West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
BlackDiamond

Re: West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:05 am
Towie wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:08 pm

Who are the usual suspects? Come on name and shame.

I don’t believe there would be many actually saying that, but let’s give them the right to reply.

Name them, name them!
That would be telling. ;)

But a cursory glance through various musings following matches we have lost would reveal them I am sure. More effort will be required than it used to be unfortunately because defeats are not as commonplace as they once were. Weather's nice today but you'll enjoy whiling away an hour or two searching for clues when it's pissing down, trust me.
I think it comes down to a perceived competency rating. So we might place Thomas Tuchel very high on an imaginary scale, Whereas David Moyes polls around 45-53% approval rating rougly speaking and that's been pretty steady throughout his career.

Unless it's a C&H poll or a Gonzo podcast of course.

The 'usual suspects' mentioned, are probably simply people with longer memories who can remember the last fuckup. And like last Sunday, you don't have to wait long to find them. It was only three weeks ago, it was decided an additional forward could wait until next summer.

At least that is my understanding of the reasons some people might be more critical than others.

As said many times elsewhere, i don't havemuch of a dog in the fight, being neither very pro Moyes or very anti.

palerider

Post by palerider »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:47 am

But a cursory glance through various musings following matches we have lost would reveal them I am sure. More effort will be required than it used to be unfortunately because defeats are not as commonplace as they once were. Weather's nice today but you'll enjoy whiling away an hour or two searching for clues when it's pissing down, trust me.
I think it comes down to a perceived competency rating. So we might place Thomas Tuchel very high on an imaginary scale, Whereas David Moyes polls around 45-53% approval rating rougly speaking and that's been pretty steady throughout his career.

The 'usual suspects' mentioned, are probably simply people with longer memories who can remember the last fuckup. And like last Sunday, you don't have to wait long to find them. It was only three weeks ago, it was decided an additional forward could wait until next summer.

At least that is my understanding of the reasons some people might be more critical than others.

As said many times elsewhere, i don't havemuch of a dog in the fight, being neither very pro Moyes or very anti.
Me neither. He's the best manager we've had since David Moyes.

Moyes out, along with Bilic.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:41 am
Whiskyman wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:27 pm In all seriousness if, say, Rice had taken it and missed I bet anyone a monkey to a pound of horse shit the usual suspects would have been on here and elsewhere screaming "why the fuck didn't he send Noble on to take it".
Yep. I imagine so. Its not like he missed the goal, just didn't hit it quite high enough and keeper guessed the right side. It happens. Even Ray Stewart missed occasionally.
I can only recall Stewart failing once from the spot. First leg against Timisoara in 1981. He'd already scored one and we were awarded a second which the keeper somehow saved. May have been others but don't recall them tbh.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:00 am
h69 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:41 am

Yep. I imagine so. Its not like he missed the goal, just didn't hit it quite high enough and keeper guessed the right side. It happens. Even Ray Stewart missed occasionally.
I can only recall Stewart failing once from the spot. First leg against Timisoara in 1981. He'd already scored one and we were awarded a second which the keeper somehow saved. May have been others but don't recall them tbh.
Oxford United in 85/86 he blazed over but I think he scored in that game later on.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

I find myself very much in the pro Moyes camp. Not because he is the new Guardiola. He isn't. But because he is, at least imo, the best we have had in a very long time and also the best we are likely to attract under the present ownership. When I think of some of the dross whose names have been suggested on forums, Gary Rowett and Lee Johnson are two I can readily recall, probably because ---well, think about it, just because : I even remember someone actually suggesting the bloody Cowley Brothers once. Mind you I have to hold my hands up and admit during his first spell I was one of the ones pushing Pellegrini's name. :lol:

