Brighton vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Brighton vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Castiron wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:10 pm
garnett wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:56 am Morning, a good unexpected 3 points, we were brilliant for about 5 minutes and fortunately so was the keeper and a penalty decision that went our way.
Our bloke has a bit of a conundrum now, come Friday night we will be favourites, not a position he likes to be in.
Resilient United.
Champions of Europe.
If you look at the penalty shout from behind both players, they both lean in shoulder to shoulder, their player throws himself wildly to the floor, so no pen for me.
Yes a bit reckless and unnecessary from Paqueta, but if he didn't chase back, we'd all be skating him.
He does the hard graft aswell, which is great to see.
I actually thought Taylor had a decent game, didn't give in to their diving antics.
Could easily have been given. Someone needs to have a word with Paqueta, it was a fucking stupid challenge . Gave the ref a decision to make. And it was an AWAY match.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:36 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:56 am

For me Areola was MOTM and, as you say, he ensured the 3 points at the death. But in all honesty that was the only period of the game when Brighton looked really threatening. And let's not forget Antonio could and should have made it 4 and not too soon after that Brighton almost gifted us an own goal. So it could have been even better.

But Moyes puzzles me. I just didn't get bringing on Kehrer for Antonio. The style of play we use needs someone up top to at least give us a chance of holding on to the ball when it gets lumped clear. Otherwise it just invites pressure because the ball keeps coming back. There was one short spell when we were managing the game excellently. Just passing the ball to each other and killing time. I wish we would do more of that when we are in front instead of the welly ball tactic which imo we over use.

But this is not the time for criticism. Enjoy it while it lasts.
We do complain when he brings on like for like,but in this case,it should have been Mubama.
No Terry. WE don’t complain, you do. :lol:

terrya1965

Post by terrya1965 »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:42 pm
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:36 pm

We do complain when he brings on like for like,but in this case,it should have been Mubama.
No Terry. WE don’t complain, you do. :lol:
Blimey,you get funnier by the day..Well at least you like to think it ;)

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:37 pm
Castiron wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:10 pm
If you look at the penalty shout from behind both players, they both lean in shoulder to shoulder, their player throws himself wildly to the floor, so no pen for me.
Yes a bit reckless and unnecessary from Paqueta, but if he didn't chase back, we'd all be skating him.
He does the hard graft aswell, which is great to see.
I actually thought Taylor had a decent game, didn't give in to their diving antics.
Could easily have been given. Someone needs to have a word with Paqueta, it was a fucking stupid challenge . Gave the ref a decision to make. And it was an AWAY match.
I disagree . Paqueta obviously knows the rules of the game and a genuine shoulder barge has never , to my knowledge, been outlawed .
Just because some match officials seem to think otherwise doesn’t make it so .
The new directive to referees has obviously helped but Anthony Taylor got it spot on on Saturday.

Makes you wonder though , if we’d been playing at Old Trafford maybe …
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:18 am
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:37 pm

I disagree . Paqueta obviously knows the rules of the game and a genuine shoulder barge has never , to my knowledge, been outlawed .
Just because some match officials seem to think otherwise doesn’t make it so .
The new directive to referees has obviously helped but Anthony Taylor got it spot on on Saturday.

Makes you wonder though , if we’d been playing at Old Trafford maybe …
I don't disagree with you. But my opinion that it was a stupid challenge is based on the fact it gave the referee a decision to make. And as you have suggested some match officials may have seen it as an illegal challenge.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Have a feeling the old fashioned shoulder barge will be outlawed in the game in the future.

normannomates

Post by normannomates »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:06 pm Have a feeling the old fashioned shoulder barge will be outlawed in the game in the future.
YEP

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:06 pm Have a feeling the old fashioned shoulder barge will be outlawed in the game in the future.
It won’t be long before any physical contact is banned:

“Excuse me. You did not have my consent to touch me - I ask that you respect my personal space”.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Nothing wrong with the good old fashioned shoulder on shoulder tackle , but all the pushing in back with your arms and grabbing is not football, nor is going down in the tackle when theirs been no contact , I hate cheating divers .

HamstasParadise

Post by HamstasParadise »

Fair enough outside the box, but inside it only needs to be mistimed a fraction or the oppo player jinks a bit and you have a penalty on your hands. Once you are committed to to shifting your weight like that you can’t pull out.

Pacqueta’s was borderline, it didn’t look square shoulder to shoulder to me, slightly behind the BHA players shoulder so it will have given the ref and VAR something to make a decision on, it wasn’t clear cut shoulder to shoulder.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” (Mark Twain.)