West Ham without Marko Arnautovic

Chat about anything football related here!
Mancunian Hammer

West Ham without Marko Arnautovic

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

I have to be honest when we signed Arnautovic I wasn't exactly doing cartwheels, whilst I had seen him score some nice goals my opinion was always that he was what I call a 'match of the day' player (a player who scores the odd outrageous goal and makes some good highlights but when you watch ninety minutes of football from him every week its hard work and he really isn't worth the hype).

He started poorly cutting an isolated figure out on the left, he looked disinterested and lazy, a game against Watford sticks out in the memory where he sulked around and seemed to make little effort, fans were not impressed and a lot of us were worried we had signed a turkey.

Say what you want about David Moyes, he pulled a master stroke moving the big Austrian to centre forward. Once up front he looked a completely different player, scoring goals, terrorising defences, antagonising Mark Hughes and playing with the heart and passion the fans demand. Would we have been relegated without the transformation of Arnautovic? Probably not due to there being a number of poor teams in the division but we would have been very, very close. Think the game at home to Chelsea where he came inside and curled into the far corner and we then parked the bus, a seemingly unlikely three points which contributed to our staying in the division.

Since Arnautovic has moved up front he has become our talisman, Chicarito was meant to be our star man up front but with the way West Ham were playing football it was difficult for him to make an impact, we needed a player with stature and guile to physically match the premier league defenders and Arnautovic not only had that but he had the skill and technique to give them all kind of problems. As a supporter you always knew there was a chance of something happening with Arnie up top, a moment of magic, a goal out of nothing.

This season it still feels the same, whilst we have won games without Arnautovic you do feel that the team is considerably weaker, considerably less intimidating to the opposition and does not hold the same threat without him. Yes he sulks, throws his arms in the air and sometimes looks like he's carrying an injury when perhaps he isn't but he is still the man that you would look to when the chips are down. When Brighton went two goals up not so long ago some good substitutions were made but it was Arnautovic that scored the goals to get us back into the game.

Now it looks like he could force a move, and some would say well let him go if he doesn't want to play for West Ham etc etc. Its hard to disagree particularly as like most I feel let down and angry that the player that seemed to love the club and have an affinity with the fans wants to pack his bags for the promises of some far eastern cash. The problem for us is do we feel as happy with out other options up front? I know I don't, Carrol, Perez, Hernandez? Can they bring to the team what Arnautovic does? For me not even close. There are better players than Arnautovic of course but somehow he seems/seemed the perfect fit at West Ham. I honestly don't think a lot of top strikers could slot in as well as Arnie has and lead the line in the same way. We have been linked with some players, the best of which I think is Callum Wilson. Lets face it we know all about him and some could make the case that he is a better centre forward than Arnautovic. Somehow i'd prefer Arnautovic (in our team at least). We are not likely to get Wilson, Chelsea are sniffing around and they would want a huge transfer fee, far more than 35m surely. I think that Arnautovic would be very hard for us to replace even in the summer let along the next three weeks. As I write this we have just come off a favourable run of fixtures and lie 10th in the league after giving the other teams a 4 game headstart. We have injury worries and I feel that without Arnautovic we would do well to beat the 13th we finish last season. Can Pellegrini pull off a bit of Wizadry in the transfer market? The performances of Fabien Balbuena so far this season would suggest that he can but I do feel this is very bad news for us and that we cannot let Arnautovic go in the January Window.

We have made strides forward buy purchasing Anderson, Fabianski, Balbuena and Diop. Snodgrass now looks a decent player and the emergence of Declan Rice as an outstanding defensive midfielder have given us all hope that we can be top six rather than bottom 6. I felt that we were one or two players away from being superior to the likes of Leicester and Everton and for us to have a run at the likes of Arsenal. For me Arnautovic remains our best player and if there is a way to resolve this to keep him at the club and happy or at least until an adequate replacement is found (and as I have argued this will be tough) we should take it.

Mikeveep

Re: West Ham without Marko Arnautovic

Post by Mikeveep »

A good response to the "fuck the moody cunt off" brigade.

Towie

Post by Towie »

It not a problem, we just bring Hugill back. ;)
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Towie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:45 pm It not a problem, we just bring Hugill back. ;)
Christ, I'd forgot about him. He's like the Beetle option from one of those Top Gear specials.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Macca666

Post by Macca666 »

Wonder if we will see him in a West Ham shirt again. Pretty sure he will get a slight knock between now and kick off tomorrow, and even if he did start Im sure the fans will let him know exactly what they think and rightly so I'm my opinion.

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

Macca666 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm Wonder if we will see him in a West Ham shirt again. Pretty sure he will get a slight knock between now and kick off tomorrow, and even if he did start Im sure the fans will let him know exactly what they think and rightly so I'm my opinion.
I hope he doesn't get any stick. There's probably a half a dozen teams in the world who don't have to sell their players, the rest (including us) don't have a choice. Contracts mean nothing today. I hope he plays a blinder tomorrow and helps us win. I too wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, it's happened before, we'll still carry on regardless.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:11 pm
Macca666 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:54 pm Wonder if we will see him in a West Ham shirt again. Pretty sure he will get a slight knock between now and kick off tomorrow, and even if he did start Im sure the fans will let him know exactly what they think and rightly so I'm my opinion.
I hope he doesn't get any stick. There's probably a half a dozen teams in the world who don't have to sell their players, the rest (including us) don't have a choice. Contracts mean nothing today. I hope he plays a blinder tomorrow and helps us win. I too wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, it's happened before, we'll still carry on regardless.
The club is bigger than the player my learned friend.

And in 3 years I'll be worshipping a different star as I watch MOTD in my rubber gimp suit while slurping horse-rub.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Mate any club in the world has to sell a player who wants to move on. Man United had to sell Ronaldo because he wanted to go to Real Madrid. Barcelona had to sell Neymar to PSG. The contract only really ensures the selling club can demand a fee.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

Who is the ideal replacement? we can make due for the reminder of the season and still finish mid-table but it seriously hinder our chances at at cup run or 8+ table finish.

With what we have left I think a striking combo of Chica and Antonio is the best way to go as they compliment eachothers, Chico can finish but is lacking physical precence, and Antonio brings great physicality but can't finish - for him its shoot and hope.

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

Last season we would be down and out.

This season, we have two men in Pelle & Husillos who I trust to a) find a replacement and b) get the most out of those already there like Antonio.

I'm thinking this was not a surprise to them and they have already been working on dealing with it before we heard about it.

I love Arnie and this hurts. But no one is bigger than the club and I can't see any way back for him now.