England v Tunisia

Chat about anything football related here!
Clayton

Re: England v Tunisia

Post by Clayton »

I know we all have our individual opinions of the game and the players performances , but what actually makes all the difference is the fact we actually won the game . This is one of the youngest tournament experienced teams ever put together by England at senior level and they won thier first match at the world cup something we dont do very often .
Personally think they did very well , especially with the penalty given to Tunisia which appeared harsh to me, and the officials strange decision making when it became obvious they were not going to give the same level of protection to Kane in the Tunisian box .

Noni

Post by Noni »

Thought as a young team we did OK. Was particularly impressed with Kieran Trippier performance throughout the match... I'm hoping as a team we can progress and hopefully make it to the next level. Another goal would of helped but heh, who's to argue at the final result!........

Ironworksfc

Post by Ironworksfc »

Noni wrote:Thought as a young team we did OK. Was particularly impressed with Kieran Trippier performance throughout the match... I'm hoping as a team we can progress and hopefully make it to the next level. Another goal would of helped but heh, who's to argue at the final result!........
For me trippier was the best player on the pitch

Kane had a good game, but is in no way captain material, not having a true leader on the pitch will hurt us in this competition

Lingard is wank!
Omicron is an anagram of moronic

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

h69 wrote:
Flairon wrote:Perhaps I am being a tad harsh but I thought England were shocking. No imagination, little creativity and zero pace or sense of urgency.

They looked like a team that has hardly played together.
They struggled a bit with the heat in the 2nd half and also that Tunisia were constantly hacking them down a bit like Switzerland did to Brazil. Needed a stronger ref and we would have won about 3 or 4 nil. First half they were very good.

Alli was not fit and shoudl have been replaced by Loftus Cheek earlier and Sterling didnt have a great game but I would still keep him there as against better sides, he will get more space.

I do think 3 at the back works but Walker is wasted as a CB as he is so damned good at RWB for Man City but Trippier played well.

All in all a decent performance and result. The best teams hit form in the knockout so make sure we despatch the whipping boys Panama in our next game and we are in a good position to qualify for once. Apparently that was only the third time we have won our opening game since 58 or something and Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil and Argentina have not won theirs.
The difference for me is I most certainly expect those teams to improve. I do not have the same confidence with this England squad.

Having said that, it would not surprise me if we wee to draw with Panama and then beat Belgium.
Flairon

h69

Post by h69 »

Flairon wrote:
h69 wrote:
They struggled a bit with the heat in the 2nd half and also that Tunisia were constantly hacking them down a bit like Switzerland did to Brazil. Needed a stronger ref and we would have won about 3 or 4 nil. First half they were very good.

Alli was not fit and shoudl have been replaced by Loftus Cheek earlier and Sterling didnt have a great game but I would still keep him there as against better sides, he will get more space.

I do think 3 at the back works but Walker is wasted as a CB as he is so damned good at RWB for Man City but Trippier played well.

All in all a decent performance and result. The best teams hit form in the knockout so make sure we despatch the whipping boys Panama in our next game and we are in a good position to qualify for once. Apparently that was only the third time we have won our opening game since 58 or something and Spain, Portugal, Germany, Brazil and Argentina have not won theirs.
The difference for me is I most certainly expect those teams to improve. I do not have the same confidence with this England squad.

Having said that, it would not surprise me if we wee to draw with Panama and then beat Belgium.
Like Switzerland did to Brazil, the Tunisia team we played hacked our players and put 10 behind the ball. I dont expect some of the better sides to do that so that will free some of the more creative players up such as Lingard, Sterling etc as both had good seasons. If Alli is injured then RLC should play.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I feel that is more than a tad generous tbh. I felt that we lacked creativity. But hey, that is my opinion, and like arse holes, we all have one, except for the poor fella who was surprisingly born without one.
Flairon

Noni

Post by Noni »

Why did Southgate allow Alli to keep playing on, when we all knew he was injured. Not until he's 75 minute, was he replaced. A little too late I'm afraid. Hopefully the dead leg will not last long!.....