Ouch! 6-0

Chat about anything football related here!
Ibbyham

Re: Ouch! 6-0

Post by Ibbyham »

andyginbrasil wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 am
ToneLoc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 pm I would honestly (and I really do mean this sincerely) be bored shitless if we were doing what Bayern Munich were doing every single season.

You're point refers to one season. What some of us are "whining" about is a prolonged period of monotonous dominance.
You're right Tone.....bored shitless. Bayern have won the championship 7 years on the trot, so have Juventus, PSG 6 on the trot, Barca 5, England on the other hand have had 4 different clubs win in 7 years so its not a forgone conclusion and they are all beatable. Imagine being a Portuguese football fan only 2 teams have won their PL.....in the last 16 years. :shock: ....now that's boring
Agreed too...same story every season, Bayern Munich, Juventus, PSG, Barcelona, Celtic and now even Man City. This is getting ridiculous and I have NO INTEREST of those teams at all. Next season, the same, and the season after so it is pointless to see how other counties fares. The only few countries have fairness teams, are Sweden, Finland, Norway, maybe Switzerland, Austria, Hungary and even Luxembourg.
"I am always correct", but "if I am wrong", please refer to the first phrase.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

andyginbrasil wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 am
ToneLoc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 pm I would honestly (and I really do mean this sincerely) be bored shitless if we were doing what Bayern Munich were doing every single season.

You're point refers to one season. What some of us are "whining" about is a prolonged period of monotonous dominance.
You're right Tone.....bored shitless. Bayern have won the championship 7 years on the trot, so have Juventus, PSG 6 on the trot, Barca 5, England on the other hand have had 4 different clubs win in 7 years so its not a forgone conclusion and they are all beatable. Imagine being a Portuguese football fan only 2 teams have won their PL.....in the last 16 years. :shock: ....now that's boring
That’s where we look to be heading mate. That’s the problem.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Marco Boogers Boots

Post by Marco Boogers Boots »

I get what some are saying here; we wouldn't complain if it was us. But, I'm not so sure.

It's a tough one, as I obviously want West Ham to be successful, but not at the expense of so obviously breaking the rules.

Yes, Man City fans are, on the whole, a good bunch and we have a good relationship with them. That doesn't mean that the club should get away with a blatant flouting of the rules. The Etihad "sponsorship" of the club is an absolute joke, but how much will be done about it? In 2014 they got a financial slap on the wrist, a slightly ironic fucking joke of a punishment for an organisation that is so rich.

Even if they get a season Champions League ban and a couple of windows without transfers, they'll be fucking fine. Their squad is plenty good enough to deal with that. So, much like actual doping in other sports, they will retain the strength that their cheating has produced. They should be forced to sell the players signed with the "dirty money" - it will never happen of course.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

ToneLoc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:36 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 pm Looks like the green eyed monster of envy is alive and well. If West Ham had the good fortune to be owned by a nation state and had just completed a domestic treble this board and others like it would be awash with triumphalist postings telling all and sundry how wonderful we are. There would of course be a very small number of people demanding the immediate sacking of the manager because we failed to reach the Champions League final. But I'm sure you get my drift.

Good for football to have one team so dominant ? Of course not. Unless that one team happens to be the one you support.
"If West Ham had the good fortune to be owned by a nation state and had just completed a domestic treble this board and others like it would be awash with triumphalist postings telling all and sundry how wonderful we are"
You are of course speaking on behalf of an entire support base without due consent !!
You ask my opinion? I would honestly (and I really do mean this sincerely) be bored shitless if we were doing what Bayern Munich were doing every single season.

Two seasons is hardly prolonged dominance but I get your point. It could be heading that way. And the financial fair play rules are the main reason that dominance will continue for a very long time. Scrapping them would be a start.

Would I be bored shitless if we won the league 7 years on the spin ? Possibly. I just don't know because it's never happened nor is it ever likely to. But as a supporter I would still enjoy the experience. Of that I am sure.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

I sincerely hope the PL aint heading into an era of one team dominance. This season was decided on the last day so even if city won it in the end it wanst a dominating season

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

Marco Boogers Boots wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 am I get what some are saying here; we wouldn't complain if it was us. But, I'm not so sure.

It's a tough one, as I obviously want West Ham to be successful, but not at the expense of so obviously breaking the rules.

Yes, Man City fans are, on the whole, a good bunch and we have a good relationship with them. That doesn't mean that the club should get away with a blatant flouting of the rules. The Etihad "sponsorship" of the club is an absolute joke, but how much will be done about it? In 2014 they got a financial slap on the wrist, a slightly ironic fucking joke of a punishment for an organisation that is so rich.

Even if they get a season Champions League ban and a couple of windows without transfers, they'll be fucking fine. Their squad is plenty good enough to deal with that. So, much like actual doping in other sports, they will retain the strength that their cheating has produced. They should be forced to sell the players signed with the "dirty money" - it will never happen of course.
What rules have they broke ? Nothings been proved yet and have they spent more than Man U or Scouse ? I bet if we was owned by some rich oil shiek and winning things every year a lot of our fans would be giving it the big one because its what football fans do. We dont want to see clubs winning everything every year unless its us doing the winning. Fair play to Watford fans who was great at the game yesterday.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Parry Hotter wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:16 am
Marco Boogers Boots wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 am I get what some are saying here; we wouldn't complain if it was us. But, I'm not so sure.

