West Ham vs Chelsea Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: West Ham vs Chelsea Official Match Thread

Post by JayK »

palerider wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:52 am
JayK wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:50 am

That clearly worked last time. They just need to admit he’s too shit for prem football, and probably too shit for championship too
Sometimes you can forgive the ref if he genuinely doesn't see it and that's what VAR is for. Not this time.
Yeah we all make mistakes. It’s the var ref I have the issue with coz they have the benefit of time and replays etc
COYI!!!

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

i cant keep up with who does /does not play for the west london wankers these days..
the only certainty i know is theyve always been an abortion of a club who i always take great pleasure in beating.

we're currently very fucking shite, but im predicting a surprise and very lucky 2-1 with 5% possession , that would make me laugh

HamstasParadise

Post by HamstasParadise »

This game falls on the anniversary of my first game at UP on 20/8/66. It was my 10th birthday present from my uncle, we stood in the Chicken Run. Coincidentally also vs Chelsea, and also our first home game after a trophy win, albeit then for the national team. The players just came out to rapturous applause, there was no special celebration.

Numerous legends on both sides, on their side Peter Osgood, Charlie Cooke, Chopper Harris, George Graham. Sadly we lost 1-2.

I’ve posted this before but the thing about the programme for this game that I always remember is not the WC photos but the fact that in the 20 days in between the WC win and this Chelsea game, Moore, Hurst and Peters played the full 90 mins in 3 overseas friendlies. Between the WC win on 30/7 and 29/8 they played 8 full games. No wonder everyone was knackered that season, absolutely no rest since the end of the previous season. Chelsea had no WC players.

Hoping for a different outcome, in our favour this time.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

HamstasParadise wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:05 am This game falls on the anniversary of my first game at UP on 20/8/66. It was my 10th birthday present from my uncle, we stood in the Chicken Run. Coincidentally also vs Chelsea, and also our first home game after a trophy win, albeit then for the national team. The players just came out to rapturous applause, there was no special celebration.

Numerous legends on both sides, on their side Peter Osgood, Charlie Cooke, Chopper Harris, George Graham. Sadly we lost 1-2.

I’ve posted this before but the thing about the programme for this game that I always remember is not the WC photos but the fact that in the 20 days in between the WC win and this Chelsea game, Moore, Hurst and Peters played the full 90 mins in 3 overseas friendlies. Between the WC win on 30/7 and 29/8 they played 8 full games. No wonder everyone was knackered that season, absolutely no rest since the end of the previous season. Chelsea had no WC players.

And we thought fixture overload was something new. ;)

66 was a little before my time but I've never been able to un derstand why a team with 3 WC winning players in it consistently performed so bloody badly in the league. The rest of the team must have been pretty bloody dire is all I can think. Would be interesting to hear the views of people who used to go to games back then.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

HamstasParadise

Post by HamstasParadise »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 am

66 was a little before my time but I've never been able to un derstand why a team with 3 WC winning players in it consistently performed so bloody badly in the league. The rest of the team must have been pretty bloody dire is all I can think. Would be interesting to hear the views of people who used to go to games back then.
Unfortunately I can’t help there, I saw a number of games but was too young to really understand the nuances. With only the FA Cup Final live on TV there was no chance for a youngster to learn about the professional game, and for a 10 year old being at a game was more about the excitement and atmosphere than tactics and performances.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

HamstasParadise wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:05 am This game falls on the anniversary of my first game at UP on 20/8/66. It was my 10th birthday present from my uncle, we stood in the Chicken Run. Coincidentally also vs Chelsea, and also our first home game after a trophy win, albeit then for the national team. The players just came out to rapturous applause, there was no special celebration.

My first game was against Chelsea in 1971.We won 2-1 with Clyde Best scoring twice for us.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Has fuck all bearing on this game of course but recall Bonzo getting a hat trick against the rent boy cunts.

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:36 pm Has fuck all bearing on this game of course but recall Bonzo getting a hat trick against the rent boy cunts.
Think that was 1974..I am sure he scored a first half hat trick.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

HamstasParadise wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:34 am
Whiskyman wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:15 am

Unfortunately I can’t help there, I saw a number of games but was too young to really understand the nuances. With only the FA Cup Final live on TV there was no chance for a youngster to learn about the professional game, and for a 10 year old being at a game was more about the excitement and atmosphere than tactics and performances.
I get that completely. If you wanted to see a live game you had to actually go along and watch it. And I reckon the atmosphere and excitement probably clouds the memory in a lot of people. Going to a game, particularly in one's teenage years, was a special experience and it was easy to get carried away with the passion.

I used to get mightily pissed off back in the day when people were feeding me the stories about the "wobderful football" West Ham used to play in the days of those 3. Even as a mere teenage sprog I often wondered why a team which supposedly played such wonderful stuff never managed to finish higher than 8th, even with those 3, and often found themselves battling relegation.

One of those urban myths I guess. ;)

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:36 pm Has fuck all bearing on this game of course but recall Bonzo getting a hat trick against the rent boy cunts.
I do actually remember that game. We had some memorable games against that lot, who were our main rivals back then because we were both seen as poor relations to Arsenal & Spurs but better than the other London clubs. Three come immediately to mind. Many years back at Stamford Bridge, over the Christmas period I think, we beat them 4-2 after being 2 down at half time. Clyde Best scored a couple as I recall. Another one whioch was a bit of a classic was a 5-3 win at Upton Park. Absolute cracker of a game. And of course there was the 4-0 win at The Bridge during our best ever season. Pity we managed to blow the return a week or two later.