And that was that

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: And that was that

Post by Newmarket »

9898 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:15 am Happy we signed no player yesterday as it became obvious they were just looking for 'fan pleasers' and not players to progress the team.
Better to save the money, or, as I think will happen, buy one or two Championship players who may progress the team.
Sick of these useless lumps like Diop being signed and touted as potential stars.
Anyone plucked from the chumps now will come knowing we only want them cos nobody decent would come .

Personally I’d rather struggle through with what we have rather than buy Craig fucking Dawson or similar.
Bring back Jonathon !

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

h69 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 pm
only1salty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:35 pm I agree. If football was all about hard work and hard work alone Mo Farah would be a great player

Every team needs someone who can make you stand up and applaud for doing something you simply couldn't dream of doing yourself

Payet, Di Canio, Joe Cole, Le Tissier, Hoddle,

Anderson had the potential but because he doesn't look like he is sweating blood for the cause and tackles to keep the ball not just dispossess the opponent then he is never going to be our Neanderthals cup of tea.

Will disappear somewhere else and play in the Champions League
Unfortunately we still have fans that think that a pretty sideways pass that is useless is worth more than the kind of work that Soucek performs through a game.
Of course we need creativity but do you not think Fornals is providing that, 3 assists and a goal in 2 games is decent.
Or is it because he is Brazilian that Anderson gets a pass because other than one or two games, he often produces Zilch. He is not creative either

It has nothing to do with whether he looks like he is sweating or not. He needs to influence the game or he is pointless. He does not, ditto Lanzini.

I think there is a reason why we could not sell either in the summer and you don't see clubs queueing up to sign them for actual money !

Antonio may be raw but he influences most games he plays in, so does Bowern at present.

We have a system and we need to buy players that fit into it. That makes the team perform well. That system has been producing goals since lockdown.

I wanted to like Anderson but there is not enough there to warrant him playing and he certainly is nowhere near in the category of players you mention. Or do you think he influences games like Payet or Di Canio ?

Also I believe di Canio worked his socks off both in training and on the pitch. Nothing to stop players doing both.

Payet, Hoddle, Le Tissier,

Did they work hard? Fornals, your definition of creativity and mine are different. Cresswell provided 2 assists against Leicester - a cross and a lunar launch - creativity?

People aren't paying for them because we grab players on massive wages to get them here in the first place. We had to pay off Wheelchair just so he didn't come training!!!!! Rudiger turned us down because there was "no sporting incentive" he said in his interview - in other words didn't need the money we offer.

You like Soucek because he runs a lot and is effective. I like flair players because I can run a lot and kick a football but could never nutmeg a defender and stick a ball in the top corner from 30 yards. Anderson was good first season, lost confidence and is never going to play under Neanderthal so not going to fit the current outfit. Doesn't mean we all have to love it.

I have no problem with people who are all about the result.

That's not for me. If it was, I wouldn't support West Ham

Accept that someone else might see things a little bit differently.

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

So players needed are depth players as are starters are somewhat what settled, until injuries & suspensions inevitably take place. Josh King, Said Behnrama, Joe Rodon, Craig Dawson, Ryan Manning, Rico Henry would go someway or beyond to fulfill these roles, but I’m losing faith that any of them would want to play for our owners.
#fuckqatar2022

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Hammertime wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:11 pm So players needed are depth players as are starters are somewhat what settled, until injuries & suspensions inevitably take place. Josh King, Said Behnrama, Joe Rodon, Craig Dawson, Ryan Manning, Rico Henry would go someway or beyond to fulfill these roles, but I’m losing faith that any of them would want to play for our owners.
Craig Dawson ?
Rodon would make sense to a degree a young player with potential who is already playing as a international , but is CB really a priority now , we still have Diop and the youth guys with potential Baptiste and Alese waiting in the wings .
Shouldn't we be concentrating on positions that have no cover , like CM/DM - Striker - LB and Wing Forward that actually suit the system Moyes has found that fits the so called squad we have . Any injury to Antonio - Bowen - Soucek/Rice - and to a lesser degree Masuaku - Fornals will leave us fighting relegation because in my eyes their really isn't a like for like replacement on the bench .
Moyes would have to change the system to use the bench .

h69

Post by h69 »

only1salty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:09 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Unfortunately we still have fans that think that a pretty sideways pass that is useless is worth more than the kind of work that Soucek performs through a game.
Of course we need creativity but do you not think Fornals is providing that, 3 assists and a goal in 2 games is decent.
Or is it because he is Brazilian that Anderson gets a pass because other than one or two games, he often produces Zilch. He is not creative either

It has nothing to do with whether he looks like he is sweating or not. He needs to influence the game or he is pointless. He does not, ditto Lanzini.

I think there is a reason why we could not sell either in the summer and you don't see clubs queueing up to sign them for actual money !

Antonio may be raw but he influences most games he plays in, so does Bowern at present.