Imo Moyes is the best option to modernise the club and push for the necessary upgrades to recruitment, scouting and other areas almost as important as what happens on the pitch. Of course he makes decisions we often disagree with but I'm sure if I supported Man City or Chelsea I would on occasions disagree with something Guardiola or Tuchel had done. Only after losing of course. Because hindsight is a wonderful decision making tool. Which is how we all know, for an absolute fact, that had Rice taken the penalty on Sunday we would have got a draw. :lol:
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

Footballs all about what ifs
Moyes took a gamble at that moment in time
I reckon most in the crowd were happy him bringing Noble on at that particular time to take the penalty tbh.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 am

I find myself very much in the pro Moyes camp. Not because he is the new Guardiola. He isn't. But because he is, at least imo, the best we have had in a very long time and also the best we are likely to attract under the present ownership. When I think of some of the dross whose names have been suggested on forums, Gary Rowett and Lee Johnson are two I can readily recall, probably because ---well, think about it, just because : I even remember someone actually suggesting the bloody Cowley Brothers once. Mind you I have to hold my hands up and admit during his first spell I was one of the ones pushing Pellegrini's name. :lol:

Imo Moyes is the best option to modernise the club and push for the necessary upgrades to recruitment, scouting and other areas almost as important as what happens on the pitch. Of course he makes decisions we often disagree with but I'm sure if I supported Man City or Chelsea I would on occasions disagree with something Guardiola or Tuchel had done. Only after losing of course. Because hindsight is a wonderful decision making tool. Which is how we all know, for an absolute fact, that had Rice taken the penalty on Sunday we would have got a draw. :lol:
I would agree that David Moyes is shaping the team and building a structure that is very promising and his methods have been mostly positive.

And I would have no issue if he was rewarded by being made one of the higher salaried employees at the club. That seems only natural and sensible.
All obviously dependant on fulfilment of achievable goals and targets. Like last seasons qualification for Europe involvement.

Where I would hesitate in becoming a full-on 'fan boy', like the Gonz or C&H, is with some of the recent personnel aquisitions. I'm not seeing anything bold or exciting in this area. I'm not going to suggest that Kurt Zouma is an unwanted Chelsea defender and a bit of a scuffer. But he wasn't absolutely
essential or rather he doesn't make West Ham more dangerous where they needed to be.

It's where you put the priorities or seek the most effective usefulness for your money. I would have targeted Allan Saint-Maximin and Riyad Mahrez.
Both perfect fits for West Ham and importantly both quality footballers.

And David Moyes wouldn't need to alter any of his training methods or current tactical drills. Seems a missed opportunity to me.

But then the focus on Jesse Lingard eclipsed all that other good stuff...shame

palerider

Post by palerider »

The Messiah was so fixated on Big Jesse I'm sure we missed out on other possibilities.

Only buying if it improves the squad is all very well but sometimes needs must.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I’m guessing I’m one of those usual suspects .

Never liked Moyes don’t like him and never will but I’m man enough to hold my hands up and admit that he is changing my opinions slowly , a bit at a time .

He’s proved me wrong a few times now I’m pleased to say .
For example last Sunday .
I didn’t see the game , just highlights ( the link Rick posted in the pinned thread above is excellent by the way) but from what I saw and from what I’ve heard and read since we seem to have been a tad unlucky to lose as Moyes really went for it.

I’m hoping he instructs the kids & reserves to go for it tomorrow night as well although I’m not holding my breath.
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:04 pm

I’m guessing I’m one of those usual suspects .

Never liked Moyes don’t like him and never will but I’m man enough to hold my hands up and admit that he is changing my opinions slowly , a bit at a time .

He’s proved me wrong a few times now I’m pleased to say .
For example last Sunday .
I didn’t see the game , just highlights ( the link Rick posted in the pinned thread above is excellent by the way) but from what I saw and from what I’ve heard and read since we seem to have been a tad unlucky to lose as Moyes really went for it.

I’m hoping he instructs the kids & reserves to go for it tomorrow night as well although I’m not holding my breath.
Nosher.

Moyes out !