The Offside Law

Chat about anything football related here!
Whiskyman

The Offside Law

Post by Whiskyman »

I'm sure this idea must have been floated before but since VAR arrived on the scene we've all seen situations where the position of someone's big toe caused an otherwise perfectly legitimate goal to be scrubbed out.

Just a thought but would it not maybe be better to tweak the offside rule so that if any part of the attacker's body is ONSIDE the flag should be kept down. Apparently the offside rule was introduced to stop "goal hanging" , as we used to call it as kids. Surely if part of the attacking player is level with, or behind, a defender he shouldn't be called offside because a shoulder or a part of his foot has strayed offside.

Anyone agree ?
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Re: The Offside Law

Post by JayK »

I think there’s always gonna be an argument over mm’s on whether it was on or off however you look at it. Your idea unfortunately will see good and bad calls based on mm’s too. It’s var and the clear and obvious along with the diving which needs more attention imo
Last edited by JayK on Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COYI!!!

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 am I'm sure this idea must have been floated before but since VAR arrived on the scene we've all seen situations where the position of someone's big toe caused an otherwise perfectly legitimate goal to be scrubbed out.

Just a thought but would it not maybe be better to tweak the offside rule so that if any part of the attacker's body is ONSIDE the flag should be kept down. Apparently the offside rule was introduced to stop "goal hanging" , as we used to call it as kids. Surely if part of the attacking player is level with, or behind, a defender he shouldn't be called offside because a shoulder or a part of his foot has strayed offside.

Anyone agree ?
Completely agree. Should be the law without any equivocation. I suspect the reason it isn't,is because the current rule promotes confusions and these confusions are interpreted as triggers that raise suspense thresholds. They think it's fun.

Clear and obvious morons...

eastcoastclaret
Location: Chris Eubank has written a book about ethics. If it sells well, he'll write one about Kent too

Post by eastcoastclaret »

Seems logical to me.
But since when does logic come into it when match officials are involved. Gentlemen, I give you Mike Dean as an example
gonna need a bigger boat...my thumbs have gone weird...weleese bwian...I didn't eat the salmon mousse...nice beaver...like a glove...I have nipples Greg...the details of my life...he's not the messiah....

Parry Hotter

Post by Parry Hotter »

Whiskyman wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 am I'm sure this idea must have been floated before but since VAR arrived on the scene we've all seen situations where the position of someone's big toe caused an otherwise perfectly legitimate goal to be scrubbed out.

Anyone agree ?
Yes. Would see more goals and thats what people want aint it.

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Always said that the tits up top have nothing between their ears. They talked about making the game more entertaining and with more goals , one reason for introducing the 3 point system, but they then introduce idiotic offside rules that negate a goal determined by how short a player cuts his toe nails. So yes whiskey, I agree with you
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

hd1

Post by hd1 »

Anyone agree ?
Then we will have VAR measuring whether a part of the attackers body is onside or not, it the same measurement the other way around

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

Both feet offside, , they will use VAR in close calls anyway
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

hd1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:36 am

Anyone agree ?
Then we will have VAR measuring whether a part of the attackers body is onside or not, it the same measurement the other way around
Of course. VAR would still be involved But it would result in fewer "goals" being disallowed because an attacker's boot size is one more than the defender's, As an example the one that Genk had disallowed on Thursday evening would have stood. And I'm sure there are numerous occasions we can all recall where we have been deprived because someone's shoulder strayed offside.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

tassiehammer

Post by tassiehammer »

How about doing away with offside and the millions saved on var given to Derby or any other club on its knees. :)
Just like my dreams they fade and die.
But on the positive side..............