My slight, niggling, concern about Pellegrini

Chat about anything football related here!
1985whu

My slight, niggling, concern about Pellegrini

Post by 1985whu »

Going into his second season at the helm, I'm very pleased with his tenure so far. The signings of Fornals and Haller are top draw and exactly what we needed.

We all know Pelle wants oodles of attacking players and that's how he's going to approach the season. But he doesn't seem that bothered about defending. It's okay to concede 2 if you can score 3 but I think there will be many times this season where we get ripped apart on the counter, and I think we're gonna concede a lot of soft, unnecessary and costly goals. Stand by for Fabianski being HOTY again. He's gonna be busy.

Specifically worries about RB and LB positions. Zab is great, but the legs are slowing. Fredericks, great going forward but I'm still not convinced. Cresswell, great interchange followed by some useful crosses - we need him to stay fit. Masuaku, ditto Fredericks but with a little bit more trickery. I think we get exposed too much. Yes, we have cover of sorts but these are the positions that need strengthening the most I think.

We're now linked with an 18 yr old Portugese centre back for £3m. Would rather be focused on LB or RB as we have Diop, Balbuena, Og, Reid and Rice can play there too.

If we've got money left, I'd rather we didn't buy another striker or attacking midfielder. Our exisiting midfielders will score their fair share I think to add to Haller/Hernandez. We'll probably see a fair few from Antonio and Lanzini.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's gonna be exciting and I can't wait for it to start and I'd much rather have Pelle's approach than that of Moyes or Allardyce. Any day of the week. I'd rather draw 3-3 than 0-0.

I just wonder how many times this season at 90 mins I'll be thinking that if we had better LB/RB cover we might have won that game we've just drawn.

This is the longest post I've ever made on Hammerschat, I won't make a habit of it. So relax.

Hildreth_1101

Re: My slight, niggling, concern about Pellegrini

Post by Hildreth_1101 »

I mean potentially but also sometimes coaches only have so much money so they have to make decisions on what players to buy in which positions and positions they already have, they can decide perhaps they can actually coach a player to improve - I mean that is kind of part of a coaches role, to improve players as well as set the team up to win - I think with some of the names mentioned, he might be hoping they improve - If not he can look in the market next season.

Not like a Man City when it was clear their Full Backs needed improving Guardiola can spend 150m on three new ones.

Neville Bartos

Post by Neville Bartos »

I think Hildreth is right. We either get two top quality players, or half a dozen punts and so-so players.
If Pelle feels the need to improve fullbacks it looks like that'll be next summer.
I guess he looked at the squad and thought striker and a new number 10 were a much higher priority.

Can't say I disagree with his approach. I'll take an exciting attacking team with a dodgy defence over allround mediocrity all day long.
Communism deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society; all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labour of others by means of such appropriations.

SoggyOggy

Post by SoggyOggy »

I agree, none of our fullbacks fill me with confidence. Numerous times last season we conceded due to mistakes defending from wide positions. The jury is still out on fredricks, zaba has lost all his legs, masuaku and Cresswell are both terrible defensively. We need a LB or my shout is to give Snoddy a go at LB. We should've tried it out from preseason. I think he has the attributes to be converted to a good fullback. He can cross, he works hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in. If he could be taught how to play an offside trap and learn to read opposition attacks and defensive positioning it could be quite the trick.

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

SoggyOggy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:33 am I agree, none of our fullbacks fill me with confidence. Numerous times last season we conceded due to mistakes defending from wide positions. The jury is still out on fredricks, zaba has lost all his legs, masuaku and Cresswell are both terrible defensively. We need a LB or my shout is to give Snoddy a go at LB. We should've tried it out from preseason. I think he has the attributes to be converted to a good fullback. He can cross, he works hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in. If he could be taught how to play an offside trap and learn to read opposition attacks and defensive positioning it could be quite the trick.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He can't tackle, his idea of a tackle is to run in to his opponent, and 9 times out of 10 gives away a free kick.
So for me i would give that a miss.

IronsForever

Post by IronsForever »

Pellegrini wont change his system or pattern of play to address the weakness in the side which is good. He will show the Twins where we need players next season and hopefully we will be a solid unit both in attacking and defending. We deffo need another striker because Chico is slowing at his age and will probably leave on a freebie. They wont extend his contract seeing as he is on 140 a week. If fredericks dont go bombing forward too often he should have no trouble with his speed in seeing off any threat down that flank. The issue is when they double up on him and he has either Yarmelenko or Diangrana as cover. Both are not much help.
Come On You Irons!!!!!!!!!!

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 »

One thing is Ben Johnson coming through might potentially get a good chance in the team - Though he has potential, seems to need some more match time for general improving decision making.

thomasswe

Post by thomasswe »

andyginbrasil wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:47 am
SoggyOggy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:33 am I agree, none of our fullbacks fill me with confidence. Numerous times last season we conceded due to mistakes defending from wide positions. The jury is still out on fredricks, zaba has lost all his legs, masuaku and Cresswell are both terrible defensively. We need a LB or my shout is to give Snoddy a go at LB. We should've tried it out from preseason. I think he has the attributes to be converted to a good fullback. He can cross, he works hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in. If he could be taught how to play an offside trap and learn to read opposition attacks and defensive positioning it could be quite the trick.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He can't tackle, his idea of a tackle is to run in to his opponent, and 9 times out of 10 gives away a free kick.
So for me i would give that a miss.
This unfortunately, snod is a little bit like Noble from 3+ years ago when it comes to gining away free kicks due to bad times tackles, compared to Diops and Rices tackling techiniques

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Seems a stubborn cunt for not addressing our piss poor full back issues, it will bite him on the arse.

Flairon

Post by Flairon »

I agree that we are going to be an exciting team to watch, but a team that may just concede more than it scores in certain games.

I agree with much that has been written about our fullbacks, but suspect that Ben Johnson is be groomed as the right back for the future.

I actually like the idea of acquiring a young talented centre half and do feel it is important that we secure a 3rd striker. In truth, I would like to see 4 in the squad.

At the end of the day,this season is going to be one hell of a roller coaster of a ride. :D whufc_crest
Flairon