Protest on Sunday

Chat about anything football related here!
h69

Re: Protest on Saturday

Post by h69 »

Parry Hotter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:01 am Saw this on CandH and thought it makes sense.

El Estrella
September 27, 2021 at 3:17 pmReply
Everyone has thwe right to protest. That’s a given in any democratic society. But isn’t protest designed to bring about change ?

What I am unclear about is what exactly this lot want to actually change. Yes, we know they want to remove the board, but boards aren’t removed by people shouting slogans and waving placards. Boards are removed when someone comes along with hard cash and buys them out.

We all know that Gold’s mouth ran away with itself before we actually moved into the LS. Nonsensical talk about retractable seating which, when it never actually materialised, was an avoidable own goal. We also know the LS has a number of aspects which could be improved to make it more “football friendly”. But, let’s face it, Upton Park had become a bloody nightmare to get to and from. And anybody who thinks we could have extended eastwards to add to the capacity conveniently forgets that would have involved more people adding to the congestion nightmare that happened every home match.

Any protests at this moment in time with the club enjoting one of the most successful periods in it’s history will be mocked by the media. And no protest has ever achieved anything without media backing. My message to these guys would be simply to enjoy the moment. But I don’t expect them to care about my opinion, or anyone else’;s, unless it falls neatly into their own little agenda. Whatever thet turns out to be.
Agree with this. Not sure what people hope to achieve.....mind you I have never understood the term 'Sack the board' either unless there is a supervisory board above the main board.

I would be annoyed if they were anywhere near the stadium so as to disrupt our fine start to the season but it turns out they assure everyone they are not in which case no cunt will hear them anyway. Its just a case of a few flat cap wearers trying to play 6th form politics in my opinion.

Its a pointless waste of time and really will look silly but was wondering if anyone on here is going.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:21 am
Parry Hotter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:01 am Saw this on CandH and thought it makes sense.

El Estrella
Everyone has thwe right to protest. That’s a given in any democratic society. But isn’t protest designed to bring about change ?

What I am unclear about is what exactly this lot want to actually change. Yes, we know they want to remove the board, but boards aren’t removed by people shouting slogans and waving placards. Boards are removed when someone comes along with hard cash and buys them out.

We all know that Gold’s mouth ran away with itself before we actually moved into the LS. Nonsensical talk about retractable seating which, when it never actually materialised, was an avoidable own goal. We also know the LS has a number of aspects which could be improved to make it more “football friendly”. But, let’s face it, Upton Park had become a bloody nightmare to get to and from. And anybody who thinks we could have extended eastwards to add to the capacity conveniently forgets that would have involved more people adding to the congestion nightmare that happened every home match.

Any protests at this moment in time with the club enjoting one of the most successful periods in it’s history will be mocked by the media. And no protest has ever achieved anything without media backing. My message to these guys would be simply to enjoy the moment. But I don’t expect them to care about my opinion, or anyone else’;s, unless it falls neatly into their own little agenda. Whatever thet turns out to be.
Agree with this. Not sure what people hope to achieve.....mind you I have never understood the term 'Sack the board' either unless there is a supervisory board above the main board.

I would be annoyed if they were anywhere near the stadium so as to disrupt our fine start to the season but it turns out they assure everyone they are not in which case no cunt will hear them anyway. Its just a case of a few flat cap wearers trying to play 6th form politics in my opinion.

Its a pointless waste of time and really will look silly but was wondering if anyone on here is going.
I trust the flat cap wearers will take their wooden rattles along with them. Nothing like a bit of 50s style nostalgia for those who like that sort of thing.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

El Estrella

I think the point here is if Fred Bloggs was unhappy with the way the club is run , considers their match day experience a shitty one , feels the ticket allocation / ticket office system needs an overhaul and was prepared to protest against those 3 Cunts (and they ARE Cunts by the way) then if they really believe in what they were trying to achieve 18 months ago then the club winning a few games of football shouldn’t change that .
And one would be pretty shallow if it did .

Regardless of Hammers United’s aims , it’s their membership that will decide how far this truly escalates.

And this weekend is the acid test for them .

A turnout poorer than their last protest will tell a story .

I hope it goes well for them but I fear the worst (from their standpoint).
Bring back Jonathon !

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:24 pm

I think the point here is if Fred Bloggs was unhappy with the way the club is run , considers their match day experience a shitty one , feels the ticket allocation / ticket office system needs an overhaul and was prepared to protest against those 3 Cunts (and they ARE Cunts by the way) then if they really believe in what they were trying to achieve 18 months ago then the club winning a few games of football shouldn’t change that .

Regardless of Hammers United’s aims , it’s their membership that will decide how far this truly escalates.