What rules have they broke ? Nothings been proved yet and have they spent more than Man U or Scouse ? I bet if we was owned by some rich oil shiek and winning things every year a lot of our fans would be giving it the big one because its what football fans do. We dont want to see clubs winning everything every year unless its us doing the winning. Fair play to Watford fans who was great at the game yesterday.
I've done a quick calculation, not for City because the amount will be huge and they will indeed have spent more than the Reds and the Dippers.

But those two are hardly paupers in the transfer and wages stakes.

Based on the last league game of the season, the Victims' team cost 305 million which would have been more had Firmino been fit as opposed to the 'cheaper' Origi.

To United's credit, Solskjaer fielded 5 home-grown players giving one, Greenwood, his debut. But they still had nearly 100 m worth of talent on the bench to add to the 175 million the starting X1 cost. And that's not including the crocked Alexis Sanchez who reportedly earns half a million pounds every single week.

The money sloshing around in the game is both astounding and obscene. In a country in which the amount of people visiting food banks grows by the week. And if City are found to have broken rules they should pay the penalty.

But it is what it is. I'd love to see some sort of cap placed on wages globally to even things up but it will never happen, so if we love watching the game we have to put up with it.

My general point is, it's not what you spend but the way you spend it and then manage what you've spent it on. In Pep, City have the best there is by a distance, but they lost four times in the league this season. They won the Carabao Cup on penalties and were two dodgy decisions away from being knocked out of the FA Cup at Swansea. So I don't subscribe to the idea of them 'dominating' the season. Imo it was a perfect storm.

It's up to the other teams, and we're one of them, to get a bit closer year by year. And it helps when you don't get turfed out of the cup by a team bottom of League One at the time.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

palerider wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:43 pm
Ibbyham wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm
Cheers mate....

Man City players have to keep feeding the Peppy the Pig for what he wants. :lol: :lol:
What he wants is to be even better.

Did you see him on the pitch with Sterling during the celebrations ? He was telling him where he went wrong ffs !

He may be obsessed about winning but apart from being a genuinely nice man it's why he's the best in the world. And why he's paid a fortune. It's a three-tier league now and as I've said, don't blame City for being the best.
Well said that man, as for the one said Ferguson was a preferable manager because....has a short memory. Why are people so jealous of Peps success? They paid for it off the field and earnt it on. Each player yesterday seemed to be working to a script, one well memorised as they knew exactly where to be and when. That was installed into them by one man. Can have lots of costly players, bu tdont mean squat if they only run around aimlessly. There was nothing aimless about their performance yesterday, and many a team should sit down and have a good look at the game again. They might just learn something.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer »

palerider wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:52 pm I honestly don't get the hatred by some.

City are culturally like us. Some success a long time ago then years in the doldrums. But their fans are the true fans of the majority of their city unlike United and their support from plastic tossers from all over the country.

And is it their fault the Arabs took over ? Ask yourselves. Had the Etihad people looked our way and we were now in their shoes we'd be upset about our good luck ?

Yes it's getting boring. I don't particularly like Troy Deeney but that aside I felt for Watford. But to ease up is showing them disrespect.

And it would be a fuck sight worse if it was the Dippers or the bacon-dodgers.
Man City are certainly picking up fans from all around the country now, just like Man United did

The amount of Man City fans with southern accents calling radio stations now is getting on my fucking tits

punkrockhammer

Post by punkrockhammer »

Gonzo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:55 pm
ToneLoc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:31 pm
It's not hatred Al.
Not at all. In fact....IF someone has to dominate so blatantly, i'd rather it be City than the other clubs you mention.

It's a perception of utter tedium and a sorry indictment as to the general direction of the global game.

The fact that their fans might not be absolute cunts is really no comfort at all.

We're like turkeys voting for Christmas. There was one team that had a sliver of a chance to halt their dominance yet the general mood was a preference for the dominance rather than Liverpool to break the stranglehold.

As someone who can remember Clough's Forrest and of course our own FA Cup win from the lower division I really don't get this fawning over a country using it's oil wealth to steam roll our domestic league. Social media is awash with people saying, "You have to admire them". Do I fuck.

How do you like your sport? Well it seems the answer is predictable and in the form of an exhibition. The premise of sport being a contest seems to have been universally discarded. Maybe it's something in the water that's making people gush for Goliath rather than David but for Watford you might as well read West Ham United.

I'm not deluded enough to think that we'd win the league but at least I'd go into each season hopeful of winning a cup. Not anymore, it's over I'm afraid and in the current Premier League incarnation there is very little point to Watford or West Ham.

With that in mind why should I laud and applaud what City are doing? It's financial doping yet when we play them next season we'll hear all about our special relationship with the City fans . . . .they're just like us apparently.
The absolute lack of hope of winning anything is why I’m losing more and more interest each passing year

I’m actually starting to wish we were playing in the Championship, where games are very often throwing up surprises or hard to call