Should We Consider Changing The Offside Law

Chat about anything football related here!
JayK

Re: Should We Consider Changing The Offside Law

Post by JayK »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:40 pm
JayK wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm

I dunno why I’m not getting it but to me fine lines are fine lines. Doesn’t matter if a heel can keep him onside or a nose can put him offside
…or a chin of course
Well done. Didn’t he do well. You get nothing for a pair
COYI!!!

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:52 am

I did mention it on another thread somewhere. It will still come down to fine lines as you say but it would favour the attacking side, rather than the defending one which is why I think it might be worth considering. The general consensus seems to be it's goals that people want to see and that small change ought to lead to more of them.
I dunno why I’m not getting it but to me fine lines are fine lines. Doesn’t matter if a heel can keep him onside or a nose can put him offside
Yes the lines would still be there but the difference would be this. At the moment if ANY part of the attacker's body with which he can score is beyond the defender the attacker is given offside, even if, say, his foot is offside but the rest of him is level with the defender. What I'm suggesting is that if any part of the attacker is onside (i.e. level with or behind the defender) the attacker would be given onside. It should result in the award of more goals but, as you say, the VAR lines would still be there .
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

JayK

Post by JayK »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:11 pm

Yes the lines would still be there but the difference would be this. At the moment if ANY part of the attacker's body with which he can score is beyond the defender the attacker is given offside, even if, say, his foot is offside but the rest of him is level with the defender. What I'm suggesting is that if any part of the attacker is onside (i.e. level with or behind the defender) the attacker would be given onside. It should result in the award of more goals but, as you say, the VAR lines would still be there .
I’m all for more goals provided they’re in our favour :lol:
COYI!!!

only1salty

Post by only1salty »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:25 am Does anyone else, like me, often get frustrated when a goal is chalked off because an attacking player is marginally ahead of the defender and thus offside ? Obviously we need the offside rule to stop what we used to call "goal hanging" as kids but would it maybe be better if instead of a player being offside if any part of his body which can score a goal is in an offside position the rule was changed slightly so that if any part of his body is onside the goal stands ? Just a thought.
No.

All you are doing is debating where to draw the line give or take a few inches. Its will always be a millimetre decision point

I once saw a prototype at Delft University that put radio tags in players labels on their shorts and offsides were called automatically without even needing a linesman.

100% accurate and almost instant

andyginbrasil

Post by andyginbrasil »

JayK

Post by JayK »

andyginbrasil wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:40 pm This might help....or not

https://english-alaraby-co-uk.cdn.amppr ... technology
Interesting. Aren’t Hawkeye the ones who do goal line technology too?
COYI!!!

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

only1salty wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:22 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:25 am Does anyone else, like me, often get frustrated when a goal is chalked off because an attacking player is marginally ahead of the defender and thus offside ? Obviously we need the offside rule to stop what we used to call "goal hanging" as kids but would it maybe be better if instead of a player being offside if any part of his body which can score a goal is in an offside position the rule was changed slightly so that if any part of his body is onside the goal stands ? Just a thought.
No.

All you are doing is debating where to draw the line give or take a few inches. Its will always be a millimetre decision point

I once saw a prototype at Delft University that put radio tags in players labels on their shorts and offsides were called automatically without even needing a linesman.

im guessing they used electronic suspenders tied to their toes. Or maybe it was remote. shorts arent necessarily in an offside position. How did it work
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

eskimo joe

Post by eskimo joe »

andyginbrasil wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:40 pm This might help....or not

https://english-alaraby-co-uk.cdn.amppr ... technology
So some heated discussions in the pipe line,

hat and coat on.
whufc_crest whufc_crest whufc_crest

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

only1salty wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:22 pm
No.

What I am arguing is quite simply that where two players are, essentially, level (i.e. where part of one player is marginally beyond the other) then the benefit should be given to the attacking player. It doesn't require a significant rule change, simply a shift of emphasis to favour the attacking, rather than the defending , team.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?