West Ham vs Man City Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: West Ham vs Man City Official Match Thread

Post by h69 »

dagenhamdave wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Same every season mate...Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, City in last 4 seasons first games and City are by far the best team ever in the PL and have strengthened considerably.

Also after the Allardyce/Moyes eras where everyone said they didn't expect us to win each week but would rather we scored lots even if we concede lots, that is likely the outcome this season outside of City and maybe Liverpool though some of those people seem to have forgotten this attitude.

That said, we started slowly last season but we got a lot better. This season I don't have too many concerns. I am sure there will be lots of goals at both ends and we will likely finish in the top 10. I am not sure what else people want other than maybe a cup run and we can see who we get tonight in the first one !
You people are not reading my posts, it is not about one game, it is the whole of last season, pre-season and the start of this season.
We had defensive and midfield problems for most of last season, yet through TWO transfer windows Jan/Summer nothing has been done, apart from give Arthur a 4 year extension, and Zab a 1 year extension, and got shot of Adrian, and bring in another technician Fornals. This is my complaint, not sure about others.
Apart from a new striker, we are virtually stuck with same team that lets in goals for fun?
I get that....my point is that many were saying they would be happy with that when we had Allardyce/Moyes. Its called entertainment innit. High scoring games.....the West Ham way

And yes, apart from a new striker and a technical midfielder we are. I would like to see a box to box midfield player but I can see though why the main money was spent on a couple of strikers rather than a second defensive midfielder to play along with or backup to Rice as we had only Chicharito and I think we would have been happy to let him go also.
Fornals I think was too good an opportunity to turn down given his age and potential and the fact he happened to come available.

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm
dagenhamdave wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:31 pm

You people are not reading my posts, it is not about one game, it is the whole of last season, pre-season and the start of this season.
We had defensive and midfield problems for most of last season, yet through TWO transfer windows Jan/Summer nothing has been done, apart from give Arthur a 4 year extension, and Zab a 1 year extension, and got shot of Adrian, and bring in another technician Fornals. This is my complaint, not sure about others.
Apart from a new striker, we are virtually stuck with same team that lets in goals for fun?
I get that....my point is that many were saying they would be happy with that when we had Allardyce/Moyes. Its called entertainment innit. High scoring games.....the West Ham way

And yes, apart from a new striker and a technical midfielder we are. I would like to see a box to box midfield player but I can see though why the main money was spent on a couple of strikers rather than a second defensive midfielder to play along with or backup to Rice as we had only Chicharito and I think we would have been happy to let him go also.
Fornals I think was too good an opportunity to turn down given his age and potential and the fact he happened to come available.
Lets hope Fornals turns out better, because as I see it, not ONE outfield player that MP has brought in has set the World alight in my eyes, only Fab for the wrong reasons has been a star last season.

h69

Post by h69 »

dagenhamdave wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Lets hope Fornals turns out better, because as I see it, not ONE outfield player that MP has brought in has set the World alight in my eyes, only Fab for the wrong reasons has been a star last season.
I think Balbuena has been a decent signing and I think that Diop has been good and will get better given his age. Fab has been an inspiration though.

What I said on the other thread though I do believe in...

Last season there were also quite a few games where we dominated the game and didn't win because we did not have a clinical firepower to deliver the goals.

I think to Leicester x 2, Brighton away, Liverpool at Home, Chelsea at home, Man United away, Huddersfield away. As many if not more games than where we were overrun in MF. I am guessing Pellegrini had to choose between fixing one or the other for now and chose the attacking option because he was forced to with the lack of strikers we ended up with.

I would like to see most of our dough spent on a box to box midfield player next summer though.