West Ham vs Viborg Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
eskimo joe

Re: West Ham vs Viborg Official Match Thread

Post by eskimo joe »

Well can't say that was pretty by any stretch of the imagination bar the odd individual moments, Benny's assist being one of them.

Felt we didn't pressure them enough gave them too much ground, Viborg were at their weakest when we did. We had Cautious Curbishly, but there were times I thought Moyes outdid him.

After we scored we got the upper hand but once the shock had settled it was back to normality. I often wonder why when we have a clear opportunity to make a direct pass to a free player that we chose to use two or three extra passes to get it to him only for him to, by then, have no space. I wonder if Lanzini actually looks up, a few times I saw a clear opportunity for him to give a pass to the wing he is facing only to turn round and pass into a crowded area.

On the whole I think we played like a team afraid to lose rather than one that thought it could win. They on the other hand believed, and only poor action in the final third really defeated them.

Our MOTM, imo, Fornals, and he only played half the match, he was industrious and tried at least to liven our play up.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:23 am Was unable to watch. Not sure who has the rights this year (Paramount probably).

How did Ashby and Coventry perform? And Oggy?
Stan sports had it Oz , doesn’t sound like you missed much .
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

The match changed for the better once Lanzini went off. He was shit of the dog variety and has one good game in seven. The problem is his one good game is so eye-catching, the six crap ones are forgotten.

JayK

Post by JayK »

OZHAMMER wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:23 am Was unable to watch. Not sure who has the rights this year (Paramount probably).

Ashby was ok. Bit slow at getting back at times I think. Very keen to get forward and had a decent shot.

Coventry impressed me with his passing at the start of the game but became quite average for most of it but I don’t think Soucek supported him much.

Oggy was ok and done his job. Their goal came the minute he went off
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

eskimo joe wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 am Well can't say that was pretty by any stretch of the imagination bar the odd individual moments, Benny's assist being one of them.

Felt we didn't pressure them enough gave them too much ground, Viborg were at their weakest when we did. We had Cautious Curbishly, but there were times I thought Moyes outdid him.

After we scored we got the upper hand but once the shock had settled it was back to normality. I often wonder why when we have a clear opportunity to make a direct pass to a free player that we chose to use two or three extra passes to get it to him only for him to, by then, have no space. I wonder if Lanzini actually looks up, a few times I saw a clear opportunity for him to give a pass to the wing he is facing only to turn round and pass into a crowded area.

On the whole I think we played like a team afraid to lose rather than one that thought it could win. They on the other hand believed, and only poor action in the final third really defeated them.

Our MOTM, imo, Fornals, and he only played half the match, he was industrious and tried at least to liven our play up.
Good summary imo Joe. I actually thought Viborg were the better team the way they held the ball. The old mantra of "if you've got the ball the opposition can't hurt you however good it is" obviously isn't lost on them. But the fact we have better players, capable of the bits of individual skill that bought us the goals, won us the game.

I hope our coaching team took note of the way Viborg kept the ball. We could do worse than copy their methods when we're holding onto a one goal lead in the final moments of a game.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:25 am
eskimo joe wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:48 am Well can't say that was pretty by any stretch of the imagination bar the odd individual moments, Benny's assist being one of them.

Good summary imo Joe. I actually thought Viborg were the better team the way they held the ball. The old mantra of "if you've got the ball the opposition can't hurt you however good it is" obviously isn't lost on them. But the fact we have better players, capable of the bits of individual skill that bought us the goals, won us the game.

I hope our coaching team took note of the way Viborg kept the ball. We could do worse than copy their methods when we're holding onto a one goal lead in the final moments of a game.
You should know by now Whiskyman that Zmoyes doesn’t do possession.
Watch our game Sunday Brighton will have 70% of the ball.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Did notice last night Scamacca running into some good positions screaming for the ball only for our pedestrian fucking midfield to stop the game and pass back
Must be fucking frustrating for a striker
Oh to have a player with the vision and guile to play that killer pass.
Fornals on the odd occasion May provide but not consistent enough.
Scamaccas first touch and passing were abysmal at times but hope will improve as the season progresses and his settled in more.
Looked a bit rusty.

Have to say well done to young Ashby.

Onwards and upwards.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:42 pm
Clayton wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:39 pm Why has our midfield sat so far back , and left a hole in midfield , or am I just being overly critical .
I would say the team (not the squad) still needs two more quality additions
I would say that as well , so what positions would you be looking at BD ? For me its CM ( Koopmeiner ) and LB ( Sosa ) .

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Ashby had a very good game in my opinion ( should be starting in the league ) and Coventry was cool , calm and collected but as we see to often in the league their were to many sideways and backward passes , yeah he done ok , in my opinion better then Soucek . Just felt at times we sat to deep leaving a massive hole between midfield and the front three/one , ( Lanzini was atrocious ) we looked better when he was replaced by Fornals .

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Clayton wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:13 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:42 pm
I would say the team (not the squad) still needs two more quality additions
I would say that as well , so what positions would you be looking at BD ? For me its CM ( Koopmeiner ) and LB ( Sosa ) .
Yes definitely those two positions. The CM needs to be an influencer, a player that becomes the teams heartbeat.

That should have been the priority signing. Then you fill the spokes of the wheel around the hub.

The mistake was/is identifying Declan as that player. He is good but he's not that. England won't win the world cup because they have Declan Rice.