about these problems.....

Bubble dream

Post by Bubble dream »

Fair review kingmidas, was a bit underwhelmed myself as I though the facilities were gonna be a bit more impressive than they were, queing for the toilets and queues for the food and drink didn't seem to be non existent like we all thought and talk of how the Emirates stadium (haven't been there myself) and how the facilities are and how our new stadium was gonna be like didn't seem to materialise tonight. I know it's early days and the view from our seats was amazing so hopefully these gripes will get better with time ⚒
Last edited by Bubble dream on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

I felt well proud walking up to the Staduim.It`s certainly different to Upton Park.

I got there reasonably early and walked through Westfield,which was quite pleasant.

We went top the Club Shop.It seemed the training tops and blue polo tops went like hot cakes(got the last one in Large).

By the time I got out there and payed the ridiculous price for Burger and Chips and a drink(£25 ) for me and son,I`d run out of time to see Gonzo and Co.(next time).

Thought the atmosphere was pretty good(considering no alcohol was allowed to be served,a FIFA rule).I do think the atmosphere will be amazing for the big games.

A few people moaned about getting out onto the trains and tubes,but I didn`t see a lot wrong..A lot better than Upton Park Station.

a 3-0 WIN..Can`t moan.

A great experience and can`t wait to go again.
Last edited by terrya1965 on Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Towie

Post by Towie »

I had hoped to arrive early and take a stroll around the stadium, but an accident on the M11 put paid to that. So I was not in the best of moods anyway. I drove in and parked up at Leyton around the corner from underground. One stop to Stratford on central line. At Stratford getting to stadium and in nice and easy and I arrived at my seat just at 7:30ish. I was in tow 51 block 251 behind the goal and I have to say the view was fantastic and I'm an old git with dodgy eyes. Half time piss no problem with toilets and no queues!
Didn't go for food so I'll take your word for it.
Waited right to the end of match and applauded players off, then went to club shop to buy my son the new home kit, nice and easy loads of people on tills again no queues.
But then trying to get back to Stratford was a nightmare especially with my son dying for a slash. We left club shop about 9.50 and arrived back at Leyton station 10:45 nearly an hour probably would have been quicker walking it. They got to sort that out or their could be carnage when you mix away fans in.
Anyway overall a good evening and it certainly hasn't put me off.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

hamstew

Post by hamstew »

kingmidas wrote:
LeeWHU88 wrote:Echo the views of the OP.

It is a wonderful stadium on the eye, the concourse looks like west ham with all the claret and blue around, once you're out on the terraces though, it's lacking in West Ham, 1st thing I said to my mate was how minimal they've gone with anything west ham related on the seats.

Like I said in another post, I feared that the club was aiming to move the club away from the working class and more towards a corporate fanbase and judging on tonight, they're well on their way to getting that. I'm hoping that the league games will see an improvement on that side and maybe a lot of it was to do with non west ham supporters there (something I think will carry on regardless) but the future is looking more and more bleak for the "proper" West Ham fans who are going to have to deal with that week in week out.
I have to say Lee you are spot on here but you seem to have seen it coming more than I did. I guess my optimism clouded my vision and I rest did think the true West Ham fan would thrive in this bigger space with better facilities, better beer, more options and we can all now afford tickets.

I'm afraid there really is a plastic Arsenal feel to everything and I think we will here this comparison more and more. This is what the club want a family outing with fans watching the game on their seats and then getting the train home.

Our only hope is the true West Ham fans find a place to get together and have a good old east end knees up and sing along before and after the game and we just take the stadium for what it is.
What do you constitute as a true West Ham fan? So if I didn't have a good old east end knees up and a sing song before and after the match, nor did I mind the facilities etc.. at the stadium does that mean I am not a true West Ham fan? I don't even know what you mean by that.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Well I was impressed. It was strange seeing hundreds of Hammers walking through the shopping centre en route to the ground, but once you're there it's fucking impressive. Getting in was easy and finding our seats was a doddle. The view was great. I didn't use any of the food outlets so I can't comment on those, but from what I could see there was plenty to choose from. What I found strange was the seats underneath the scoreboard that were not in use, I have no idea how or what they're intended for, but no doubt we shall find out in due course. Hearing bubbles sung by 54,000 Hammers for the first time as the teams came out was something else. The game itself was a stroll. The boys did what they had to do and Domzale were dispatched with ease in the end. They were no mugs, but very rarely troubled us tbh. Kouyate most definitely motm. A much much better performance than the 1st leg ( that wouldn't be hard) but still a lot of room for improvement and hopefully with some new additions we'll be just fine in our new surroundings. Leaving the ground was a bit of a mare but to be expected and I'm sure that problem will be sorted out in time.
One special point was seeing so many young Hammers excited at being there, we were all those at one time, but it was great to see that the future generations of Hammers will get to enjoy the new stadium for many a year to come and there's plenty of em!
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening, even those shady looking characters down by the canal seemed ok. :D
COYI.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Pre game and during game were superb.

Post-game though is a serious concern. I spoke to the Police officers outside the stadium and they themselves said they're deeply concerned as to how people are being funneled directly to Stratford station with no option for a post-match beer
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

kingmidas

Post by kingmidas »

hamstew wrote:
kingmidas wrote:
I have to say Lee you are spot on here but you seem to have seen it coming more than I did. I guess my optimism clouded my vision and I rest did think the true West Ham fan would thrive in this bigger space with better facilities, better beer, more options and we can all now afford tickets.

I'm afraid there really is a plastic Arsenal feel to everything and I think we will here this comparison more and more. This is what the club want a family outing with fans watching the game on their seats and then getting the train home.

Our only hope is the true West Ham fans find a place to get together and have a good old east end knees up and sing along before and after the game and we just take the stadium for what it is.
What do you constitute as a true West Ham fan? So if I didn't have a good old east end knees up and a sing song before and after the match, nor did I mind the facilities etc.. at the stadium does that mean I am not a true West Ham fan? I don't even know what you mean by that.
West Ham has always been for the working class to let off steam on a Saturday afternoon. The reason I love this club is down to the Atmosphere, the songs and the passion. A true West Ham fan to me are the ones who will be at Colchester in the cup on a Tuesday night and travelled to places like Crewe and Rotherham and stuck by West Ham in those grey days. People who sing their hearts out for the team and understand where West Ham come from and what we are about. I really do hope we do not become a prawn sandwich eating coffee at half time sit down merchants moaning at fans for standing up and don't sing Arsenal type club it would truly break my heart.

To be honest I don't know what you mean by your comment would you mind sharing what your view of a true West Ham fan is?