As the dust settles

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

As the dust settles

Post by palerider »

As we look back on a strange but unexpectedly good season, tinged with a bit of disappointment at the end of course, it's the antics of our glorious owner, peace be upon him, that will define the next chapter. Not the Baggies or the Saints. Because imo the highest we can finish is 7th. And I don't want to be at that concert anyway. It'll be like buying tickets for U2 and seeing Joe Dolce.

Fans back....hopefully. Unless Boris decides to invite the entire population of Delhi in to smooth a trade deal. And we know what the ILS is like when things are going tits up.

The Messiah may leave. He may think his stock has risen so high that he doesn't fancy jellied eels any more, preferring a heroin supper in the green bit of Glasgow. But he's done his bit for which we should thank him.

The playing side however needs a revamp. My own thoughts but Jesse won't sign. He may be a part of a Sancho deal to United although I can see him at Leicester who, as we saw yesterday, have a proper owner, not a Del Boy sort of runt who'd sell his Mum for a quick profit. Which leads me to young Declan.

There are two things that are certain Benjamin Franklin wrote. Death and Taxes. The dwarf has his own version. Death and excuses.

He'll blame covid. He'll blame FFP (although it no longer exists). He'll blame agents. He'll even blame Brexit. But he won't blame himself for a lack of investment and improving on this season. The only way a squad under Bugsy or whoever could be assembled to be top 7 again any time soon would be for Rice to be sold AND all of the proceeds together with the paltry amount the little cunt had earmarked into achieving it. And it's a hell of a risk anyway because Rice is a hell of a player. And tbh he deserves to play for a team with ambition.

We need about 8 players. A keeper. A centre-back, probably two as Dawson is in reality a back-up as well as he's performed. A left back. A replacement for Rice. An attacking midfielder of real quality and two forwards.

But don't wait up on deadline day.

Whiskyman

Re: As the dust settles

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 am As we look back on a strange but unexpectedly good season, tinged with a bit of disappointment at the end of course, it's the antics of our glorious owner, peace be upon him, that will define the next chapter. Not the Baggies or the Saints. Because imo the highest we can finish is 7th. And I don't want to be at that concert anyway. It'll be like buying tickets for U2 and seeing Joe Dolce.

Fans back....hopefully. Unless Boris decides to invite the entire population of Delhi in to smooth a trade deal. And we know what the ILS is like when things are going tits up.

The Messiah may leave. He may think his stock has risen so high that he doesn't fancy jellied eels any more, preferring a heroin supper in the green bit of Glasgow. But he's done his bit for which we should thank him.

The playing side however needs a revamp. My own thoughts but Jesse won't sign. He may be a part of a Sancho deal to United although I can see him at Leicester who, as we saw yesterday, have a proper owner, not a Del Boy sort of runt who'd sell his Mum for a quick profit. Which leads me to young Declan.

There are two things that are certain Benjamin Franklin wrote. Death and Taxes. The dwarf has his own version. Death and excuses.

He'll blame covid. He'll blame FFP (although it no longer exists). He'll blame agents. He'll even blame Brexit. But he won't blame himself for a lack of investment and improving on this season. The only way a squad under Bugsy or whoever could be assembled to be top 7 again any time soon would be for Rice to be sold AND all of the proceeds together with the paltry amount the little cunt had earmarked into achieving it. And it's a hell of a risk anyway because Rice is a hell of a player. And tbh he deserves to play for a team with ambition.

We need about 8 players. A keeper. A centre-back, probably two as Dawson is in reality a back-up as well as he's performed. A left back. A replacement for Rice. An attacking midfielder of real quality and two forwards.

We are not at the level where we can expect players, at least half decent ones, to come in as cover, You're probably right in your assessment that 8 players are needed but whereas a promising young player would be happy to settle for a place on the bench at The Etihad would he be prepared to do so at West Ham ? And buying 8 players who could slot immediately into the first team won't, as we all know, happen.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:35 am
palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:54 am As we look back on a strange but unexpectedly good season, tinged with a bit of disappointment at the end of course, it's the antics of our glorious owner, peace be upon him, that will define the next chapter. Not the Baggies or the Saints. Because imo the highest we can finish is 7th. And I don't want to be at that concert anyway. It'll be like buying tickets for U2 and seeing Joe Dolce.

We are not at the level where we can expect players, at least half decent ones, to come in as cover, You're probably right in your assessment that 8 players are needed but whereas a promising young player would be happy to settle for a place on the bench at The Etihad would he be prepared to do so at West Ham ? And buying 8 players who could slot immediately into the first team won't, as we all know, happen.
You’ve only got to look back at how the club prepared for our last Astra Goo Goo debacle to correctly predict what would have happened this time around.

At least we wouldn’t have had to play qualifiers in July but better one or 2 quality players than 8 freebie squad padder outers eh ?
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Of course. I was highlighting the need, not what I expect will happen.

I'm sure Lingard will go elsewhere and all summer there'll be rumours left, right and centre about who'll be signing, from Sam Johnstone to a return of the Serbian Sulk. And Declan Rice of course.

What will actually happen I suspect will be similar to being offered a chocolate but only the coffee creams are left.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:40 am

You’ve only got to look back at how the club prepared for our last Astra Goo Goo debacle to correctly predict what would have happened this time around.

At least we wouldn’t have had to play qualifiers in July but better one or 2 quality players than 8 freebie squad padder outers eh ?
Here's a game.

If the football genie turned up in your particular part of south Essex and offered you two players, serious targets, not M'Bappe. Who would you pick ? And Rice stays as well as a Brucie bonus.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 am
Newmarket wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:40 am

Here's a game.

If the football genie turned up in your particular part of south Essex and offered you two players, serious targets, not M'Bappe. Who would you pick ? And Rice stays as well as a Brucie bonus.
Jonothon Calleri and Sebastian Haller :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:50 am
palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 am

Here's a game.

Excellent choice :lol:

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:51 am
Newmarket wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:50 am

Lingard would be one. I didn’t voice my concerns, but deep down I thought that he’d be a bit too precious. Happy to say that I was way off the mark.

palerider

Post by palerider »

OZHAMMER wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 am
palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:51 am

Lingard would be one. I didn’t voice my concerns, but deep down I thought that he’d be a bit too precious. Happy to say that I was way off the mark.
There's an alleged bit of a problem that I'm not going to reveal that, if true, would mean the ILS would be the last place he'd go.

OZHAMMER

Post by OZHAMMER »

palerider wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am
OZHAMMER wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:53 am

There's an alleged bit of a problem that I'm not going to reveal that, if true, would mean the ILS would be the last place he'd go.
So you get my attention, then reveal nothing. You cunt!