West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: History repeating itself

Post by JayK »

Clayton wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:40 am
JayK wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:32 am

You ain’t wrong. I’m not past caring but I am growing numb and deaf towards all the politics coz it’s just so bloody ridiculous. Like you, I see no change or end to it all until both are gone. Nothing we can say will change it. I will just wait but I won’t hold my breath
Couldn't agree more , but for some ridiculous reason I still can't wait for the season to start :? .
Yep. Stupid ain’t we :lol:
COYI!!!

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:24 am Even ancient history is rearing its ugly head. A very good mate of mine, a West Ham fan and former ST holder, won a large sum of money when we were relegated under Grant. The day the Israeli was appointed he placed a big bet despite being a Hammers fan. Bet from the head not the heart he told everyone, including me. And it paid off for him.

Guess what ? Fast forward a decade and he's just e mailed me to say he's lumped a big wager with Bet 365 at, would you believe, 14-1 on us going down at the end of the season. I have a feeling he could well be cashing in big time come next May. At 14-1 I may even have a dabble myself, although, stupid as it sounds, I would feel a little odd about backing the team I support to crash and burn.

But those odds are attractive. And if Steidten walks, as is strongly rumoured, I don't see them being available for long.
I saw 12/1 last night. I put a fiver on at 20/1 a few weeks ago. You’re right, it is a weird feeling betting against your own team.
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

JayK wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:44 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:24 am Even ancient history is rearing its ugly head. A very good mate of mine, a West Ham fan and former ST holder, won a large sum of money when we were relegated under Grant. The day the Israeli was appointed he placed a big bet despite being a Hammers fan. Bet from the head not the heart he told everyone, including me. And it paid off for him.

Guess what ? Fast forward a decade and he's just e mailed me to say he's lumped a big wager with Bet 365 at, would you believe, 14-1 on us going down at the end of the season. I have a feeling he could well be cashing in big time come next May. At 14-1 I may even have a dabble myself, although, stupid as it sounds, I would feel a little odd about backing the team I support to crash and burn.

But those odds are attractive. And if Steidten walks, as is strongly rumoured, I don't see them being available for long.
I saw 12/1 last night. I put a fiver on at 20/1 a few weeks ago. You’re right, it is a weird feeling betting against your own team.
20-1 is great odds. I guess if/when it happens it would be a softer landing than would otherwise be the case. I'm trying to get out of my mate how much he lumped on. He describes himself these days as a "professional gambler" so I'm sure it will have been a lot. Worrying thing is the bugger's more often right than wrong. Haven't talked myself into doing it yet though.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:08 am
JayK wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:44 am

20-1 is great odds. I guess if/when it happens it would be a softer landing than would otherwise be the case. I'm trying to get out of my mate how much he lumped on. He describes himself these days as a "professional gambler" so I'm sure it will have been a lot. Worrying thing is the bugger's more often right than wrong. Haven't talked myself into doing it yet though.
Yeah that’s it. Dampens the blow a little bit would rather lose my money of course. Couldn’t and wouldn’t go big like your mate has but you bet what you can afford to lose or less don’t ya.
COYI!!!

Towie

Re: Borges update

Post by Towie »

Signings? what is this you speak of?
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Brookbonds73

Re: Borges update

Post by Brookbonds73 »

I liked him when he used to win Wimbledon.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

Stick a fiver on for me please. Take it out of my winnings. :D

Used to hear that a lot back in the day :lol:
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............

HamstasParadise

Re: West Ham Ins & Outs 2023/24

Post by HamstasParadise »

I bought my "relegation insurance" at 16/1 a week or so ago. Betfair is usually the best - but Oddschecker.com is the equivalent of CompareTheMarket.com if you want to compare.

I do it every season to cover the cost of the ST for a couple of seasons if we go down. A very negative thing to do I know, but it makes me a bit more relaxed about the season, and I don't mind losing the stake. I got really good odds pre-season last year and would have been £3k to the good if we had gone down in May...... quid's in but I'd have been 'rich' and miserable.

It's like house insurance... you pay the premium, you hope your house doesn't actually burn down. But if it does there is something to take the sting out of it.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

HamstasParadise wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:48 pm I bought my "relegation insurance" at 16/1 a week or so ago. Betfair is usually the best - but Oddschecker.com is the equivalent of CompareTheMarket.com if you want to compare.

I do it every season to cover the cost of the ST for a couple of seasons if we go down. A very negative thing to do I know, but it makes me a bit more relaxed about the season, and I don't mind losing the stake. I got really good odds pre-season last year and would have been £3k to the good if we had gone down in May...... quid's in but I'd have been 'rich' and miserable.

It's like house insurance... you pay the premium, you hope your house doesn't actually burn down. But if it does there is something to take the sting out of it.
Do they insure for acts of God though, if we go down it will be " The Messiahs" fault.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

eskimo joe wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:16 am
HamstasParadise wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:48 pm I bought my "relegation insurance" at 16/1 a week or so ago. Betfair is usually the best - but Oddschecker.com is the equivalent of CompareTheMarket.com if you want to compare.

Do they insure for acts of God though, if we go down it will be " The Messiahs" fault.
Off season is definitely too long for you Joe. That one is painful :)
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............