West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:07 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:54 pm Tell me, how many saves did Henderson have to make ?
5 according to the Manchester Evening news https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-19408811

"Henderson had more than played his part in making sure United were in a position to launch their now regular comeback as well. He made some crucial first-half saves when West Ham tried to take advantage of a disastrous first 45 minutes from the visitors.

The 23-year-old had to be sharp inside the first couple of minutes to save from Pablo Fornals and he made five saves in total, more than taking his chance on his first Premier League start."
I'm sure you will agree that there are saves, and then there are saves. ;) Imo Henderson was competent. But he didn't have to be better than that because, unfortunately, despite controlling the game for the first 45 minutes, we didn't really put him under serious pressure. And I imagine when he collected the ball after Haller's impersonation of a drunk crossing a skating rink that was classed as a "save". Hardly Gordon Banks in Mexico.

Had we been more clinical in front of goal we would have won comfortably. Which was also our downfall against Arsenal. It's encouraging that we were the better side in both those games, against teams supposedly part of the Big 6, and also competed well against Man City and Liverpool but we need to be more clinical in front of goal to press home our superiority.

As to whether the ball was out or not I don't watch MOTD so can't comment on what they showed. Although from the Sky coverage it seemed there was no camera located in a position where a decision could have been made.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

So Moyes has got us a pretty hard side to beat...we go into games like the Mancs thinking..yeah we can get something outta this..
We've started the season like none of us could have imagined,Brought in the Likes of Bowen,Soucek,Coufal,Ben,got Cress and
Arthur looking like very decent players,got Balbuena back on form.
Moved us to a side that can play a 3/5 ..which takes the pressure off of not having world beaters as FBs,which we all agree
with.
Brought in a coaching staff we're all bigging up,having got us fitter..etc..
Def has a Passion in what he's doing...and for us maybe..
Has to work with some unreliable,underhand,crafty...putting in mildy owners and CEO...
Defends his Guys/Players by saying I'm happy with them ,they're a good bunch........Seriously you want him to say....
"Nah they're shit"...... :lol:

And he's still the useless bugged eyed Jock to some...C'mon........

I didn't want him back,still would like someone else in....does a lot and sets up,that I'm not really on board with..
But can't take away from the fact,he's having a bloody good crack at making us a decent,even a very good side...
So Credit where it's due..

Towie

Post by Towie »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:42 am So Moyes has got us a pretty hard side to beat...we go into games like the Mancs thinking..yeah we can get something outta this..
We've started the season like none of us could have imagined,Brought in the Likes of Bowen,Soucek,Coufal,Ben,got Cress and
Moved us to a side that can play a 3/5 ..which takes the pressure off of not having world beaters as FBs,which we all agree
with.
Has to work with some unreliable,underhand,crafty...putting in mildy owners and CEO...
Defends his Guys/Players by saying I'm happy with them ,they're a good bunch........Seriously you want him to say....

I didn't want him back,still would like someone else in....does a lot and sets up,that I'm not really on board with..
But can't take away from the fact,he's having a bloody good crack at making us a decent,even a very good side...
I’ll admit never wanted him, however yes he has made us hard to beat, and actually we are playing some decent counter attacking football. But the problem with Moyes he will never change things up, no plan B, C or D. Which will be his undoing in the end. I’ll back him now he is ours at the end of the day but I think we can be critical of some of the things he does.

Ask yourselves this which teams football did you prefer watching yesterday Arsenal or Spuds. Now I know Spuds won but with 31% possession and 3 shots all game hardly sparking stuff, much preferred Arsenals style myself.

I prefer my teams to be a little more adventurous ala Southampton, Citeh, Liverpool, Leeds.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Towie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:54 am
mkhammer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:42 am So Moyes has got us a pretty hard side to beat...we go into games like the Mancs thinking..yeah we can get something outta this..
with.

I’ll admit never wanted him, however yes he has made us hard to beat, and actually we are playing some decent counter attacking football. But the problem with Moyes he will never change things up, no plan B, C or D. Which will be his undoing in the end. I’ll back him now he is ours at the end of the day but I think we can be critical of some of the things he does.

Ask yourselves this which teams football did you prefer watching yesterday Arsenal or Spuds. Now I know Spuds won but with 31% possession and 3 shots all game hardly sparking stuff, much preferred Arsenals style myself.

I prefer my teams to be a little more adventurous ala Southampton, Citeh, Liverpool, Leeds.
Yeah get what your saying Towie...we have no real creativity....what we do will get us 8/9th maybe but any higher,
you need more...but we're not an ugly side to watch.....Dec,Bowen,Micky.Yarmo,Lanza,Arthur,Oggy,Ben now hopefully,
are all good to watch,and we do play some nice stuff at times...not gonna set the world alight,but ok.
He must have hopefully anyway,an Idea of expanding a bit,he brought Ben in..

All I'm getting at is he's doing what needed to be done...get us like Everton were...still are.... :lol: a steady top 8 side,
occasional Euro footie,where maybe players wanna come,and build on that....year or two our owners jack,new owners
and ..Thanks Dave...a new younger Manager....Gerard for me at moment...

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

Moyes is no different with us than he has been for the last 8 years. We got lucky against Fulham, Sheff utd and Villa. Against Manu we played well for a long period and I think we were a bit unlucky and the performance overall was good I think even if the result wasn't. Did Moyes not realise that Rashford and Fernandes came on at half-time? What exactly did he do to counteract that apart from the usual shut his eyes and hope for the best and let the players run themselves into the ground whilst the opposition bring on fresh legs. Waited until the inevitable happened and the game was taken away from us and then replaces like with like but no change in formation to try and nullify Manus changes. Result may well have been the same but one thing was for sure and that was we were bound to lose as it was. And the result would have been the same with Antonio in the side.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

with.

