WHU players going to Spurs

Chat about anything football related here!
ToneLoc

Re: WHU players going to Spurs

Post by ToneLoc »

FatPigIron wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 pm
ToneLoc wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:08 pm
Was he hated?
Not sure I remember that tbh.
Well, I'm not responsible for your memory! He was vilified. It was nasty:

He was with us 4 years, and got Hammer of the Year for 3 of them. If ever any player tried to keep us up, it was him, winning Journalist Player of the Year; unprecedented in for a player in a relegated team.

Yet, when he returned in a Spurs shirt he was profoundly boo-ed. I was there. Parker was really upset afterwards as reported in the Daily Mail (I think).

I think there is still a lot of hatred to this day.
I don't know. You may be right.
I like the bloke. I did then and I do know. In fact I wouldn't mind him as our manager tbh.
Pretty much most of my WHU mates all seem to have nothing but good things to say about him too.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

ToneLoc wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:37 pm
FatPigIron wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 pm Well, I'm not responsible for your memory! He was vilified. It was nasty:

He was with us 4 years, and got Hammer of the Year for 3 of them. If ever any player tried to keep us up, it was him, winning Journalist Player of the Year; unprecedented in for a player in a relegated team.

Yet, when he returned in a Spurs shirt he was profoundly boo-ed. I was there. Parker was really upset afterwards as reported in the Daily Mail (I think).

I like the bloke. I did then and I do know. In fact I wouldn't mind him as our manager tbh.
Pretty much most of my WHU mates all seem to have nothing but good things to say about him too.
ToneLoc wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:37 pm
FatPigIron wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:29 pm

Well, I'm not responsible for your memory! He was vilified. It was nasty:

Well, that is really good news. Me too. I absolutely loved Parker and still do, which is why I was gobsmacked and deeply disgusted at his treatment.

I noticed at Mark Noble's testimonial, fans weren't exactly warm towards him, and I think the same for the celebrations after the last ever game at UP....but maybe he wasn't even there...can't remember now.

What I will say, is that he DID get a good cheer when he returned playing for Fulham at UP. But that was probably not the haters who for once, they kept their nasty gobs shut....

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:14 pm
FatPigIron wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Deflection!

I repeat: Why was Parker boo-ed so forcefully in comparison to Carrick wasn't even boo-ed at all that I can remember? Maybe you don't know?
Deflection. :lol:
Maybe I couldn’t give a fuck.
Last edited by FatPigIron on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

Towie wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:13 pm
FatPigIron wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 pm

You might have hated the lot of them, but don't you think there was a vast difference between how Parker and Carrick were treated? I don't remember Carrick ever getting boo-ed..... With Parker it was really venomous... So why the difference?
Because Carrick stayed when we went down, he gave us a season. Parker asked to leave big difference.

And Zamora was a West Ham boy.
So Carrick had all his future ahead of him, whereas Parker was in the twilight of his career.

Had Parker not been toiling with a clogging bunch of losers (as defined by the fact we were relegated - the league doesn't lie), maybe that prat Cappello, might have taken him to the World Cup....and what with Gerrard and Lampard being almost identical in their play, I'm totally convinced Parker would have offered something different, and made a huge difference.

After all, that is exactly what happened with Trevor Sinclair. He only just sneaked into the WC squad, and turned out to be one of the revelations of the team....so why not Parker?

So he's seen his England aspirations smashed. And seen his team relegated despite his huge efforts, as demonstrated by the Journalists making him their Player of the Year. (This had never happened to a player in a relegated team)

No ordinary player wins Hammer of the Year 3 times in the 4 years he was with us. That is a player who gives his all.

So, in going to Spurs, not only would he stay in the Prem, (which after all his efforts and achievements he had every right to in the end of his career IMO), but also have the chance to play alongside his favourite player, Modric, AND play in the Champions League! How could any player turn THAT down?

Whereas, what did WHU have to offer? The delights of slugging it out in the Championship, with no guarantee of returning....Parker no longer had the luxury of years of football ahead of him. No wonder he left!

Frankly, ANYONE who could resent that, as far as I'm concerned, is churlish and mean-spirited in the EXTREME.

That you, is it?
Last edited by FatPigIron on Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

terrya1965 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:42 pm
Because Carrick stayed when we went down, he gave us a season. Parker asked to leave big difference.

