Do we have too many technicians?

Chat about anything football related here!
4ever-blowin-bubbles

Re: Do we have too many technicians?

Post by 4ever-blowin-bubbles »

you can never have enough technicians but not all playing at the same time and having no players who can tackle put there foot in and break up there play

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

4ever-blowin-bubbles wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm you can never have enough technicians but not all playing at the same time and having no players who can tackle put there foot in and break up there play
Which makes me wonder if Pellegrini thinks that’s what Rice should be doing and if so begs the question

Is he ? Should he be ?
Bring back Jonathon !

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am
4ever-blowin-bubbles wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 pm you can never have enough technicians but not all playing at the same time and having no players who can tackle put there foot in and break up there play
Which makes me wonder if Pellegrini thinks that’s what Rice should be doing and if so begs the question

Is he ? Should he be ?
He is and should be and against the lower teams it would be enough but against teams like City you need two of them or at least a box to box powerful midfield player to go with them and we dont have that.

Last season there were also quite a few games where we dominated the game and didnt win because we did not have a clinical firepower to deliver the goals.

I think to Leicester x 2, Brighton away, Liverpool at Home, Chelsea at home, Man United away, Huddersfield away. As many if not more games than where we were overrun in MF. I am guessing Pellegrini had to choose between fixing one or the other for now and chose the attacking option because he was forced to with the lack of strikers we ended up with.

I would like to see most of our dough spent on a box to box midfield player next summer though.

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:43 pm
Newmarket wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am

Is he ? Should he be ?
He is and should be and against the lower teams it would be enough but against teams like City you need two of them or at least a box to box powerful midfield player to go with them and we dont have that.

Last season there were also quite a few games where we dominated the game and didnt win because we did not have a clinical firepower to deliver the goals.

I think to Leicester x 2, Brighton away, Liverpool at Home, Chelsea at home, Man United away, Huddersfield away. As many if not more games than where we were overrun in MF. I am guessing Pellegrini had to choose between fixing one or the other for now and chose the attacking option because he was forced to with the lack of strikers we ended up with.

I would like to see most of our dough spent on a box to box midfield player next summer though.
Next summer ffs!
#fuckqatar2022

h69

Post by h69 »

Hammertime wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:21 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Next summer ffs!
Yes. We could have bought a stopgap this season (only if we could have unloaded a foreign player though as we are at the max) for a couple of million but I prefer to wait until we can get someone of quality. Seems each season we spend big on one position.

I personally think it is preferable to buying substandard players and covering all positions. January is always a waste of time unless you are getting relegated or have serious injury issues so it means next season. Same way we had to wait until this season to get an out and out quality striker while we concentrated on CB and the wings last summer.

Hammertime

Post by Hammertime »

h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Hammertime wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Next summer ffs!
Yes. We could have bought a stopgap this season (only if we could have unloaded a foreign player though as we are at the max) for a couple of million but I prefer to wait until we can get someone of quality. Seems each season we spend big on one position.

I personally think it is preferable to buying substandard players and covering all positions. January is always a waste of time unless you are getting relegated or have serious injury issues so it means next season. Same way we had to wait until this season to get an out and out quality striker while we concentrated on CB and the wings last summer.
Well you seem to share the clubs sense of urgency to address this glaring imbalance in our midfield. We signed Ajeti when we should’ve been looking at a CM. We now have an abundance of strikers and attacking mids & no one to sit next to Rice & produce the same industry. Seeing as we failed to do this, I would suggest prioritizing this move at every window & if we’re looking to free up a foreign player spot & some cash, there’s a certain Mexican looking for more starts elsewhere.
#fuckqatar2022

h69

Post by h69 »

Hammertime wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Well you seem to share the clubs sense of urgency to address this glaring imbalance in our midfield. We signed Ajeti when we should’ve been looking at a CM. We now have an abundance of strikers and attacking mids & no one to sit next to Rice & produce the same industry. Seeing as we failed to do this, I would suggest prioritizing this move at every window & if we’re looking to free up a foreign player spot & some cash, there’s a certain Mexican looking for more starts elsewhere.
Nothing to do with urgency, more to do with priorities

Thats just it. We signed one striker for 45m, and then Ajeti. As I mentioned, we tried to offload Hernandez but for now we have the three of them as no one came up with a viable wage deal for the pea.

Ajeti was a backup.....8m. Do I want us to sign a Box to box midfield player to play alongside Rice, yes. Do I want it to be an 8m backup/stopgap, no. I expect us to pay more than 30m for one. We seem to concentrate on a different position each season.

I want us to spend big on that position and unfortunately this summer, the majority of the money had to be spent on a striker because we had only one.

From a priority point of view. I think not having the b2b MF will cause us problems mainly in the big games against top 6 clubs but not having firepower cost us against the mid table and lower teams last season so its swings and roundabouts.

I like this current strategy. If you look at the difference between now and 5 years ago (opening day).....slow progress but not only better quality but also younger players.