The Euro's 2020(21) Thread.

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

Re: The Euro's 2020(21) Thread.

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:42 pm
JayK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:19 pm Initially I was surprised we even got out the group and just as surprised we beat Germany. Yeah Germany ain’t the force of old but we didn’t look like Italy in our group. More like we stumbled out of it in 1st place.

Thought we’d beat Ukraine and to a less extent Denmark and by then I thought the cunting thing was coming home having seen the Spanish show Italy were less immortal than I 1st thought.
Europa league = marvellous achievement
Euros final = marvellous achievement

But both could and should have been Champions League and Euros winners respectfully .
Held back by cowardly managers .
All about opinions of course but imo that last bit is absolute garbage. In the case of West Ham and our 6th place finish. Do you really think we had the 6th best squad in the PL ??. If you do then fair enough but, seriously, a better squad than Spurs and Arsenal to name 2. With the squad we net I think we not only overachieved but massively overachieved. I know we can, and will, all point to the Brighton game at the LS as an example of the wrong tactics being used but overall the achievement of the manager and the coaches last season was an example of getting performances out of a squad which we all recognise as being understrength.

Obviously the England situation is different because Southgate has the luxury of hand picking his squad whereas club managers don't have that selection benefit. To say we should have qualified for the CL with the squad we have suggests maybe you should be taking a little bit more water with it old chap. ;)
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

only1salty wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:55 am
h69 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:02 am

Its a game of opinions but I always laugh when we look to blame people all the time. On here it is rare we give credit to the opposition.

I guess Southgate thought that the players had little fear as they were young. It makes me laugh that people are complaining they were too young but Southgate, Pearce, Waddle and Batty were all well established players when they missed pens in shootouts and Kane missed in the semis. Pressure affects everyone and the team had been taking penalties during EVERY session and those were the 5 that took them the best. He asked them if they were ok to take them and to be fair to them they were.

Its a fact of life that people need to blame someone. Honestly, anyone would think Sancho was the Messiah FFS. IMO Foden is better than him anyway but both had parts to play during the tournament but we were beaten by a better team on the night on a penalty shootout where the worst pen was from Rashford who is hardly a young inexperienced player. It happens.

A team has to lose and we were close this time but will be better next time since the team are very young. It happened with Germany in 2012 and France in 2016 and both went on to win the WC after. We have a great chance if the team (including the staff) are supported and not slagged off.
Your sunny disposition is like listening to someone who smoked far too much weed

If you accept defeat fine. Personally I prefer to look at the opportunity as a massive miss and for next time to be any better you need more than faith.

You need to remove those that have either reached their glass ceiling or focus too much on outside influences to really achieve the highest level. To be a top sportsperson your life has to be dedicated to it.

Ferguson was arguably the greatest manager in my lifetime. Any time a player, no matter how skillful, got ideas above his station - he dropped them

Lingard entered this tournament in the form of his life - Rashford certainly did not. We lack any form of creativity in midfield and yet we bring a half fit Henderson and tell Maddison to sit on his arse.

There are mistakes all round and these should be called out in order to improve.
Dont recall mentioning Lingard and that there was nothing wrong at all so maybe its you on the weed.

I am just realistic. They had a better team than us and we overachieved by reaching a final and taking them to pens. In 18 months time, we will be a better side. Maybe we will do better, maybe we won't but Germany and France recently proved that a near miss can be a foundation on which to build a trophy two years later.

Someone said Sancho was the best player in the Bundesliga through England tinted glasses...he wasn't of course (Haaland and Lewandowski might have something to say about that) but how do we know he would have been better than Sterling who was superb in the tournament and shit at Man City last season.

JayK

Post by JayK »

JayK wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:19 pm Initially I was surprised we even got out the group and just as surprised we beat Germany. Yeah Germany ain’t the force of old but we didn’t look like Italy in our group. More like we stumbled out of it in 1st place.

Thought we’d beat Ukraine and to a less extent Denmark and by then I thought the cunting thing was coming home having seen the Spanish show Italy were less immortal than I 1st thought.
England could and should have won .

Hurts me to say it but player for player I really think we were the best squad in the tournament…. It just didn’t get used .

Ffs I hate being so negative all the time but it genuinely felt like watching West Ham half the time .

But both could and should have been Champions League and Euros winners respectfully .
Can’t argue buddy
COYI!!!

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:09 pm

All about opinions of course but imo that last bit is absolute garbage. In the case of West Ham and our 6th place finish. Do you really think we had the 6th best squad in the PL ??. If you do then fair enough but, seriously, a better squad than Spurs and Arsenal to name 2. With the squad we net I think we not only overachieved but massively overachieved. I know we can, and will, all point to the Brighton game at the LS as an example of the wrong tactics being used but overall the achievement of the manager and the coaches last season was an example of getting performances out of a squad which we all recognise as being understrength.

Obviously the England situation is different because Southgate has the luxury of hand picking his squad whereas club managers don't have that selection benefit. To say we should have qualified for the CL with the squad we have suggests maybe you should be taking a little bit more water with it old chap. ;)
How many points did we miss 4th place by ?