I didn't want him the first time , and definitely didn't want him the second time , he just does not sit well with me as a manager , didn't like managers such as Howe , McClaren ,Hughes and Lambert to name a few either , nothing to do with ability though I think they are all short of it , its just their persona's .
Credit where credit is due , he has got us into the top half of the table , and got us through a very difficult patch , though results that didn't go our way could have done with a bit more of a reactiveness tactically from Moyes . And his tactics of late against the likes of Fulham - Sheffield Utd and Villa should have been better if he is to take us forward , though he doesn't really have the squad to do that if the truth be known , unless he experimented a little and tweaked the system a little , and brought in the youth which he has said he wants to do ( with young hungry players ) 🙄.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

mkhammer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:19 am
Towie wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:54 am

Yeah get what your saying Towie...we have no real creativity....what we do will get us 8/9th maybe but any higher,
you need more...but we're not an ugly side to watch.....Dec,Bowen,Micky.Yarmo,Lanza,Arthur,Oggy,Ben now hopefully,
are all good to watch,and we do play some nice stuff at times...not gonna set the world alight,but ok.

All I'm getting at is he's doing what needed to be done...get us like Everton were...still are.... :lol: a steady top 8 side,
occasional Euro footie,where maybe players wanna come,and build on that....year or two our owners jack,new owners
A steady top 8 side , why ? , what about winning something , what about attractive attacking football ( not every team loses that play it ) . What exactly did Moyes achieve at Everton apart from mediocracy , he didn't win anything , he got into europe a few times but even Bilic managed that , he got to the final of one F.A cup in eleven years of management at Everton and couldn't even win that .
Don't get me wrong I do not see our owners bringing anything to the table like they promised so Moyes is more then likely the best of a average bunch looking for a job we could hope to get .
Do I want to see him fail , certainly not , and I hope he gets the backing from GSB as Pellegrini ( another poor decision by our owners ) got , so he can at least attempt to build a team in his image , and then if it goes pear shaped it will be down to his decisions and his alone .

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Shortshanks wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:48 pm Moyes is no different with us than he has been for the last 8 years. We got lucky against Fulham, Sheff utd and Villa. Against Manu we played well for a long period and I think we were a bit unlucky and the performance overall was good I think even if the result wasn't. Did Moyes not realise that Rashford and Fernandes came on at half-time? What exactly did he do to counteract that apart from the usual shut his eyes and hope for the best and let the players run themselves into the ground whilst the opposition bring on fresh legs. Waited until the inevitable happened and the game was taken away from us and then replaces like with like but no change in formation to try and nullify Manus changes. Result may well have been the same but one thing was for sure and that was we were bound to lose as it was. And the result would have been the same with Antonio in the side.
The reason Rashford and Fernandes were introduced is becase they were only losing 1-0 at HT.

Had Antonio been fit and we had played like we did, then the score would have been more than one. And from that position, Rashford and Fernandes would have stayed on the bench for the entire game because of their CL fixture Tuesday.

So we could say by not taking our decent opportunities we encouraged Man U to take advantage of an opportunity. Which is exactly what happened.

Where David Moyes could have done better is reacting quicker to the situation. Or maybe he showed too much faith to the guys on the pitch.

However, that's spilt milk, water under the bridge and we live to lose another game...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:56 pm
mkhammer wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:19 am

A steady top 8 side , why ? , what about winning something , what about attractive attacking football ( not every team loses that play it ) . What exactly did Moyes achieve at Everton apart from mediocracy , he didn't win anything , he got into europe a few times but even Bilic managed that , he got to the final of one F.A cup in eleven years of management at Everton and couldn't even win that .
Don't get me wrong I do not see our owners bringing anything to the table like they promised so Moyes is more then likely the best of a average bunch looking for a job we could hope to get .
Do I want to see him fail , certainly not , and I hope he gets the backing from GSB as Pellegrini ( another poor decision by our owners ) got , so he can at least attempt to build a team in his image , and then if it goes pear shaped it will be down to his decisions and his alone .
So let's ask you a very basic question. Who would you like to see appointed as our manager ? You say Pellegrini was a poor decision and perhaps it proved to be. But there were a great many, I was one of them,, who thought his appointment was a good one bearing in mind his achievements with two Spanish clubs probably regarded in Spain as about the same level as we are here in England. The highest profile manager we have had was Allardyce and we know how popular he was do we not ?

It would be very nice if we , as a club, had sufficient stature in the game to be able to go out and persuade someone like Pochettino to sign a long term deal but we can't. Our ownership's reputation, as well as the club's history of underachievement, is a barrier to the appointment of any manager other than those who, like Moyes, probably see West Ham as as good as it gets for them.

I wasn't exactly over the moon when Moyes was appointed. But I like to think I am realistic enough to realise he is as good as it's likely to get. And bearing in mind the idiots in charge gave us Avram Grant, Moyes is probably better than we have a right to expect under the present regime.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Shortshanks

Post by Shortshanks »

So you think Fernandes and Rashford only came on because they were only losing 1-0 at half-time? I find that very hard to believe from a side that want to qualify for the Champions league especially as they were 2-0 down in their previous game against Southampton and made a double substitution at half-time also. Here is an interesting fact : "But since the start of the 2019/20 campaign, no Premier League team has dropped more points (32) from winning positions than the Irons" What's the manager doing wrong ?