Euro Squad decided

Chat about anything football related here!
Newmarket

Re: Euro Squad decided

Post by Newmarket »

Dwayne Pipes wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:11 pm What a drab clueless cunt that Southgate is.
Is the correct answer .
Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:55 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:41 am
Good point and nicely argued. However the journey from emerging talent to obvious talent is perhaps one of context. So Declan Rice - to use one example - went from emerging talent,first team regular,emerging internationl talent,almost international regular, in two seasons.

However his 'emerging' international phase coincided with his regular first team football phase at West Ham. So the journey from promising club player through to regular international will always involve the 'emerging' phase, between proving it for your club and then trying to prove it for your country.

So when people talk about England's emerging talent, they are really being polite towards a manager who clings to the past, while pretending to embrace the future.
But surely it can be argued that if a player has emerged, and in so doing proved himself capable of performing regularly in the self styled best league in the world, and as a first team regular for many clubs he will also have competed against the finest talent in Europe, he has, by definition, proved himself at a level higher than he is likely to experience at international level.

Do you not agree that, to use Chelsea's recent Champions League success as an example, the likes of Reece James, Mason Mount and to a lesser extent, Callum Hudson-Odoi, have already competed against far more stellar talents than they are likely to encounter in many international matches ?

And our own Declan has performed with distinction against both Champions League finalists, lining up against some of the best players in European football without looking at all out of place. International football covers a multitude of levels imo. Is thrashing around against Scotland, Finland, Wales or Hungary, to name just 4, more challenging than coming up against a rampant Manchester City or Liverpool at their peak ?

Granted there will be stiffer challenges than would be presented by the 4 countries I mentioned but can it not be argued the national champions of the major footballing leagues would mullah the international side of the country in which they play.

Chelsea or Manchester City v England ? I know who I'd back
Bayern Munich v Germany. No brainer
Atletico Madrid v Spain. Closer to call but Atletico would certainly be in with a shout.

And, yes, I know many of the Bayern team are also regulars with the German side but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.
Then we can stop using the phrase and use the correct description. Emerging Unused talent. Some managers place too much emphasis on what colour fabric shirt a player has worn and what the Daily Mail thinks.

I would pick the players and then devise the sytem to accommodate. Some managers pick the system first and then try and utilise from the available players. Of course when your Man City you can probably do either. Or even Chelsea.

If we take England (as it's topical) then most of the real talent is in the forward leaning areas with acknowledgement to the fullbacks who are excellent. However the flavour of the month seems to be Five at the back,double pivot, someone creative and Kane and Sterling.
And if one of the full-backs is Trent-Alexander then better for your media profile.

Now it is possible to progress deep into the tournament and even make a fist of winning it with this functional approach...but is it fun ?
and the more important question, is it realistic

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:35 pm TTA injured sooooo...

https://weallfollowunited.com/2021/06/0 ... the-euros/
Indeed. The choice would seem between Lingard and Ward-Prowse. Lingard was cruically influential in the setup for Englands goal.

I suspect Southgate will do what the Daily Mail tell him

JayK

Post by JayK »

Ben White chosen to replace TAA. Shocker
COYI!!!

Brookbonds73

Post by Brookbonds73 »

JayK wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am Ben White chosen to replace TAA. Shocker
I've heard of Barry White and snow White, but who the fuck is Ben White.

Come to think of it, have I had my dinner yet.
Love a cup of Rosey I do.

JayK

Post by JayK »

Brookbonds73 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am
JayK wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am Ben White chosen to replace TAA. Shocker

:lol:
Brighton player of the season CB apparently
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

JayK wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:50 am
Brookbonds73 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am

Who plays at right back A LOT :shock: :shock: :roll:
Bring back Jonathon !

JayK

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:52 am
JayK wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:50 am

Who plays at right back A LOT :shock: :shock: :roll:
Coz we def need 4 RB’s and 2 strikers
COYI!!!

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

At the risk of sounding like numbers - we will never go anywhere with this clueless idiot in charge.