Breakaway super League

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: Breakaway super League

Post by Whiskyman »

ToneLoc wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:01 pm
JayK wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 am Update on the remaining 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58714235
It'll happen eventually..... ESL's lawyers arguing against UEFA's market monopoly, which does have legal grounding from what I understand.
It'll end up like boxing with umpteen "European champions" each season.
Tbh I don't think a closed shop, as originally intended, would appeal to the majority of fans. The jeopardy of relegation, at least in the English league, has, in most recent seasons, been the big interest as the season draws to a close. Occasionally we've had a neck and neck race for the Champions finishing line but usually it's the bottom end that has the attention at the business end of the season.

Without the threat of relegation who would pay to watch Barcelona and A C Milan battle it out for 9th place ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

ToneLoc

Re: Breakaway super League

Post by ToneLoc »

Whiskyman wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:29 pm
ToneLoc wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:01 pm
It'll happen eventually..... ESL's lawyers arguing against UEFA's market monopoly, which does have legal grounding from what I understand.
It'll end up like boxing with umpteen "European champions" each season.
Tbh I don't think a closed shop, as originally intended, would appeal to the majority of fans. The jeopardy of relegation, at least in the English league, has, in most recent seasons, been the big interest as the season draws to a close. Occasionally we've had a neck and neck race for the Champions finishing line but usually it's the bottom end that has the attention at the business end of the season.

Without the threat of relegation who would pay to watch Barcelona and A C Milan battle it out for 9th place ?
I don't think so either.
If it does it may be for 3-4 seasons tops but the novelty will soon wear off.
As you say, the relegation scraps toward the end of each season are often more compelling than the battle for the title and CL spots.
Essentially they'll only have half the product on offer.
Fancy calling your only son "Barnestoneworth"
He's got another name....
Yeah....."United"