That's the way I see it NM. And if it (the protest) goes ahead, it will also, probably be on the back of another european win against the quick Viennese.

Tactically it might be better not to do it, than risk a poor attendance and then encounter media derision. Although as Adam remarked,ridicule is nothing to be scared of...

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:44 pm

That's the way I see it NM. And if it (the protest) goes ahead, it will also, probably be on the back of another european win against the quick Viennese.

Tactically it might be better not to do it, than risk a poor attendance and then encounter media derision. Although as Adam remarked,ridicule is nothing to be scared of...
Quite my friend .
Bring back Jonathon !

h69

Post by h69 »

i get it but a majority of fans are still there to watch and enjoy the team and so it seems the support for stuff like this is less intense than when we were losing games and as for match day experience, if that mattered to me then I think I would have been protesting in the 90s as once standing went from UP it was a pretty crap experience.

You are right though and it would be shallow to just stop when we are playing well but I honestly believe the PAI debacle alhas woken a lot of people up which it needn't have done if people had a longer memory. I dont believe any of our previous owners (since I was alive) have been any better but these days everyone loves a protest.

Maybe they will glue themselves to Montfichet road.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:51 pm
BlackDiamond wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:44 pm

Quite my friend .
And the other spinning plate,the general augument that any owners are preferable rather than G&S,now looks a bit weak after the PAI Capital
failed venture....a clear case of better the devil you know springs to mind...

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:02 pm

i get it but a majority of fans are still there to watch and enjoy the team and so it seems the support for stuff like this is less intense than when we were losing games and as for match day experience, if that mattered to me then I think I would have been protesting in the 90s as once standing went from UP it was a pretty crap experience.

You are right though and it would be shallow to just stop when we are playing well but I honestly believe the PAI debacle alhas woken a lot of people up which it needn't have done if people had a longer memory. I dont believe any of our previous owners (since I was alive) have been any better but these days everyone loves a protest.

One thing I have noticed is that lot of SM posts on Faceache (and the like) , and I don’t include HU or WHUISA in this , seem to be from younger fans that maybe don’t even remember the pre-Rio stand Upton Park .
Terry might know more than me as I believe he frequents some of these more than me as he’s been known to refer to them here sometimes.

As bad a shithole as Upton Park was over the years it was OUR shithole and I think there lies a lot of peoples problem and there’s no doubt that Gold running his gob off about state of the art retractable seating was the crowning turd in the water pipe .

A few people claim that they never believed any of the bullshit that GSB spewed in order to get the approval of the fan base , good for them but I , for one , was really quite excited at the prospect of the move originally.

And I really was disappointed and I’m in no rush to go again any time soon .

If some people feel strongly enough about the whole shebang to get out and make their voices heard then good luck to them .

Freedom of speech and the right to protest peacefully is one of the few rights we have left but for how long I don’t know.
Bring back Jonathon !

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:32 pm
h69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:02 pm

One thing I have noticed is that lot of SM posts on Faceache (and the like) , and I don’t include HU or WHUISA in this , seem to be from younger fans that maybe don’t even remember the pre-Rio stand Upton Park .
Terry might know more than me as I believe he frequents some of these more than me as he’s been known to refer to them here sometimes.

As bad a shithole as Upton Park was over the years it was OUR shithole and I think there lies a lot of peoples problem and there’s no doubt that Gold running his gob off about state of the art retractable seating was the crowning turd in the water pipe .

A few people claim that they never believed any of the bullshit that GSB spewed in order to get the approval of the fan base , good for them but I , for one , was really quite excited at the prospect of the move originally.

If some people feel strongly enough about the whole shebang to get out and make their voices heard then good luck to them .

Freedom of speech and the right to protest peacefully is one of the few rights we have left but for how long I don’t know.
Fair enough of course but actually I preferred UP when it was a shithole in the 70s and 80s. It is when the seats went in that huge part of my match day experience was ruined. Far more than anything that has happened since.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Fair enough of course but actually I preferred UP when it was a shithole in the 70s and 80s. It is when the seats went in that huge part of my match day experience was ruined. Far more than anything that has happened since.
I suppose the difference then was that the removal of standing was not a club driven move, but one enforced by government edict. But I agree with the point you made in your previous post that some people do seem to enjoy a protest just, on the face of it, for the sake of it. If Sunday's protest goes ahead and is supported by a significant number of people I anticipate the media being all over it like a rash, and not in a supportive way.

The club can't go back to Upton Park and Gold can't un-say his ill advised senile ramblings about retractable seating so would it not be better, and more enjoyable for them, if the protesters just took a deep breath, laid back end enjoyed the football that is, surely, the whole point of going to the match. And a winning team, playing very watchable football, is surely the biggest plus point towards an enjoyable "matchday experience" .
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?