Fornals

Chat about anything football related here!
grandad

Fornals

Post by grandad »

Not seen much of him but a keen eye who goes all the games home and away said to me

We have been sold a pup.

Thoughts ?
Once you take the devils shilling its no going back !!!!!!

h69

Re: Fornals

Post by h69 »

My thoughts are that as fans many are doing what they normally do. Expecting a young foreign player with a sizeable price tag to suddenly become Messi in his first 5 or 6 games and when he doesn't, start getting on his back and create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Even Fredericks has taken a season to look anywhere near comfortable after moving from Fulham....let alone players moving from abroad. The PL takes time to get used to for many players.

Fornals needs some time to get used to the PL but technically very good and will get better. Decent signing in my opinion and has been no worse than Lanzini.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

As I said on another thread judge him in 6 months. He had an excellent Under 21 tournament in the summer and imo will prove to be a bargain at the price we paid.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Mancunian Hammer

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

He was highly rated at Villareal and a lot of people in Spain thought this was a steal. I haven't been impressed so far, he looks slow and ponderous in possession and wants too much time on the ball, doesn't look up to the speed of the English game. Definitely has a lot of technical ability but not sure he will be getting stuck in on a wet windy day at Turf Moor. Still time for him to change my mind however,, he's only 23. Will have to be competitive and get up to the speed of the premier league. He will need time to settle in and I think he will get it. Not as good as Lanzini in my opinion

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Mancunian Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm He was highly rated at Villareal and a lot of people in Spain thought this was a steal. I haven't been impressed so far, he looks slow and ponderous in possession and wants too much time on the ball, doesn't look up to the speed of the English game. Definitely has a lot of technical ability but not sure he will be getting stuck in on a wet windy day at Turf Moor. Still time for him to change my mind however,, he's only 23. Will have to be competitive and get up to the speed of the premier league. He will need time to settle in and I think he will get it. Not as good as Lanzini in my opinion
Imo all this "getting stuck in" stuff is bollocks. Every team has it's grafters and it's more skilful elements. David Silva and to a large degree Kevin deBruyne don't get stuck in for Man City. Roberto Firmino doesn't go flying in for tackles at Anfield. Fernandinho, Gundogan, Henderson, Milner & Co do the dirty work.

Burnley, Sheffield United & Crystal Palace are sides who have 11 grafters. I know who I'd rather watch week in and week out.

Mancunian Hammer

Post by Mancunian Hammer »

I disagree, De Bruyne and Silva despite being considered cultured players do get stuck in an work incredibly hard as I think all midfielders particularly central midfielders have to, as we have shown as much as any team if you can't compete with work rate and physicality then you will end up losing a fair few football matches despite having seemingly superior players (Burnley away last season or pretty much most games against Brighton prime examples). Its not a case of either having players who get stuck in and graft but are donkeys with limited technical ability or players with wonderful technical ability who just stroll around and bottle it from tackles. The players you mention are the players who do both and that's why their respective sides do so well.

If we want to compete in the upper third of the table. I want all our players to get stuck in and compete, in fact that's the very least I expect.You don't need to be Burnley, Sheffield United or Crystal Palace to win battles.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Mancunian Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm I disagree, De Bruyne and Silva despite being considered cultured players do get stuck in an work incredibly hard as I think all midfielders particularly central midfielders have to, as we have shown as much as any team if you can't compete with work rate and physicality then you will end up losing a fair few football matches despite having seemingly superior players (Burnley away last season or pretty much most games against Brighton prime examples). Its not a case of either having players who get stuck in and graft but are donkeys with limited technical ability or players with wonderful technical ability who just stroll around and bottle it from tackles. The players you mention are the players who do both and that's why their respective sides do so well.

If we want to compete in the upper third of the table. I want all our players to get stuck in and compete, in fact that's the very least I expect.You don't need to be Burnley, Sheffield United or Crystal Palace to win battles.
If I misunderstood your meaning of getting stuck in I apologise. I interpreted it as meaning flying in for tackles.

Working hard should be a pre requisite for any professional footballer and whilst I don't expect to, or for that matter want to, see Fornals diving in for tackles and getting an excessive number of yellow cards, a la Paul Scholes, for doing so I don't think we'll have any complaints about his workrate.

Hildreth_1101

Post by Hildreth_1101 »

If Fornals had been here for 1 year I'd tend to agree but the guy hasn't had much starts / been able to get into our team much in a season we have had lot of our best attacking options fit (for once) and still is young, moved to England, been here for 3 months.

Young players are young for a reason, it's up to the team and coach to improve players and for the individual to have the right mentality, committment and determination to get into the team and perform.

Ridiculously early to judge Fornals.

Taansend

Post by Taansend »

I think he's going you be a quality player for us once he gets used to the league.

Sometimes does the pass when he should shoot but that seems to be the whole team at the moment

h69

Post by h69 »

Mancunian Hammer wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:36 pm He was highly rated at Villareal and a lot of people in Spain thought this was a steal. I haven't been impressed so far, he looks slow and ponderous in possession and wants too much time on the ball, doesn't look up to the speed of the English game. Definitely has a lot of technical ability but not sure he will be getting stuck in on a wet windy day at Turf Moor. Still time for him to change my mind however,, he's only 23. Will have to be competitive and get up to the speed of the premier league. He will need time to settle in and I think he will get it. Not as good as Lanzini in my opinion
Far too early to expect him to be up to speed. I suspect it will be next season we see the best of him.

As for getting stuck in, no need if Declan plays alongside him. Does like to play the through ball whereas Lanzini (mostly unsuccessfully at present likes to run with the ball). I think Fornals offers something different as we have a few players that like to run with the ball but only Fornals and Noble (and Wilshere who I dont think will be here next season) who like to pick a pass