We have a system and we need to buy players that fit into it. That makes the team perform well. That system has been producing goals since lockdown.

I wanted to like Anderson but there is not enough there to warrant him playing and he certainly is nowhere near in the category of players you mention. Or do you think he influences games like Payet or Di Canio ?

Also I believe di Canio worked his socks off both in training and on the pitch. Nothing to stop players doing both.

Payet, Hoddle, Le Tissier,

Did they work hard? Fornals, your definition of creativity and mine are different. Cresswell provided 2 assists against Leicester - a cross and a lunar launch - creativity?

People aren't paying for them because we grab players on massive wages to get them here in the first place. We had to pay off Wheelchair just so he didn't come training!!!!! Rudiger turned us down because there was "no sporting incentive" he said in his interview - in other words didn't need the money we offer.

You like Soucek because he runs a lot and is effective. I like flair players because I can run a lot and kick a football but could never nutmeg a defender and stick a ball in the top corner from 30 yards. Anderson was good first season, lost confidence and is never going to play under Neanderthal so not going to fit the current outfit. Doesn't mean we all have to love it.

I have no problem with people who are all about the result.

That's not for me. If it was, I wouldn't support West Ham

Accept that someone else might see things a little bit differently.
Fair enough. I like Souček because he helps the team perform better and yes this leads to goals and wins. I like the fact that Fornals can see a pass and can play a defence splitting ball. For me that is also a skill.

Clearly we are different. I'm not interested in seeing a ballet dancer on the wing perform tricks while the team get slaughtered each week. Each to our own.

Fucking stunned you think Anderson is in the same class as Payet, Le Tissier or Hoddle though. Players with sublime skiill who could change a game on their own. How often has Anderson done that ?

jameskel

Post by jameskel »

Anderson is a luxury, we cannot afford to have. Too often in games, he just goes missing.

Oh, and looks a lazy cunt
Covid in the Boardroom

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:35 pm I agree. If football was all about hard work and hard work alone Mo Farah would be a great player

Every team needs someone who can make you stand up and applaud for doing something you simply couldn't dream of doing yourself

Payet, Di Canio, Joe Cole, Le Tissier, Hoddle,

Anderson had the potential but because he doesn't look like he is sweating blood for the cause and tackles to keep the ball not just dispossess the opponent then he is never going to be our Neanderthals cup of tea.

Will disappear somewhere else and play in the Champions League
The Anderson we saw in the first half of Pellegrini's first season would walk into most sides. Unfortunately that Anderson seemed to disappear and another one took his place. Imo there has to be a reason that goes beyond simple loss of form but Pellegrini failed to re ignite the spark and so has Moyes. Unfortunately I don't see him returning to grace our side as he did in the early part of 2018/19 so it's probably best for all parties if he moves on and tries to rebuild his reputation.

I get your point about liking players with flair, and the ability to get us up off our seats, but let's be brutally frank since the Brooking/Devonshire era we have had precious few of those haven't we ? DiCanio and Payet of course who both contributed significantly to decent seasons. Liam Brady who, although well past his best showed glimpses of real ability but sadly was surrounded by some utter gash at the time. But tbh I can't think of too many others. Obviously we were able to watch Rio Ferdinand develop into a player good enough for a top side, as Leeds were at the time, but his was a different skill. Equally valuable to the team but not the sort of player to get people out of their seats.

But most of the time it is the journeymen that will form the basis of West Ham and other teams at our level of the game.
Last edited by Whiskyman on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Didnt Anderson struggle at times at Lazio too? I think he just isnt that good, as in not able to consistent perform. He can be excellent, but isnt often enough to be worthwhile.

He has had his chances already

ToneLoc

Post by ToneLoc »

thomasswe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:12 pm Didnt Anderson struggle at times at Lazio too? I think he just isnt that good, as in not able to consistent perform. He can be excellent, but isnt often enough to be worthwhile.

Absolutely.
Part of being a “gifted” player is also being able to perform at a high level more often than not.
Consistency in itself is gift, a strength call it what you will.
It’s all part of the package.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

h69

Post by h69 »

ToneLoc wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:19 pm
thomasswe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:12 pm Didnt Anderson struggle at times at Lazio too? I think he just isnt that good, as in not able to consistent perform. He can be excellent, but isnt often enough to be worthwhile.

Absolutely.
Part of being a “gifted” player is also being able to perform at a high level more often than not.
Consistency in itself is gift, a strength call it what you will.
It’s all part of the package.
Exactly. Potential and showboating does not win football matches, The ability to affect a game positively does. It is the first thing that they tried to teach Joe Cole at Chelsea.

There have been some creative players at West Ham but if they are really consistent then they are likely to play in a Top 4 side as that makes them a rare breed. I am sure that is what Man Utd thought they were getting with Pogba but he looks shit when he clearly COULD be a good player for them.