West Ham vs Brighton Official Match Thread

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: West Ham vs Brighton Official Match Thread

Post by palerider »

A must win game otherwise the season could descend into mid-table mediocrity with all the emphasis on the Europa League.

Rice HAS to play. If he's booked so be it. Far more likely to get the points against the uphill ski-ers than the plastics.

Doubt Cressie will be fit.

Towie

Post by Towie »

Not sure it a must win game, there more than half the season still to play.
It’s not what you do it is the way that you do it.

palerider

Post by palerider »

Towie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:24 am Not sure it a must win game, there more than half the season still to play.
I think it is if we want to compete for the top 4 mate.

Dwayne Pipes

Post by Dwayne Pipes »

They are certainly no push overs however
3-1 us.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Towie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:24 am Not sure it a must win game, there more than half the season still to play.
Not a must win for the reason you've given, but a very important game following two successive defeats and, in all honesty, another likely loss next weekend. As mentioned earlier in the thread Lamptey is a clear and obvious danger and I wouldn't mind seeing Johnson switched to the left with Coufal coming in on the right. Won't be easy because Brighton are a good pass and move outfit. And they haven't won for ages which, with previous West Ham sides, would have made this an away banker. Hopefully we can get our mojo back.

And FFS put Fornals in the centre of midfield to give us some creativity where it matters. I'd go with this line up

Fabianski; Coufal, Zouma, Diop, Johnson; Soucek, Rice; Bowen , Fornals, Lanzini; Antonio. Dawson played well against City but Brighton play mainly at ground level so, for me, Diop is a better option. And Lanzini deserves a start in place of Benrahma who imo has been very lack lustre of late.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

I would consider some rotation for this game. The attack has looked a little stale and the last two games (league) have seen below par performances by
Antonio,Fornals,Benrahma and Soucek.

Three of those could be rested with Kral,Lanzini,Vlasic getting some game time. It's worth considering.

A win before the Chelsea game would keep confidence high, which we all want. However I'm leaning towards a 1-1 draw.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am I would consider some rotation for this game. The attack has looked a little stale and the last two games (league) have seen below par performances by

Three of those could be rested with Kral,Lanzini,Vlasic getting some game time. It's worth considering.

A win before the Chelsea game would keep confidence high, which we all want. However I'm leaning towards a 1-1 draw.
Fornals, like pretty much everyone else, was poor against Wolves but I thought he had a decent game yesterday. But imo we have to use him in his best position which is in the centre of the midfield where his ability to spot openings can be used to better effect.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:55 am
BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:45 am I would consider some rotation for this game. The attack has looked a little stale and the last two games (league) have seen below par performances by

Fornals, like pretty much everyone else, was poor against Wolves but I thought he had a decent game yesterday. But imo we have to use him in his best position which is in the centre of the midfield where his ability to spot openings can be used to better effect.
I'm not suggesting casting players into oblivion but giving a couple a break and using some of the lesser featured potential.

Lanzini - deserves a start and has looked reliable and bright
Kral - performed well (europa admittedly) intercepts,breaks play up and recycles possession.
Vlasic - lets discover whether this guy is actually going to flourish. and we won't find out not using him

Diop - worth a recall ?

Areola - not just a europa keeper ?

palerider

Post by palerider »

BlackDiamond wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:12 am

I'm not suggesting casting players into oblivion but giving a couple a break and using some of the lesser featured potential.

Lanzini - deserves a start and has looked reliable and bright
Kral - performed well (europa admittedly) intercepts,breaks play up and recycles possession.
Vlasic - lets discover whether this guy is actually going to flourish. and we won't find out not using him

Diop - worth a recall ?

Areola - not just a europa keeper ?
Soucek needs a break so Kral or (dare I say it), Noble would be better options. Not permanently but just for this match.

And no penetration.....again. Nothing. Antonio's looking like a Championship player. Too many matches, now for Jamaica as well. We so badly need a replacement in January but right now he's the only show in town. Thanks Moyes. Whoever thought that would happen ?

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

I’m afraid that whilst we have a left back that can’t defend , yet is indispensable to the team for his contributions in other areas , Fornals on the left is pretty much a necessity.

This game though you may get your wish and not before time I might add .
Bring back Jonathon !