West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
terrya1965

Re: West Ham vs Man Utd Official Match Thread

Post by terrya1965 »

I just hope he leaves Rice and Soucek at home.

garnett

Post by garnett »

I'm an unusual suspect :? whufc_crest

BillyDWhizz

Post by BillyDWhizz »

Struggling to garner any enthusiasm for this game whatsoever to be honest. He could take the U18's to OT for all I care.

This competition is pointless unless you get to the final and win and even then it's only basically a bit of worthless bling for the trophy cabinet and a place in a squad sapping play off place for an equally as pointless 'let's-pretend-it's-Europe' 'European' competition.

Besides, even if we do win all we'll probably get is another away trip to the Etihad or Anfield.
Who the fuck is General Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

palerider

Post by palerider »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:35 pm
palerider wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:49 pm The Messiah was so fixated on Big Jesse I'm sure we missed out on other possibilities.

Only buying if it improves the squad is all very well but sometimes needs must.
Moyes mentioned at the weekend that the deal was dead early in the window as he sat down with OGS and he made it clear he wanted to keep Lingard and he wanted to stay so that was that. It was just the media and the fans who thought the deal would happen.
Makes not getting a striker even worse then.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:05 am
Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 pm

I reckon you could be right there except somehow I don’t reckon Moyes will fancy the flex .

Just a feeling but if he wasn’t deemed good enough for the Jock league he’d have to have improved ten fold over the summer.

And it takes a good deal to impress Bug eyes.

I mean , why play okoflex at OT when he could squeeze an extra defender in :lol:
He may not do since Okoflex played in the week, maybe he might pick another of the kids but I dont know too much about them. I only gambled on the flex as he played in the Celtic game preseason and scored so I thought he may be selected. Maybe instead he may go 3,5,2 since we have Masuaku there and play Yarmolenko and Lanzini up top.
I didn't watch the TV game last night but apparently Liverpool played 2 or 3 of their academy kids. Man City evidently did the same. It's something we never seem to do. Either our youth players are of a lower standard than those at the clubs who do throw them in or there is a refusal within the coaching staff, not just Moyes, to use them. Either way I think questions need to be asked about our youth development program which has , in recent years, only produced Rice, who came to us on the bounce from Chelsea so to speak, and Johnson who have been anything close to good enough for the first team.

Is it our recruitment in not being able to attract decent young raw talent or has something gone seriously wrong at academy level since the 90s when, despite the first team usually being crap, the kids sometimes gave us something to be happy about. Answers on a postcard to that Ricky Martin bloke.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Towie

Post by Towie »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm

He may not do since Okoflex played in the week, maybe he might pick another of the kids but I dont know too much about them. I only gambled on the flex as he played in the Celtic game preseason and scored so I thought he may be selected. Maybe instead he may go 3,5,2 since we have Masuaku there and play Yarmolenko and Lanzini up top.
I didn't watch the TV game last night but apparently Liverpool played 2 or 3 of their academy kids. Man City evidently did the same. It's something we never seem to do. Either our youth players are of a lower standard than those at the clubs who do throw them in or there is a refusal within the coaching staff, not just Moyes, to use them. Either way I think questions need to be asked about our youth development program which has , in recent years, only produced Rice, who came to us on the bounce from Chelsea so to speak, and Johnson who have been anything close to good enough for the first team.

Is it our recruitment in not being able to attract decent young raw talent or has something gone seriously wrong at academy level since the 90s when, despite the first team usually being crap, the kids sometimes gave us something to be happy about. Answers on a postcard to that Ricky Martin bloke.
Last season we saw Ashby, Baptiste, longelo, Coventry, aloyfan (nowBolton) used in the early cup games.

Not sure Moyes will use kids against Man Utd however…
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

Towie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Last season we saw Ashby, Baptiste, longelo, Coventry, aloyfan (nowBolton) used in the early cup games.

Moyes should play the reserves , but he will more than likely only start with one youngster and that will be if we play with a back three , maybe Baptiste , though on the bench we should have the likes of Hegyi - Ashby - Alese - Longelo - Forson - Okoflex and Ekwah .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:23 pm

Fair point. But wouldn't we get more of an idea how good, or not, they were if he did play them in the more difficult games. I know Afolayan came on against Doncaster in the F A Cup and the others you mention played in the Mickey Mouse, but can't remember who we played. Guess it was some lower division outfit. Coventry is now out on loan which will give us a decent opportunity of monitoring him to see how he copes with Championship standard football, same as Odubeko. But surely the others would be better off playing in the Mickey Mouse and F A Cup games, and, hopefully, the Europa group stages if, as hoped, we qualify early, instead of fannying around in the Under 23 league ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:49 pm

I reckon you could be right there except somehow I don’t reckon Moyes will fancy the flex .

Just a feeling but if he wasn’t deemed good enough for the Jock league he’d have to have improved ten fold over the summer.

And it takes a good deal to impress Bug eyes.

I mean , why play okoflex at OT when he could squeeze an extra defender in :lol:
Yeah my moneys on that pretty much . Yarmalenko is too slow even for this imo .
Mind you so is you know who .

Not long till we find out .
I’d let aGonzo break the news but I can’t bear to listen to hear him sucking Moyes off live on air :D
Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:57 pm

Yeah my moneys on that pretty much . Yarmalenko is too slow even for this imo .
Mind you so is you know who .

Not long till we find out .
I’d let aGonzo break the news but I can’t bear to listen to hear him sucking Moyes off live on air :D
I'm looking forward to this one as I am intrigued how many levels of competence Areola is above Fabianski - i'm guessing one

And your right Yarmolenko and Noble are no longer speed merchants but at least Mark can last longer than 65 mins,so he has that going for him.
Plus should we be awarded a penalty...exactly

I will probably listen to the Gonz trumpet the team news but I'll quit when it starts getting silly... :D