I’m going to rest there . I’ve never said Moyes didn’t do a good job .
Just that it could have been so much better had a certain person been a little braver .
It could have backfired of course but then it may not have done .
We’ll never find out whilst he’s in charge and the same can be said for Horse face .
But that’s ok . Our national team is diverse and have brought us all together as a nation .

Anyone would think Viv Anderson and Cyril Regis had never existed.
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:41 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:09 pm

Just that it could have been so much better had a certain person been a little braver .
We’ll never find out whilst he’s in charge and the same can be said for Horse face .
But that’s ok . Our national team is diverse and have brought us all together as a nation .

Of course it could have been better FFS. Unless a team at some point wins every fucking match they play it could have been better couldn't it ? Yes, we might have beaten Brighton if we hadn't sent out the team we did. But we might also have lost. As we could have done against Leicester, managed by the man some see as Guardiola light, who we beat twice. We will never know what would have happened in that alternative universe will we ?

My point is that if people like you are complaining about the negativity of the manager now, after our best season in many years, god help us if and when the wheels fall off and we revert to type when the new season starts. We are West Ham United. Not the fucking Manchester one. Why can't we just enjoy the good times when they, all too rarely, come around.

Spurs fans fickle ? Not a patch on some of ours mate.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:26 pm
Newmarket wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Of course it could have been better FFS. Unless a team at some point wins every fucking match they play it could have been better couldn't it ? Yes, we might have beaten Brighton if we hadn't sent out the team we did. But we might also have lost. As we could have done against Leicester, managed by the man some see as Guardiola light, who we beat twice. We will never know what would have happened in that alternative universe will we ?

My point is that if people like you are complaining about the negativity of the manager now, after our best season in many years, god help us if and when the wheels fall off and we revert to type when the new season starts. We are West Ham United. Not the fucking Manchester one. Why can't we just enjoy the good times when they, all too rarely, come around.

Ffs ?

fickle
/ˈfɪk(ə)l/

adjective
changing frequently, especially as regards one's loyalties or affections.

Fickle ? Really ?

When has my stance / opinion of Moyes ever changed even once ?

When all the current Moyes lickers (like the Gonzo for example :lol: ) are slagging him off at Xmas because West Ham are struggling at the wrong end of the table then that’s fickle.

Say what you like about my opinions but fickle I ain’t.
Bring back Jonathon !

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:12 am
Whiskyman wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:26 pm

Ffs ?

fickle
/ˈfɪk(ə)l/

adjective

Fickle ? Really ?

When all the current Moyes lickers (like the Gonzo for example :lol: ) are slagging him off at Xmas because West Ham are struggling at the wrong end of the table then that’s fickle.

OK so ficjkle may have been the wrong choice of words. But it does seem that you didn't fully enjoy last season because your perception was that our football was dull and uninspiring. Have I got that right ?

Fact is that Moyes does what Moyes does. I don't see that his style of play has changed much from his days at Everton. And of course there were days when the football was dire. Brighton at home for me being the day we really scraped the bottom of the barrel. But overall surely you can agree that in many of our games last season we played some very watchable stuff ?

I unreservedly apologise for calling you fickle. I will rephrase and say you are not fickle, but you are one curmudgeonly cunt. ;)

Is that better ?

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Newmarket wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:12 am Say what you like about my opinions but fickle I ain’t.
OK, they are shite then

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

I was with you Jay , until you mentioned Spain showing up Italy as being less immortal and thinking the cup was coming home , "Southgate" did not manage Spain in that match my friend .

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Whiskyman wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:27 am
Newmarket wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:12 am

Ffs ?

fickle
/ˈfɪk(ə)l/

adjective

Fickle ? Really ?

OK so ficjkle may have been the wrong choice of words. But it does seem that you didn't fully enjoy last season because your perception was that our football was dull and uninspiring. Have I got that right ?

Fact is that Moyes does what Moyes does. I don't see that his style of play has changed much from his days at Everton. And of course there were days when the football was dire. Brighton at home for me being the day we really scraped the bottom of the barrel. But overall surely you can agree that in many of our games last season we played some very watchable stuff ?

I unreservedly apologise for calling you fickle. I will rephrase and say you are not fickle, but you are one curmudgeonly cunt. ;)

Is that better ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I had to google that .

Yeah I spose your right there 👍🏻
I agree with most of what you said tbf , there was some good stuff last season .
I only found some of it dull & uninspiring.

Moyes does my fucking head in when faced with the top 5 ie the Sky 6 minus you-know-who .

We lost most of em anyway so why not try to win em ?
I can’t be arsed tbh to go into each match but his approach to some of them , and of course the inexplicable Brighton shambles , was unforgivable to me .

That other cunt Sullivan must share the blame with his lack of quality recruitment though .

And finally …

We ain’t going to get better than Moyes at the minute , I know that much , but some of his in-game management and substations/tactics makes me want to stick cocktail sticks in my eyes.

Same with Southgate but he has No fucking excuses as the talent was there in that squad for all to see.
Bring back Jonathon !