Big 6----Or Not ?

Chat about anything football related here!
Mancunian Hammer

Re: Big 6----Or Not ?

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

Yeah big 2 at the moment. Unfortunately Man U will come again as whilst they are terrible at the moment they will replace Solskjaer and spend a couple of hundred million on players. If they take Pochettino and they lose some of their best players then Spurs could fall away. I’m not sure we can join the party yet but am hopeful, we will need to improve but we certainly have the platform from where we sit in the league as I write this

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

h69 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:39 pm

That next step requires a psychological change not new players. We need a winning mentality drummed into the squad and that is the issue with the team at present not the talent of the players.
Surely the next step should also include new Players as well H, we should always be looking to upgrade our current players every season, to at least keep up with the other teams. How many times have we had a fairly decent season and failed to capitalize the next through lack of transfer funds. Leicester were guilty of that after winning the league, they sold their best playmaker to Chelsea and replaced him with players of far less quality and suffered, the next season they were in a relegation battle and finished below us.
The next step therefore also needs to include regular large investment in players as well, if only one or two per season, but quality.

h69

Post by h69 »

andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:11 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:39 pm

That next step requires a psychological change not new players. We need a winning mentality drummed into the squad and that is the issue with the team at present not the talent of the players.
Surely the next step should also include new Players as well H, we should always be looking to upgrade our current players every season, to at least keep up with the other teams. How many times have we had a fairly decent season and failed to capitalize the next through lack of transfer funds. Leicester were guilty of that after winning the league, they sold their best playmaker to Chelsea and replaced him with players of far less quality and suffered, the next season they were in a relegation battle and finished below us.
The next step therefore also needs to include regular large investment in players as well, if only one or two per season, but quality.
I am not suggesting no longer buying players, I like what we have been doing the last couple of years.

But we have taken that step the last two seasons and of course every club should get better players each season but it is not always about just buying good players. Top teams get the best out of them and embed a winning mentality. That is what we are lacking right now. Do we really get the best out of Anderson, Fornals, Haller etc Early days but I am not convinced we do.

In my opinion, if we are not at least fighting for a top 6 place still at Easter then we have underperformed. This is the best West Ham squad we have had for a good few years and I think other the the top 2, Chelsea and Spuds it compares with more or less every other club so now it is time for them to at least fight their way into the mix.

Talent is only 70% of what is needed in my opinion. The other 30% is both psychological and effort/fight.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:21 pm
andyginbrasil wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:11 pm

I am not suggesting no longer buying players, I like what we have been doing the last couple of years.

But we have taken that step the last two seasons and of course every club should get better players each season but it is not always about just buying good players. Top teams get the best out of them and embed a winning mentality. That is what we are lacking right now. Do we really get the best out of Anderson, Fornals, Haller etc Early days but I am not convinced we do.

In my opinion, if we are not at least fighting for a top 6 place still at Easter then we have underperformed. This is the best West Ham squad we have had for a good few years and I think other the the top 2, Chelsea and Spuds it compares with more or less every other club so now it is time for them to at least fight their way into the mix.

Talent is only 70% of what is needed in my opinion. The other 30% is both psychological and effort/fight.
Can't disagree with too much of that, particularly the bit about player signings. One or two quality, by which I mean first team ready, players each summer is far more palatable than going back to the Redknapp days of bringing in 7 or 8 players no better than what was already on the books. I got fed up with seeing the likes of Gary Charles, Scott Minto, and the never to be forgotten Ragnvald Soma shipping up accompanied by the usual "for sures" and "top pros" pronouncements from the Bungmeister.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?