Italy

Chat about anything football related here!
CambridgeIron71

Re: Italy

Post by CambridgeIron71 »

hammerman69 wrote:
CambridgeIron71 wrote:Thought it was forced rather than through choice. What big names stars did they leave at home?
Never mentioned big name players.....my point was about picking players playing for big clubs in Italy.....there are plenty of them.

Instead he went for a journeyman player who played for Sunderland a year ago and is on loan to a newly promoted side and a player who played for Southampton last season.....and rightly so because despite the fact that they play for less fashionable clubs, they were form players that performed.

However much Italy have few star players, they have players at bigger clubs than Giaccherini but chose him instead.
Are you talking about the squad or the team that started against Belguim 69?

The starting 11 had over 500 caps and had 4 players from the runaway Seria A Champions Juventus, 1 from 3rd placed Roma, 1 from 4th placed Inter and 2 from the Premier League including Man Utd.

As for your man Giaccherini, he won 2 Seria titles at Juv in 2 years with the current Italian manager so not as if he's picked him out of obscurity. He's a 5'4 skilful playmaker and no surprise BFS shipped out after 5mins.

They had less possession, less shots, less corners, but more fouls. We just got rid of one of those managers at club level. That's the model we want to base our national team on? Belgium should have blown them away but were too busy admiring their boots and haircuts.

The Italians simply haven't produced many good players recently, let alone world class. Poor in the Champions League and Europa for as long as we can remember.

But, as with Germany, and as we all know and someone else has mentioned, they just know how to play these tournaments.
Pretty bubbles in the air.

hammerman69

Post by hammerman69 »

CambridgeIron71 wrote:
hammerman69 wrote:
Never mentioned big name players.....my point was about picking players playing for big clubs in Italy.....there are plenty of them.

Instead he went for a journeyman player who played for Sunderland a year ago and is on loan to a newly promoted side and a player who played for Southampton last season.....and rightly so because despite the fact that they play for less fashionable clubs, they were form players that performed.

However much Italy have few star players, they have players at bigger clubs than Giaccherini but chose him instead.
Are you talking about the squad or the team that started against Belguim 69?

The starting 11 had over 500 caps and had 4 players from the runaway Seria A Champions Juventus, 1 from 3rd placed Roma, 1 from 4th placed Inter and 2 from the Premier League including Man Utd.

As for your man Giaccherini, he won 2 Seria titles at Juv in 2 years with the current Italian manager so not as if he's picked him out of obscurity. He's a 5'4 skilful playmaker and no surprise BFS shipped out after 5mins.

They had less possession, less shots, less corners, but more fouls. We just got rid of one of those managers at club level. That's the model we want to base our national team on? Belgium should have blown them away but were too busy admiring their boots and haircuts.

The Italians simply haven't produced many good players recently, let alone world class. Poor in the Champions League and Europa for as long as we can remember.

But, as with Germany, and as we all know and someone else has mentioned, they just know how to play these tournaments.
Once again....I did not say Giaccherini was plucked out of obscurity....go back and read what I wrote.

I said he was not at a fashionable club....I stand by that...what I am saying is that Conte chose a journeyman player that is on loan at a newly promoted club from an English Premier league at the bottom of the table....

Di Canio actually bought him for Sunderland but he was no shite under him as well. Prob just doesn't fit into the PL game but neither does Enner Valencia. I dont think he is shit but Giaccherini is not a big name player at a big club regardless of his history.

My point is that it would be really easy to select players solely from the top teams in Italy and ignore Giaccherini. A bit like a certain England manager that only seems to want players from the so called mega teams.You are happy with Henderson, Milner, Wilshere all being in the squad and the fact that Delph almost certainly would have been there too.

The fact that Giaccherini used to be a Juve player is largely irrelevant. The fact he is a Sunderland player on loan to Bologna last season is relevant.

The fact is mate that Italy look the best team after 1 round of games to me.

Frankly, in a tournament, I do not give a shit how much possession our team have as long as they win and that stat is bollocks anyway....I watched Spain diminate possession but were pisspoor in front of goal as we were....they just about got over the line but were dull as dishwater, we did not get over the line....Italy did.

No offense mate but that attitude with all the stats and how we don't want to base our team on that style of play and Belgium SHOULD have blown Italy away is the reason we dont win anything. Winning in a tourney is all that matters. We just dont get that over at the FA or we would pick form players regardless of whether they are at Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd or not.

In fact, Italy comfortably beat Belgium, looked good at the back, played a decent counter-attacking game and WON against the other 'big' side in the group. Belgium are ranked 2nd in the world but I have yet to see evidence of why they should have blown Italy away....they were the same in the last World cup....poor

You can have lots of expensive, big club players like Belgium or you can have a team full of players who might not be quite as good on paper but who are confident and know what they are doing and what their role is.....I know who I would rather England were.

Its all opinions of course mate but I cannot get excited about having Roy Hodgson at the helm

CambridgeIron71

My point about history with Giaccherini is that he was probably selected more to do with winning 2 Seria A titles at Juv while Conte was manager than the 7 goals he scored in the second tier of Italian football last season. No assists either.
So while he may be a journeyman, the manager knows him well and has probably selected him on previous reputation. And the fact their was no one else really to select.

I agree he is not at a fashionable club now, but would say he was a big name player in Italy.
2 league titles, numerous cups, twice as many caps as Kane and more caps than Ali, Dier and Rose combined. He's hardly an unknown.

The only 2 players from the starting 11 currently playing in Italy and not picked from the top 3 sides were Giaccherini and some fella from Lazio. I still can't think of any glaring names who were sacrificed from Italy's super clubs. You said there are many but really struggling.

Hodgson selected the 5 Spuds because of their form last season. I would also hedge a guess that was the reason for Vardy, and not because he plays for a "mega" club.

We have a keeper in our Squad from newly promoted Burnly, 2 from Southampton and 2 from Everton. Are these the elite clubs of English football you speak of?

I rate Delph, and to answer your question about Henderson, Milner and Wilshire it's not a case of am I happy they made the squad, more of who you would take instead? At club level I'd take Henderson over Noble and I'd take Milner over Moses and Antonio all day long. And we're not pinning all our hopes on Wilshire dominating the competition, he'll be used as an impact sub as he's someone who can change a game.

Would you be happy if Bilic reverted to BFS tactics next season in the domestic cups? It would upset a few on here.

I'm not particularly excited about Hodgson either mate but he's what we've got, English and will at least give it 100%
I thought we played ok the other night and were unlucky not to win.

All England managers get criticised for the players they select, mainly from fans like us who feel "ours" should have been selected instead. It's a poison fucking chalice of a job and not one any young manager on the up would go anywhere near.

Venables and Sir Bobby were the closest with have come to winning anything in the last 50 years. Proper man managers who got the best out of what we had. Should have given it this time round to Arry.

Anyway mate, no offence taken and likewise I hope. Always like your posts. just see this one differently.

And you are right about stats being a load of old bollocks, the biggest one currently being that Belgium are the second best team in World football. :lol:

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

Henderson over Noble, Milner over Mantonio? Your avin a fuckin laugh!
#fuckqatar2022

CambridgeIron71

Mantonio sounds a beast...