Have we been poor all season?

Chat about anything football related here!
Mancunian Hammer

Have we been poor all season?

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

Prior to the Crystal Palace game spirits were high, talk of us moving into the top 3 after sweeping aside these minnows, we had just beaten Man United and despite them being a much diminished force they are still a big club and we beat them without breaking sweat. We then went on to get what a lot of people thought was a decent point away from home at Bournemouth. Yes we had suffered a humiliating defeat in the Worthington Cup but the premier league was clearly the Managers focus and things were on track. Give Crystal Palace the spanking we all expect and we are on track for Champions League football. We know what has happened since then and now we look like we will be closer to bottom 4 than top 4 but I think you can argue we have not played well this season even when results were going our way and I actually think we were fortunate to be in the position we were prior to the Palace game.

First game of the season we got stuffed by City, a very good team though they are it was so easy for them and the way they carved us up was embarrassing.

On to Brighton, an extremely poor performance. How we got out of there with a point i'll never know. Think we were lucky in this one.

Watford, a 3-1 win. We did play some decent stuff in this one at times but Will Hughes missed an absolute sitter and the game could have gone another way, nevertheless 3-1 away from home is a decent result. Overall I did not think a good performance from us.

We then played Norwich at home, surely our best game this season. Pukki was on form and people were admiring their attacking football. In the second half of this game we saw the West Ham we have all wanted to see, but even in this game Cantwell missed a really good chance to equalise, had he taken that chance they may not have capitulated. Still you had to feel good after this one, we played nice passing football and should have scored more in the second half. Lanzini and Anderson looking superb.

Playing Aston Villa we could have expected to go there and win, reduced to ten men, an all round drab performance and in the end happy to leave with a point.

Man U up next and we won, that's about all you can say, we didn't play well but we won and we're feeling great, what will we do to teams when we do play well if we can beat Man United at a canter?

Bournemouth game and many were happy with this performance, I thought we were a bit poor so probably at odds with the opinions of most fans but we got out of there with a point after our arch nemesis Callum Wilson should have finished us off, I think we were again lucky to take anything from this game.

... and then our luck ran out beaten by Palace after going a goal up, crushed by Everton in a completely abject display and another poor performance against Sheff United at home where we get a disappointing draw.

Its not simply the results that have been poor its the level of performance, its the lack of fight and passion, its the team selections and the knee jerk reactions of the manager. I want to look forward to our games but win,lose or draw against Newcastle i'm fairly sure we won't see a performance that will inspire us.

Criticism of Pellegrini has often been met with people saying he is world class and talk of his time at City, Malaga and Villareal but that isn't going to save him from my criticism. I do believe we have a decent enough squad and its his job to get performances from this team, he's had long enough now to get his ideas across, he doesn't seem to be able to change things other than personnel, the formation stays the same, the attitude stays the same and its up to him to get us out of this rot.

People will say he should have had more money to spend but this groups of players is capable of better than what they are producing, being outclassed by teams like City and Liverpool i will take on the chin but watching our players give the ball away sloppily, look like they are pretending to challenge for headers and jogging around and allowing opponents time and space is just not tolerable. What are the answers? I don't know but i'm not paid 8 million pounds a year to come up with the answers. No i'm not saying Pellegrini out but I am looking squarely at the old fella to do something and not just carry on like this just dropping a few players each game because if things do carry on like this in terms of performances I will be saying Pellegrini out and I will not be alone.

Rumford

Re: Have we been poor all season?

Post by Rumford »

Played some good attacking stuff v Bournemouth and Norwich and a few moments at Watford where for once we took our chances.

The rest has been pretty meh...using a modern phrase.

Still lack shape and the right midfield mix..and help for the fella up top.

Keeper has been a huge loss...even though the Spic had his best game yesterday

Although I don't have much faith in his substitute decisions...I'm still very happy with the manager who has got his hands tied with the current situation.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

We haven't been good all year...quarter of season gone and still waiting for us to Click...
City and Norwich apart,all our games have pretty much been 50/50s...or 33/33/33s.... :lol:

The luck of the draw,dictates what happens,could easily have won yesterday, as drawn or
even lost it...
Funny game footie at times....fine lines,you can play pretty much the same game,luck can dictate
whether you get cheered or booed the next day,it's happening to us a lot this year.

We're still in that Middling ten/dozen or so,who never know really whats gonna happen on a Saturday,
what team is gonna turn up..

Top 5/6 win most of theirs...bottom 3/4 lose most of theirs....then there's us...
Thats what we need to move away from,the unpredictability of it...

Think Mr Peller has set his stall out on how he sees the Modern game,at an Average club in the
PL,and how he wants it played....So think this is gonna carry on for a while....

Still waiting and hoping for my dream team.....Red Bull and Diego Simeone...he'd get us playing.. :lol:
and would fit in with us lot perfect...but I'll dream on...
Cos neither will happen....

Would give Brighton and Potter what ever they want to get him here...really impressing me..
In fact would take their owner as well...that's a fan investing in the club he loves...
Done F.in Wonders there..

Going of topic again...sorry...

PdgPaul

Post by PdgPaul »

Just look at the number of points we lose from winning positions. I think we went top of that particular league yesterday.
Pellegrini is hell bent on attacking football but there are times when it is ok to park the bus and
Protect a lead. Even the best teams do that at times.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

mkhammer wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:26 pm
Still waiting and hoping for my dream team.....Red Bull and Diego Simeone...he'd get us playing.. :lol:
Cos neither will happen
So let’s get this right ...with Red Bull’s bottomless bank balance you’d sell your world class striker , buy (mostly) the best defenders money can buy ....

And play the most defensive mind numbingly boring brand of football imaginable.

But it’ll be great because we’d qualify for the CL qualifiers every season .
Bring back Jonathon !

Towie

Post by Towie »

Newmarket wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:20 pm
mkhammer wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:26 pm
Cos neither will happen
So let’s get this right ...with Red Bull’s bottomless bank balance you’d sell your world class striker , buy (mostly) the best defenders money can buy ....

And play the most defensive mind numbingly boring brand of football imaginable.

But it’ll be great because we’d qualify for the CL qualifiers every season .
Don’t forget the constant time wasting, winding up opposition tactics too.

Did anyone else notice Blunts started time wasting about the 10th minute in yesterday? Delayed free kicks, goal kicks etc. Also last minute of game they get a corner instead of putting it in box they kept the ball in the corner. Wouldn’t it be better to try and win the game last minute corner? Thought wilder was a good manager but went down in my estimation with those wasting tactics.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

Fantastic against Norwich.
Other than that...... as you were from the 2 seasons previous.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

For the most part yes.....the few times we play well proves they are just flashes in the pan....
We are now sliding down the league as always, to no doubt , barring a miracle turnaround , claw our way back up for a mid table finish come season end, using a few more of those flash in the pan moments and luck...depressingly predictable as always

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Makes you wonder why one of these press conference journo’s never puts Pellegrini on the spot and actually asks the question about our midfield...or lack of one.

Or indeed some of his inexplicable team selections and substitutions .
Bring back Jonathon !

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Top teams win even if playing badly. Maybe we were deluded that's what we were.

We play some beautiful football, we did yesterday. But we don't score. Why is that? Why is our decision making in front of goal so poor? Are they coached that way?

Would we really prefer to watch the Blades football every week, or Allardyce / Moyes football? Win with a smash and grab or set piece?

If this continues and we slide down the table and the r word looms, questions will need to asked of Pellegrini. Many already are.

I hate 75% of his substitutions and the timing of them. But who reallistically can we get in who is going to do better with a squad assembled for Pelle the way and instead play the "West Ham way"?