Tottenham vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: Tottenham vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by terrya1965 »

Neville Bartos wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:22 am

I don't doubt there are young competent coaches around. What I'm saying is that they wouldn't come to work at West Ham. Huddersfield, and , for example Norwich, are different beasts. Expectations are much lower, both from their own fan bases and the football world at large. When David Wagner went to Huddersfield he was EXPECTED to be relegated.. As was Daniel Farke at Norwich. Wagner actually kept them up in his first season and, although he's currently struggling at Schalke, his reputation flourished. Imo, although Norwich look nailed on to gp down, Farke will pick up a decent gig soon because of his style of football, added of course to his promotion, against all the odds, last season.

A manager coming to West Ham would be under far greater pressure because the expectations would be greater. And that expectation would be from both the media and the fan base..

Julian Nagelsmann's two assistants at Lepzig are Robert Klauss and Moritz Volz btw. ;) Volz has actually played in England (Arsenal, Wimbledon,Fulham & Ipswich) but I doubt if the dwarf knows anything about him. In fact I have convinced myself that our next managerial appointment will see the return of another serial failure who has managed us before.. A certain coach who has played for, and managed, Crystal Palace, and has successfully relegated Southampton and West Brom during his less than stellar managerial career. And he would also have had Den Haag to add to his repuatation as The Relegator had the Dutch F A not declared their season void. I've got a nagging feeling the cunt was also in charge during one of Charlton's relegation season but I,m not 100% about that.
Are expectation higher for us at this point though?
Surely by now most of us understand that we don't do progress, and we don't do long term.
Yes, we have the odd halfway decent season, but those are always followed by laurel resting and disappointment.
The rotten core of incompetence at the heart of the club has been discussed to death.
So, for me, given restrictions and handicaps of having our managers job better suits a young hands on coach. Someone who is more used to working with players than transfers or team building. Because we can't seem to do those.
Someone like Potter at Brighton fits the bill.

Whiskyman

Re: Tottenham vs West Ham Official Match Thread

Post by Whiskyman »

Neville Bartos wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:22 am

I don't doubt there are young competent coaches around. What I'm saying is that they wouldn't come to work at West Ham. Huddersfield, and , for example Norwich, are different beasts. Expectations are much lower, both from their own fan bases and the football world at large. When David Wagner went to Huddersfield he was EXPECTED to be relegated.. As was Daniel Farke at Norwich. Wagner actually kept them up in his first season and, although he's currently struggling at Schalke, his reputation flourished. Imo, although Norwich look nailed on to gp down, Farke will pick up a decent gig soon because of his style of football, added of course to his promotion, against all the odds, last season.

A manager coming to West Ham would be under far greater pressure because the expectations would be greater. And that expectation would be from both the media and the fan base..

Julian Nagelsmann's two assistants at Lepzig are Robert Klauss and Moritz Volz btw. ;) Volz has actually played in England (Arsenal, Wimbledon,Fulham & Ipswich) but I doubt if the dwarf knows anything about him. In fact I have convinced myself that our next managerial appointment will see the return of another serial failure who has managed us before.. A certain coach who has played for, and managed, Crystal Palace, and has successfully relegated Southampton and West Brom during his less than stellar managerial career. And he would also have had Den Haag to add to his repuatation as The Relegator had the Dutch F A not declared their season void. I've got a nagging feeling the cunt was also in charge during one of Charlton's relegation season but I,m not 100% about that.
Are expectation higher for us at this point though?
Surely by now most of us understand that we don't do progress, and we don't do long term.
Yes, we have the odd halfway decent season, but those are always followed by laurel resting and disappointment.
The rotten core of incompetence at the heart of the club has been discussed to death.
So, for me, given restrictions and handicaps of having our managers job better suits a young hands on coach. Someone who is more used to working with players than transfers or team building. Because we can't seem to do those.
We've never been noted for ambition. But not surprising if you really start to dig down. We Brits seem to have a resentment of people who are successful. We build them up, put them on a pedestal, and then try to knock them off it.

And we probably have the same ethos about our football clubs. FFS there are a hell of a lot of people who revel in the fact that West Ham are "a working class club", whatever the fuck that is. And before the cloth caps and hobnails start getting all sniffy of course I know the fucking history. But the club was founded in the 19th century FFS. 125 years ago. Things have changed. But a lot of people, in the 21st century, still seem to revel in West Ham's image as a scruffy little urchin, occasionally giving one of the big boys a bloody nose. With that sort of mentality is it any surprise that ambition has not been high on the agenda of any of our owners, not just the present pair of useless tit wigglers.

For what it's worth I define the traditional idea of "the working class" mentality as the coal miner, fresh from his stint hacking coal up from his session underground moaning that if the pit gets shut his kids won't have a job to go to. Ask yourself, would you want your kids to spend their working life underground, breathing in coal dust for 40 odd years. Or would you hope they would go on and achieve something better for themselves.

West Ham's ideal manager. A fucking Arthur Scargill clone. :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?