Exactly..Spot on...Was just going to say the same thing.
So Carrick had all his future ahead of him, whereas Parker was in the twilight of his career.

Had Parker not been toiling with a clogging bunch of losers (as defined by the fact we were relegated - the league doesn't lie), maybe that prat Cappello, might have taken him to the World Cup....and what with Gerrard and Lampard being almost identical in their play, I'm totally convinced Parker would have offered something different, and made a huge difference.

After all, that is exactly what happened with Trevor Sinclair. He only just sneaked into the WC squad, and turned out to be one of the revelations of the team....so why not Parker?

So he's seen his England aspirations smashed. And seen his team relegated despite his huge efforts, as demonstrated by the Journalists making him their Player of the Year. (This had never happened to a player in a relegated team)

No ordinary player wins Hammer of the Year 3 times in the 4 years he was with us. That is a player who gives his all.

So, in going to Spurs, not only would he stay in the Prem, (which after all his efforts and achievements he had every right to in the end of his career IMO), but also have the chance to play alongside his favourite player, Modric, AND play in the Champions League! How could any player turn THAT down?

Whereas, what did WHU have to offer? The delights of slugging it out in the Championship, with no guarantee of returning....Parker no longer had the luxury of years of football ahead of him. No wonder he left!

Frankly, ANYONE who could resent that, as far as I'm concerned, is churlish and mean-spirited in the EXTREME.

That you, is it?

Post by 9898 »

Supporters need to realise it is just a job for players. Bigger teams come in for player and they will want to leave. Simple.
I have no negativity towards Carrick, Defoe, Parker etc as they done well for us and then decided to move when a better opportunity came along.
People need to judge players on what they did on the pitch for us.
"Mum. I've wet the bed again."

mkhammer

Post by mkhammer »

It's a pisser when a fav player moves on...but you would have to have a huge affinity with the club,
not to ever want to leave for career,money,...or for the hell of it,just wanting to play somewhere else,
enjoy the game,play with some players you always wanted to....
Love West Ham to bits...but no way in the world would I spend my whole career here,so never blame
a player for moving on...and never do the booing shit when they come back..
Never booed Ince or Defoe,Lampard.......Rio..

Scotty Parker is well loved and respected here....but you'll always get a few with the booing crap,
Love to see him come back as boss one day,think most of us would,played way more games
for us then he did ..THEM..... :lol:

When Carrick was here,he made no secret of the fact he wanted to play for Newcastle,said he saw
himself playing for them one day...every player would have a boyhood club they wanna play for.

We also shouldn't forget Sir Bob wanted out for Spuds....mainly for Money...Greenwood wouldn't
let him go.
Unfortunately ...Money,family,career, come before ...club loyalty..

Like to think I wouldn't go to Spuds...but if the situation fell that it made sense...prob would..
But would hold back on the Knee Slide if I scored against us..... :lol:

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:15 am

That you, is it?
Absolutely spot on,great evaluation and analysis. What I thought his game lacked was pace. What I would characterise as an absence of urgency. It's only a small deficit,but is sufficient to keep him in the category of very good player but not elevate him into the bracket of great/elite.

That said,I've just watch Geo interview Matthew Ethrington and Ryan WHFTV interview Lee Hodges and I would not place either player into the very good category...I should have kept that to myself but no point beating around the bush if you could be dead by the end of the year...

Towie

Post by Towie »

FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 am
terrya1965 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Exactly..Spot on...Was just going to say the same thing.

That you, is it?
Fuck me, you still wank over his pictures on the wall?

Yes good player for us.
Am I going to idolise him forever, am I fuck! Far better players than him have left us.

I answered your question you muppet for the reason Parker was booed and Carrick fondly remembered. Doesn’t mean I was one of those booing.

Jesus you need to calm your skin man.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

FatPigIron

Post by FatPigIron »

Towie wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 am
FatPigIron wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:30 am

That you, is it?
Fuck me, you still wank over his pictures on the wall?

Yes good player for us.
Am I going to idolise him forever, am I fuck! Far better players than him have left us.

I answered your question you muppet for the reason Parker was booed and Carrick fondly remembered. Doesn’t mean I was one of those booing.

Jesus you need to calm your skin man.
Well that hit a nerve! Me calm down? You're the only one losing his rag here....

And that therefore simply begs the question why would you lose your rag if you weren't one of those booing him.... or don't resent him (which isn't quite the same thing)?