West Ham vs Brighton Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
dagenhamdave

Re: West Ham vs Brighton Official Match Thread

Post by dagenhamdave »

As many will remember I have never been a fan of Fornals, sadly Benny is going the same way, they are normally the first to be substituted as they was against Brighton and rightly so in my opinion. I would sooner start with Lanzini.

h69

Post by h69 »

Newmarket wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:41 pm
h69 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Yea I guess then that in every game something is happening then. My point was that the players losing and gaining form is a natural occurrence and it happens constantly throughout the season. I took your post to be that something has happened since the Wolves game since you talk about what has gone wrong recently. I dont think anything is any differentto what 'went wrong' when we lost to Brentford or drew with Southampton.

I would have given Antonio and Benrahma a rest yes based on the fact that I wanted Antonio fresh for the Chelsea game where they do fear him and have a few injuries at present especially in midfield and because I thought he ran his socks off on Sunday at City (although many others did not) but while I agree that the team looked leggy on Wed, I actually thought Benrahma was better than Fornals v Brighton for most of the game (and Fornals is my favourite player), others disagree with me, that's the beauty of the game so with hindsight I would change that and probably would have rested Fornals and Antonio and played Vlasic and Lanzini but I dont watch them in training and it may well have made no difference.
I believe Antonio and Fornals had our best chances to score from what I remember and lets be honest, Fornals cross was a goal even if Soucek had not touched it so what do I know : :lol:

I dont disagree with a lot of what you say but I do think that there is no magic formula to be honest and sometimes you have to take a defeat or two on the journey.

I do think though that we could just as easily have lost the game as won it but we will never know.

Its a game of opinions. For instance, there are so many cries of putting Areola in goal instead of Fabianski in the Premier league and I dont agree with that either :)
Yes Fabianski has been well worth his place recently following a hiccup or two earlier in the season which proves your point to a degree and I’ll take your and others word for the Brighton game as I didn’t see it .

Nice to see you mentioning Lanzini in a positive.

I know you’re not exactly a fan generally ;)
I've never been a fan of Lanzini's as I thought he was overrated and gave the ball away far too much. I think his only decent season came when Payet gave him the freedom to play. He is a luxury player and just does not have enough good games in a season and for me Fornals is a much better and consistent player. I am biased though as he is my favourite player in the side.

It remains to be seen whether he is worth his place longer term but I cannot argue that he has not played well in the last two games he has appeared in and so I am happy for him to keep on getting chances for now and he seems happy with his role at the club so I cant complain there either.

Clayton

Post by Clayton »

dagenhamdave wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 pm As many will remember I have never been a fan of Fornals, sadly Benny is going the same way, they are normally the first to be substituted as they was against Brighton and rightly so in my opinion. I would sooner start with Lanzini.
Lanzini would have been to be busy covering two positions 😊😊😊 , would you have started Antonio ? , and shouldn't he have been subbed earlier .

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Clayton wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:29 am
dagenhamdave wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:21 pm As many will remember I have never been a fan of Fornals, sadly Benny is going the same way, they are normally the first to be substituted as they was against Brighton and rightly so in my opinion. I would sooner start with Lanzini.
Lanzini would have been to be busy covering two positions 😊😊😊 , would you have started Antonio ? , and shouldn't he have been subbed earlier .
I think we can normally tell what sort of game Antonio is going to have in the first twenty minutes or so tbh. If he's up for it things happen but if he's not on his game he can be a hindrance rather than an asset imo.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:29 am
Clayton wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:29 am

I think we can normally tell what sort of game Antonio is going to have in the first twenty minutes or so tbh. If he's up for it things happen but if he's not on his game he can be a hindrance rather than an asset imo.
Your mostly right here insofar that a lot of players (some) you can take a litmus test on player game outlook after 20 mins. Benrahma is one of those that seems most obvious as is Masuaku.

Antonio can look out of sorts and then do something really good. He can be brilliant in a couple of passages of play and then dismal the rest of the game.
The old joke that even he doesn't know what he will do is, often not wide of the mark. I think that is the reason that Moyes continues selecting him plus
lack of viable alternatives.

And lets not kid ourselves,even when Antonio has been brilliant, he still does a load of crap things in a game. A footballing enigma

dagenhamdave

Post by dagenhamdave »

Chelsea game today as I predicted :D