Time to lay off the Og

Chat about anything football related here!
1985whu

Time to lay off the Og

Post by 1985whu »

I know he's got a battering at times for some sub-standard performances this season but, and I for one have been looking forward to the return of Balbuena more than Lanzini (he's the more crucial return in my opinion, as the position is where we need it more than the Lanzini role), Og has been a professional for WHU. His attitude has been great and that goes a long way. Let's not forget some titan games he's played for us over recent years.

If/when Balbuena returns to claim his partnership with Diop, I will be happy. But would be sad if Og moved on to get more 1st team football. Thing is, if Diop or Balbuena get fucked with in juries again, who else can we fall back on? Yeah, Rice can play there but his strength is MF. Reid?

Other than what I would highlight with ANY WHU player who'se had a bad game here and there, I'd never slate the bloke. Even if he moves on he'll always have my respect and not deserving of the general Og-bashings he's received.

thomasswe

Re: Time to lay off the Og

Post by thomasswe »

Completely agree and this happens with many players who has a bad run or performances. Antonio is another example.

I fear we might lose Og in the summer as he will (and probably should) be looking to be starting most games and out squad will be weakened for it as frankly, we should consider ourselves lucky to have a CB of his calibre as backup as a mid table team.

palerider

Post by palerider »

When Fulham scored I thought where the fuck is he ? The cross took a slight deflection that I hadn't seen at first but I'm not sure it made a difference, but after that he had a very good game.

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

I Like him...great attitude...always tries his best (as you should) But,
Think he's a bit to weak on his right side,so makes him a bit suss anything coming in quickly from
the rightside.

Good Player...doesn't deserve some of the flak he's been getting...Playing OK IMO..
But doesn't start for me....Always try and gauge a player by...could he get in a top 6 side,
don't think he could..

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

His future is out of our hands really. He's good enough to be a regular starter but is obviously down the pecking order when everyone's fit. He's 31 in May, if someone comes in for him in the summer with a decent enough bid, whether we like it or not I think he'll leave in order to find more playing time.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

steelback

Post by steelback »

he has good games, he has bad games... ultimately he falls foul of the fact that sometimes we just love to bag a player.

with a fully fit squad (unicorn and fairy tale territory) would he be first choice? I highly doubt that, but he's very valuable depth player that a fair few other teams wouldn't mind having.

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

He falls in the category of "wouldn't start if everyone was fit but doesn't deserve to siot on the bench" for a whole season.

If we were in europe i hink we might persuade him to stay as we would need to rotate more but when Balbuena is back he deserves to go straight into the first team whenever ready, as he was that good before his injury.

Diop is a beast and probably the best young cb in the league at that age?

Which likely means the bench for Ogbonna, I rate him but he is more prone to making mistakes then the other two, also I think out of all our CB:s Og is the one most likely to score as he always seems to have one or two really good chances each game.

To sum it up: I hope we can keep him as we can't expect to find a better 3rd choice CB(A fit and in form Reid is but who knows if he
ll ever get back to that level again) but i wouldn't either be suprised or blame hem if he went away to get regular starts.

I was watching some Reid highlight a couple of days ago and it would be nice to see him abck playing for us again, even in a Collins-esque manner.

BCHammer

Post by BCHammer »

His worst performances are when he is with Arthur.

Cress is back, and looking more like the player he once was to boot, and Oggy is better too. No coincidence.

Would be perfect for someone like Fulham, Everton or Leicester.

But with our injury record, we need someone like that as back up, he will get half a season or more anyway. You just know when the general is back, Diop will get a massive injury...

Mikeveep

Post by Mikeveep »

Everybody is better when Arthur isn't playing.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

BCHammer wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:23 pm But with our injury record, we need someone like that as back up, he will get half a season or more anyway. You just know when the general is back, Diop will get a massive injury...
I concur.

Without Googling, I would hazard a guess that James Collins played more games than the Reid and Tomkins combination when they were the preferred starters, and then again when Reid and Ogbonna were the preferred starters.

Could be wrong though.