Euro Squad decided

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: Euro Squad decided

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Sums it up really when your "A" list for the next national team manager contains 4 foreigners and only one Englishman. And his only qualification is having won a pub league title. Not saying your choice is wrong but don't you think it's a bit of an indictment of the lack of genuine English coaching talent ?
Isn’t Brenda an Ulsterman ?
He is and I think the Englishman mentioned in the quote was non other than Stevie Gee...but if your going that route, why not Frank Lamps...

and when you consider Gareth Southgate's actually in charge at the moment, it's way more credible.

So the FA should stand Southgate down Weds 08 June, haul Frank back from his hols - he can write the team on the plane back, Mount,Foden,Grealish,Kane. And meet and greet before the weekend and give it his best shot...

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Sums it up really when your "A" list for the next national team manager contains 4 foreigners and only one Englishman. And his only qualification is having won a pub league title. Not saying your choice is wrong but don't you think it's a bit of an indictment of the lack of genuine English coaching talent ?
Which means he isn't English, doesn't it ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 pm

Yeah apologies, I never saw BFF there :lol:
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:46 pm

Maybe you should take more water with it mate. The Englishman on his list was Gerrard. ;)

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:51 am
Newmarket wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:47 am

Maybe you should take more water with it mate. The Englishman on his list was Gerrard. ;)
It’s too early :roll:
Bring back Jonathon !

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:34 pm

Manager... hmmmm... If I were an FA bod having to make up a candidate list it'd be:

Poch, Zidane, Antonio Conte, Stevie G and Brendan Rodgers.

Since I'm not an FA bod, they'll have to come up with their own list which will be:

Graham Potter, Phillip Neville, Aidy Boothroyd, Sean Dyche and Scott Parker with a reserve list of Eddie Howe, Chris Hughton and Chris Wilder.
That was my point Whisky. Out of 8 English managers in the Premier League, 3 were relegated, the highest place finish was 11th and the average goal difference was -18. Not so much an indictment of the lack of English talent more an empirical fact I fear!
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:01 am

That was my point Whisky. Out of 8 English managers in the Premier League, 3 were relegated, the highest place finish was 11th and the average goal difference was -18. Not so much an indictment of the lack of English talent more an empirical fact I fear!
And you could add that in the majority, if not all, the cases they do tend to have the same approach towards grinding out results. Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Scott Parker, Chris Wilder, are four who immediately come to mind as being from the Allardyce school of respecting the point.

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am
BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:01 am

And you could add that in the majority, if not all, the cases they do tend to have the same approach towards grinding out results. Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Scott Parker, Chris Wilder, are four who immediately come to mind as being from the Allardyce school of respecting the point.
Yeah, which is the exact opposite of what you need for International knockout competitions. It's all well and good grinding out a 1-1 away to Moldova in a qualifying game, once you actually get to the tournament, unless you are Italy from the 70's and 80's, the defensive, negative approach rarely pays any dividends.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:26 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:04 am

Yeah, which is the exact opposite of what you need for International knockout competitions. It's all well and good grinding out a 1-1 away to Moldova in a qualifying game, once you actually get to the tournament, unless you are Italy from the 70's and 80's, the defensive, negative approach rarely pays any dividends.
Unless your Portuguese of course . Yeah I know , rarely doesn’t mean never :lol:

I think we may see a lot of it at this Euros though , especially as there’s a home and away element to most of the games this time .
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:33 pm
BillyDWhizz wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Unless your Portuguese of course . Yeah I know , rarely doesn’t mean never :lol:

I think we may see a lot of it at this Euros though , especially as there’s a home and away element to most of the games this time .
When it comes to boring their way to the trophy no one comes close to the Greek team that won it a few years back.