England v Tunisia

Chat about anything football related here!
Flairon

Re: England v Tunisia

Post by Flairon »

Perhaps I am being a tad harsh but I thought England were shocking. No imagination, little creativity and zero pace or sense of urgency.

They looked like a team that has hardly played together.
Flairon

Marco Boogers Boots

Post by Marco Boogers Boots »

Alli is normally good, but I thought he looked half a yard short last night.

Young is stealing a living.

Sterling was poor.

I'd have them out and RLC, Rose and Rashford in against Panama.

The penalty I thought was very harsh, but then again if Walker was actually aware of what was around him it wouldn't have happened. With better positioning he wouldn't have been squarely facing his own goal, he has to sort his position out so he can see man and ball - hopefully he'll learn in this new position for him, as his pace is definitely an asset there.

Ron Manager

Post by Ron Manager »

Marco Boogers Boots wrote:Alli is normally good, but I thought he looked half a yard short last night.

Young is stealing a living.

Sterling was poor.

I'd have them out and RLC, Rose and Rashford in against Panama.

The penalty I thought was very harsh, but then again if Walker was actually aware of what was around him it wouldn't have happened. With better positioning he wouldn't have been squarely facing his own goal, he has to sort his position out so he can see man and ball - hopefully he'll learn in this new position for him, as his pace is definitely an asset there.
Alli took a knock, I'm surprised he stayed on. And yes, I'd have Rose instead of Young even though there'd be more than a hint of the stink of salt beef on the pitch.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

Good win deserved....just shows the fine lines in footie at times....you can play exactly the same
game....Cane hits the post with that header......and peoples/medias attitude switches...
Here we go again "same old shit" "cant score" "players aren't good enough"...... :lol:

Thought Maguire played well.....decent footballer....but all done ok.....but like a lot of teams
need a plan B when you can't break sides down........
Play a bit deeper to drag sides out.......hit diagonals into the box....need to get the ball
in the box as much as poss against these sides......they're so clumsy,never far away from a mistake
or a penalty...

Shoulda Taken AC Gareth........ :lol:

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

The Football we played in that first 25 mins was superb!! Could easilyyyyyyyyyyy have been 4 up.
Southgate needs to let Stirling loose and do whatever he wants. We need to see him running down that right channel and cutting inside. That might not happen with Trippier as a wing back though. Brazil drew, so did the Argies and the Nazi's got beat. So i will take that late win all day long.
We are not set up to break down a team with 10 players behind the ball. Wait till we play Belgium and then make a judgement because our offensive will see more space but also have to chase down more.
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Baddowhammer

Post by Baddowhammer »

I thought Alli had a poor game very ineffective,Trippier,Henderson and Maguire were good after Maguire settled down and De Chin finished well,we played high intensity first half in an attempt to be out of sight,worked well bar the finishing,we'll definitely need to be more clinical against better sides,but a decent start.COYI

h69

Post by h69 »

Flairon wrote:Perhaps I am being a tad harsh but I thought England were shocking. No imagination, little creativity and zero pace or sense of urgency.

They struggled a bit with the heat in the 2nd half and also that Tunisia were constantly hacking them down a bit like Switzerland did to Brazil. Needed a stronger ref and we would have won about 3 or 4 nil. First half they were very good.

Alli was not fit and shoudl have been replaced by Loftus Cheek earlier and Sterling didnt have a great game but I would still keep him there as against better sides, he will get more space.

I do think 3 at the back works but Walker is wasted as a CB as he is so damned good at RWB for Man City but Trippier played well.

All in all a decent performance and result. The best teams hit form in the knockout so make sure we despatch the whipping boys Panama in our next game and we are in a good position to qualify for once. Apparently that was only the third time we have won our opening game since 58 or something and Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil and Argentina have not won theirs.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

h69 wrote:
Flairon wrote:Perhaps I am being a tad harsh but I thought England were shocking. No imagination, little creativity and zero pace or sense of urgency.

They struggled a bit with the heat in the 2nd half and also that Tunisia were constantly hacking them down a bit like Switzerland did to Brazil. Needed a stronger ref and we would have won about 3 or 4 nil. First half they were very good.

Alli was not fit and shoudl have been replaced by Loftus Cheek earlier and Sterling didnt have a great game but I would still keep him there as against better sides, he will get more space.

I do think 3 at the back works but Walker is wasted as a CB as he is so damned good at RWB for Man City but Trippier played well.

All in all a decent performance and result. The best teams hit form in the knockout so make sure we despatch the whipping boys Panama in our next game and we are in a good position to qualify for once. Apparently that was only the third time we have won our opening game since 58 or something and Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil and Argentina have not won theirs.
Walker is a wing back and thats where he should be playing. Gave away a silly Pen as one of the center backs. Center back walker isn't. Replace Trippier with Walker and let him and Stirling overlap down that flank.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

IronsForever wrote:
h69 wrote:

Walker is a wing back and thats where he should be playing. Gave away a silly Pen as one of the center backs. Center back walker isn't. Replace Trippier with Walker and let him and Stirling overlap down that flank.
It would be a shame to drop Trippier I thought even though he plays for the spuds had an excellent game. It looks like Southgate cant decide which one to play so plays them both, and that means Walker unfortunately is playing out of position. Its nice for a change to have 2 really good wingbacks fighting for position in the national side.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

andyginbrasil wrote:
IronsForever wrote:
It would be a shame to drop Trippier I thought even though he plays for the spuds had an excellent game. It looks like Southgate cant decide which one to play so plays them both, and that means Walker unfortunately is playing out of position. Its nice for a change to have 2 really good wingbacks fighting for position in the national side.
If Bilic was manager he would have Walker playing left wing back in place of Young. Not sure what Ashley adds to the team other than experience and a wise head.